“Too cold, front desk rude, not coming back!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark

You added Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark to your Saves list
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5513 Milan Rd., Sandusky, OH 44870 (Formerly Maui Sands Hotel)   |
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Los Angeles, California
“Too cold, front desk rude, not coming back!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We came here using a Groupon for the first time this past weekend. We had 3 moms and 4 kids. The number one complaint was it was too cold. It was too cold at check-in while the sliding glass door opened and closed while waiting for our room that was available AFTER check-in was suppost to happen. It was cold in the pool area both water temp and air temp. There was only one place to get "towels" and by towels I mean washcloths. There was a big sign next to the bin that read one towel per person I have a 2 year year old and that towel barely covered his legs. I was taking stacks of towels just to keep warm not even to use to dry off! There was so much chlorine started to smell like bleach! I saw lifeguards putiing ice in their eyes and they wren't even in the pool! At one point all 4 kids were having a coughing attack due to the chlorine "clouds" that would appear. We went into the kid friendly hot tub which should be renamed lukewarm area for kids. That place was packed AND pumping COLD water from the jets. The adult hot tub was OUTSIDE. The temp outside hsd to be 27 degrees tops! I was just waiting for the water trail from the tub to the door to freeze and turn into a luge. The food was ok but mostly fried which there was some healthy choices. The room was interesting. I liked how the kids had there own bunkbed area but there wasn't a door so we all had to be very quite when the kids went to bed. Also the drapes are faux. Which I had nevet even seen before. While in the master bed the parking lot light would shine into the room. It was so bad that at 5am one of the children woke up to go potty and then begain screaming that it was morning and time to go to the pool beacuse the sun came up. He then began to wake up the rest of the children and parents. It was awesome. Then the fire arlams started later in the morning. They were so loud it made you brain shake. We were getting the kids ready to go to the pool when this hapoened. Grabed all the kids with sweatpants and shirts and ran down the stairs. We rush into the lobby and shouted is there a fire? The young lady Steph at the front desk gave no reply. Again we ask should we take the kids outside is there a fire?! She turns to us and says No! Why dose everyone keep asking me that?! I dont know maybe because every alarm in the building is going off?! So sorry to bother you with crazy question!! After about 30 min the alarm stopped. We were packing and had to keep all 4 kids in the bathroom as it was the quitest place in our room away from the alarm . Finally it stopped we all cheered. Then in about 5 min later it started AGAIN!!!! The only pluses this place has is that all most all of the lifeguards were exceptionally nice, there was also a gentleman named Doc would was kind and friendly and the bartender Rick was awesome. I hope when this place goes under they will all be able to find good jobs, they desvere it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

As another review said, the room was chilly when we first arrived, but after about 10 mins of the heater on high, it was warm enough. Going from room to water park in our bathing suits was a bit chilly but tolerable. The hot tub was luke warm as well but the slides were amazing and the lifeguards kept the lines moving quickly, so you never had to wait long. Doc was asking every guest if there was anything he could do to help and listening to everyone. He did mention that one of the main boilers was out and that they were actively fixing it. We loved the room and the pizza deal as well as breakfast was delicious.

Room Tip: If you have kids, definitely go for one of the suites with bunk beds. The sliding door seperating t...
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Just got Home From OuR Stay! I Never Write Reviews But Thought I Would Save Someone Some Money! Check It Was Easy, Got To The Room And Found Hair In My Tub And On The Floor. The Waterpark Was Freezing!!!!! Everyone Was Shaking And Had Blue Lips As Soon As We Got Out Of The Water! My Daughter Got Chlorine Rash On Her Face! My Husband's Eyes Burnt Just Walking Into The WaterPark! Please Save Yourself The Frustration!

• Stayed November 2013
Stow, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

