“2nd visit just as fun!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Save Saved
You added Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark to your Saves list
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5513 Milan Rd., Sandusky, OH 44870 (Formerly Maui Sands Hotel)   |
Ranked #15 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
Wellington, Ohio
“2nd visit just as fun!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We just got back today and had a wonderful time again! Still my favorite waterpark to visit. We had an issue with our room and Stephanie at the front desk put us in a new (and upgraded!!!) room immediately! Thank you Stephanie!! We got to see our good friend Doc before we left which made my day! He's such a nice guy! Lifeguards are all so nice as well. The waterpark was practically empty. I think there were more people at Applebee's last night for dinner then were at the waterpark! I love that my kids can get right on rides and I don't have to worry about them like I do at Kalahari because of the crowd. We'll be back soon!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Denise3970:

Thank you for telling us about your visit to the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. It is always nice to hear from a satisfied guest -- especially one who has stayed with us before!

We are pleased to hear everything went even better than your first visit, and we were able to provide you with an upgraded room with minimal inconvenience.

Stephanie, Doc and the lifeguards are conscientious and understand the importance of guest service. They are wonderful ambassadors for the resort.

Glad to hear that your family enjoyed playing in the waterpark. There is a lot of fun to be had!

We are looking forward to your next visit and hope you will be staying with us soon.

752 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
North Liberty, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stopped on our stay to Cedar Point and this was by far the NASTIEST hotel we have ever stayed in. Our room smelled of mold and I was worried all night for the kids and what they were breathing in. There were stains all over our carpet, the bathroom was falling apart with holes in the ceiling and paint chipping. Seriously, this hotel is good for felons who just got out of jail who want a vacation for their family! Disgusting!! Then to add an additional $20 per person for the "water park" is a joke. It's a glorified pool at best, not a water park and it's dirty and gross like the rest of the place. I would not recommend this place at all and we WON'T be going back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jennifer B:

We sincerely apologize for the unacceptable conditions you experienced during your stay to the resort.

This was not a typical visit to our hotel and waterpark. Most of our guests have a very enjoyable stay, and many are returning guests.

We receive many compliments for our facility. Sorry we did not provide accommodation for your visit.

Please call us directly so we can talk in greater detail about your visit.

We appreciate your feedback. Guest comments will help us make improvements for the future.
Wellsville, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I just returned from a 2 night stay at Maui Sands. I booked through the Groupon deal they were running, and stayed with a group of 6 other friends (and their families) as our annual reunion (a total of 14 adults and 11 kids). The resort is quite nice, and the staff was all very friendly. Check in was simple and on time.

Room:
The first thing I noticed was that our room had a bit of a musty smell. It wasn't awful and I assumed it was possibly caused by people coming back to the room wet and dripping on the carpet. The AC unit worked great and it was nice to have a fridge and a microwave in the room being that we were with two children. The bathroom was very small but clean. There is almost NO water pressure in the shower though. The beds and pillows were very comfy.

Restaurant/bar/lobby:
Both were quite good. Our Groupon deal came with a meal voucher for a large pizza, pasta, drinks and dessert. The pizza was great, the pasta left a lot to be desired. The first day it was barely lukewarm and the second day it looked like cooked noodles with a jar of alfredo sauce dumped on top. For being included in the price, it wasn't bad. The bar was great, drinks are priced more reasonably that I was expected and all tasted very good! The lobby was great for us all to relax and have a drink after the kids went to bed. Several times hotel staff stopped and asked if we were enjoying our stay and how we liked it. The breakfast buffet served was also quite good. Pancakes, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy are not things you normally see served as part of an included breakfast! The seating was adequate and there didn't seem to be any shortage of food.

Water park:
This was definitely the best part of the whole experience. The park is nice sized, not too small but not huge. The slides were really fun. We were travelling with 9 kids, aged 3 months to 6 years and they all had a blast. The lifeguards were very friendly (and there are plenty of them), and they are very attentive. There was enough to do that we didn't get bored after 2 days.

My only complaint is that the second day we were there, I got a call while at the store that there were some electrical issues in our wing and they wanted permission to go into the room to access the wiring to check on it. I informed her that we were not at the resort at the moment but it was alright for them to do that. We returned about 20 minutes later and there were two men in the bathroom working on the wiring. They both acted like it was an inconvenience for us to be there, and said they thought we would be gone all day. My daughter needed to take a nap and when I mentioned that, I was told "It's going to be awhile yet". They did finish up quite quickly so we could get her to sleep but acting like we were inconveniencing THEM does not sit right with me because I paid for the room for the time we were there... we should have full access to it. But alas, I understand that things happen and it's good that they were trying to take care of the electrical issue right away.

Overall, it was quite a good weekend to spend with friends. It was fun and enjoyable. It's not a 5 star resort by any means but for a cheap price, it was a great experience. I recommend staying here if you are with younger children (I think much over the age of 8 or 9 might be bored easily) and plan to spend the majority of the time in the water park. As long as you don't have ridiculously high expectations, you will likely enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: We had much better luck with the 2000-section being nice an clean. The 4000 section (King rooms) we...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear KShadows:

Thank you for telling us about your visit to the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. We are glad your family had an enjoyable reunion at our resort.

It is a privilege to be part of such an important event.

We are pleased the reunion went so well and that our Team Members treated you well, check-in went smoothly and you were able to take advantage of the complimentary hot breakfast buffet.

The waterpark is an ideal location for your family outing. Plus, our lifeguards are friendly and courteous.

We do apologize for the inconvenience of the electrical problem in your room. Fortunately, we were able to make the repair with minimal intrusion.

We appreciate your feedback. Comments from our guests will help us make improvements for the future.

We hope you will stay with us again soon. Your patronage is very important to us.
Sandusky, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We checked in at 4 p.m. and went straight to our room. The room was not clean, there was hair in the sink and trash on the floors. We went down to the waterpark shortly after and had fun. Though there was a significant amount of dirt in the bottom of the pools and hot tub that was never swept out any of the three days we were there... Our kids (3 and 5) enjoyed it until the lifeguards told them they weren't tall enough to go down a slide that they had been going down all day... The lifeguards are not super kid friendly, my kids cried several times when they were approached by lifeguards for whatever little reason here and there. We slept fine in our room and went to the free breakfast. However, when we arrived they were all out of food, so after waiting 5 or so minutes the food started coming out again. It was ok, we had to ask for more milk, cups and spoons because no one was refilling them. I did spot the guy that was emptying out the trash cans then handle the food that he brought out to the buffet...ugh. (There was no way he washed his hands) We had an okay time but will not be going back. We will spend the extra money and go to Kalahari next time, that place is much better and I know our kids feel more comfortable there!!!

Dear 4Guest2014:

Thank you for staying with us. We are disappointed that you were not satisfied with your visit.

We apologize for your unkempt room. Our procedures normally prevent us assigning guests rooms that have not been cleaned and checked.

Glad your children enjoyed the waterpark. We want our lifeguards to treat all of our guests with courtesy and professionalism. However, they are required to enforce all the regulations for waterpark safety.

We appreciate your input. Feedback from our guests will help us improve in the future.

We hope you will reconsider and visit with us again soon. Your patronage is very important to us.
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

The hotel room was nasty! There was hair all over the toilet. The shower wasn't clean. The jacuzzi also had hair all over it. The breakfast isn't good. I stayed two nights and they didn't even clean it when we were out. So we had to use the same towels and everything over. Also, I didn't feel safe. Our room was right by a side entrance and that didn't lock all night. So anyone could come in. I also don't like how the rooms aren't very private. If you open your blind, anyone can see everything in your room. The waterpark isn't worth the price either. It's too expensive for what it's worth.

• Stayed July 2014
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear WhatsupMeg:

We are very sorry that we did not provide the level of guest service our guests deserve.

We want all of our guests to to have clean and comfortable accommodations and a fun-filled and enjoyable stay.

Your visit was not a typical guest experience. Most of our guests have a very enjoyable stay and many are repeat customers.

The waterpark is usually very popular with our guests. It is ideal for young families. However, teens may desire a larger variety of attractions.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide an exciting outing for you and your family. We are sure you will have a much more enjoyable stay.

olto q bery t

of our CCOMMODATIONS ralck of
dayton, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

The check-in went smoothly and the front desk staff were very helpful. However, when it came to cleaning the room the service was very poor. After my first nights stay, housekeeping only made the queen bed and didn't change or make up the kids bunkbeds. They took all the towels and didn't leave any for the next day. There was no toilet paper and they didn't do any cleaning. I expect a little more service for $250 a day. The stairwell and the hallways were filthy. I felt I could have had better service at a cheaper hotel.

Dear brettlis a:

Thank you for staying with us. We are very sorry that you did not receive the level of service you deserve.

We want our guests to have clean and comfortable rooms and to be treated courteously and professionally by all of our Team Members each and every day.

Your visit was not the norm for our property. Unfortunately, there was a lapse in our service and we sincerely apologize for the lack of guest service.

We hope you will give us anther opportunity to provide an exciting and enjoyable visit to the resort. I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable visit.
Ashland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I arrived at check-in time (4 pm) - was told they had none of those rooms available (reservations were done 2 weeks ago) and to give them a minute. 20 minutes later I checked in again, got what I needed - got a room on the 2nd floor, no elevator, but no big deal. We had to drive around the building to find the door near our room, it looked liked an abandoned building. Once we found the door, we were supposed to use a key card to get in, the door was unlocked! On our way to our room there was a Beer bottle in the hallway, door propped open with chair, dirty linen in the hallway on the floor (with nobody around). The room was super small, bunk beds were not sturdy, our air conditioner was in the bathroom (basically) and customer service was not helpful! For $169+ a night, it's totally not worth it, throw $100 or less with that and go to Kalahari.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Danielle P:

Thank you for telling us about your visit to the resort.

We are disappointed that you were not satisfied with your stay.

We apologize for the littered hallways. During busy days, we are sometimes delayed in completing all of our housekeeping duties.

Your visit was anomaly. Generally, most of our guests are very pleased with their stay. Many are repeat guests. With admission to the waterpark beginning in the afternoon of check-in and continuing through waterpark closing on the day of checkout (that is like an extra day of waterpark fun) and a complimentary hot buffet breakfast each morning, are rates are family-friendly and compare favorably to other properties in the area.

We appreciate your feedback. Guest comments will help us improve in the future.

We hope you will reconsider and visit with us again the future. I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable stay.

Been to Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!