When we arrived, our room was about 50 degrees. We immediately turned the heat on and my family huddled around the heater with our coats still on for about 10 minutes or so. We changed into our bathing suits (still freezing) and headed to the waterpark area. I noticed how cold it was throughout our walk, but I figured it was just because we were still cold from being in that cold room. We went to the family spa hoping the warm water would warm us up. It was nowhere near warm. It felt slightly warmer than my pool water in the summertime, which is around 72-74 degrees. My son played in the kiddie area for a little while and we headed back up to the room. It was still pretty cold, so I filled up the bathtub with hot water and sat in it. Eventually, the room warmed up and we all felt better. We had a snack and decided to head back down to the waterpark. As we walked down the stairs and through the hallway, I realized it was still very cold throughout the entire building. Even after entering the waterpark, none of us wanted to get into the water because it was not warm there and the water was chilly. My son played in the kiddie area again. It is only 3"-4" of water, so that is probably the warmest area! I thought while my husband watched my son, I would sit in the adult spa. Well, it is OUTSIDE!!! And there was no way I was going to walk out there. We went on November 23, 2013. I can only imagine how cold that place is in February! We did not do the lazy river or any of the water slides because the water was just way too cold. We were not the only people to think so, either. We overheard people talking about how cold it was. We saw people with towels on their shoulders, trying to bundle up and just dipping their feet in. Most people had their arms crossed looking like they were trying to get warm. This is a very small waterpark. Great Wolf Lodge is much larger with a lot more to do for about $50 more per night. And Kalahari is probably 5 times larger and MUCH nicer for about $100 more per night. This was our first time and Maui Sands and we will not ever go back. It is sad, because it could have been so much more enjoyable if we were more comfortable and not freezing the whole time. I would recommend paying a little bit more money and go to one of the other indoor waterparks in the area. You will have a more enjoyable stay with a much larger waterpark area.
There are some positive things I will say... It was very clean. Our room had a mini refrigerator, microwave, and a nice size flat screen tv. The staff seemed nice and friendly. The beds were comfortable.
I think Maui Sands has to potential to be an affordable, little family-waterpark but they really need to turn up the heat!!!

Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay and specially the service. Dorothy, Karen, and Doc were awesome and always willing to help!!! The location is close to a lot of things you can do with the kids. We stayed using a groupon on a Saturday for 128. It included 4 passes and a pizza dinner. We also got breakfast which was a bonus. But get up early or there is a line. The park itself would have been awesome if it was actually 82 degrees. It was closer to 72 and even my kids didn't stay in long. Even the hot tub was Luke warm. We did go on the slides and the pink and blue bowl slide is awesome!!! We had a room that had a queen and four bunk beds. The kids loved the setup but the mattresses on the bunks are not that great. The mattress on the main bed was nice.

• Stayed November 2013
Toledo, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Five star fun on two and a half star pricing {even less if you got the groupon} Maui Sands is fantastic this was my second trip in four months the room and staff there are helpful and friendly its clean and fun my daughter and her friends just love the waterpark its body slides n tubers are fun, I have fear of heights so it was a little challenging going up the stairs ,the ride down though made it worth the trip up! If your in need at nighttime Doc is your man he'll help with whatever you might need with a kind word and a smile on his face! Miss Dorthy in the morning God love that woman she's there with her cloth in hand wiping up and picking up after everybody some guests there were messy and inconsiderate at the hot buffet but the worst thing is to leave your empty cream n sugar wrappers on the counter for Miss Dorthy to pick up when the trash can was two feet away. I cannot forget the best of all my girl Steph cool as a cucumber that one on our day of checkout somebody pulled the fire alarm the lobby filled with woman and children ,the mothers were very upset a couple of them even yelled at her telling her how she should do her job! She handled it with an apology, explanation and a smile very professional I thought considering they seemed to blame her personally for the alarm going off. I will definitely be going again this is by far my favorite place to vacation.

Lansing, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We visited on Friday November 15 and checked out Sunday, November 17...I researched this place and got a lot of mixed reviews so I was nervous, we already booked our room and crossed my fingers and hoped for the best...i had the greatest weekend!...our hotel room was very clean, my 4 teens loved the bunk bed set up, our bed was comfortable, housekeeping was nice, front desk was friendly, i was very pleased. The water park was very clean, chlorine was a bit strong but the life guards were friendly and paid attention, even had small talks with us as we drifted by on the lazy river...we met a man who worked there named Doc that was super friendly and helped us out Saturday night when a bunch of kids thought it was funny to knock on peoples doors and run...obviously unattended...not the hotels fault...he knocked on their door and told the kids to leave us alone in the nicest possible way and then everything was good again! When my kids got bored and asked the front desk where the arcade was she gave my kids some free tokens because she said their arcade wasnt all that great...they still made the most out of it and won an inflatable bat...free breakfast was great, come at 7 so u wont have any long lines...a big plus is the walmart across the street, applebees and bw3, kohls...please check out ghostly manor....its on the same street and go to their haunted house....awesome!...i rode the toilet bowl slide with my hubby...only slide he and I ever rode and it was a blast! a ripped a whole in my bathing suit from it getting dragged on the slide but i survived it...im not a great swimmer but i survived...it was epic for me...lol...my kids want to go back...again...hasnt even been a week since we left but they already missed it....we would definitely go again!...we loved it...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!