“All fake” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Save Saved
You added Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark to your Saves list
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5513 Milan Rd., Sandusky, OH 44870 (Formerly Maui Sands Hotel)   |
Ranked #8 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
“All fake”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I had recently wrote a review on trip advisor about maui sands being "managed properly" but it turned out completely false!!!
My family and I traveled to maui sands because of its new water park and I had a major problem upon check in... The room I originally booked (threw the hotel) a king jacuzzi suite was not the room I walked into. Walked all around for 10 minutes until I found the room and was not it at all!! The hotel on the sides of the building looked like a cheap motel. Its layout is so complicated, buildings have numbers and stairs with no elevators and I don't even want to mention the smell (awful). Went back down told the receptionist she said I'll move you to another room, this was after half an hour of explaining the rooms were wrong! She even came with me and showed me the other room and STILL was the wrong room. She upgraded me to the best suite available, it was very spacious and nice and comforting. Finally I started my weekend vacation with my family and even tho I was in a good room I still felt uncomfortable just because check in never been so difficult. My son and nieces and nephew LOVED the waterpark they had a great time. So when it was all over we went home and the next day was still feeling uncomfortable about my experience, so I called and spoke to the hotel manager JEFF, he told me I'm sorry and we care about our guest and blah blah blah and offered a free room for one night. I was happy because I didn't call to get anything but to make sure the staff knows how to assign rooms to guest. So I wrote a good review about the place being managed properly, and still waiting for my certificate for my free room, and waiting a month passed and NOTHING! So I called and spoke to him again and he didn't even know who I was even after explaining my situation again, and asked him for the certificate he said he sent it but will send another one again... So it's been 3 months and NOTHiNG !!!!!!!! So much about them caring for their guest.

Room Tip: If you decide to go to maui sands I recommend you stay in the main building only it's the newest...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

690 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We had a great time the staff was very helpful starting with Christine at the front desk to Doc and also the food was great from Tony the cook. We had a ball on our 2day mini vacation:) We will definetly be back

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Very clean, nice water park but seems to not be fully functional if not busy. Some areas were closed in the park and not accessible probably due to not enough guards on a slow day. Consider water park is relatively small we did not like the fact that we could not get into couple areas. Dont expect much but decent for the price.

Stayed October 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

it was dirty. Spider were in the conner of the wall. Breakfast was till 930am they didn't have much. Then we went to cedar point came back room wasn't clean no new towels no new sheets or bed was not made. It was just disgusting.

• Stayed October 2013
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed one night at the Maui Sands and had a wonderful experience! The desk clerk was so welcoming and our room was clean and ready for us when we arrived. My son who has autism gets anxious around crowds and loud noise. This smaller resort was perfect! The lifeguards were very friendly and attentive. Some of them were adorable the way they interacted with the smaller children. It's a clean park and a great value! Perfect for famies who have young children. Our kids are ages 11 and 7(twins) and they cannot wait to return!

• Stayed October 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We have stayed at all the other waterparks in Sandusky. This is comparable to Great Wolf -- has 2 body slides, and 2 tube slides, lazy river, hot tub, activity area, basketball hoops, and toddler area. When my kids complained it was "not big like Kalahari," I reminded them it is bigger than a pool at any other hotel and the crowds much better. (We have stayed at Kalahari, where the parking is far from the hotel, and can stand in line an hour for a ride.) This was great--hardly a wait and the lifeguards were very nice. The "toilet bowl" tube slide was the favorite of the kids.

We wanted to try the "Volcano Grill" but when waiting to be seated and standing in the area of the bar/grill, no one told us (there was just the bartender) where to go or to order. So we went to an outside restaurant. This was the only waterpark we have stayed at that offered free buffet breakfast-- and it was hot and good variety. The bunk room was great for us and the kids.

Minuses include hearing foot traffic and voices outside the room, and cleaniness was fair -- found many things on the floor that should have been caught by a vacuum.

As a whole, we had a very nice time and will likely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jules E, Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Aloha
Thank you for giving Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark your review, Yes, we are a much smaller Waterpark compared to other Waterparks in the area. But we do have an awesome Indoor waterpark that all ages can enjoy. I am sorry no one gave you the information about our Volcano Grill that serves a variety of meals. I have since talked to our staff to be more attentive to guests. We also would like to apologize on the cleanliness of the Hotel, you are completely correct that things that should have been picked up by a vacuumed were missed. I have since spoke with Housekeeping to slow down and take more time when vacuuming. We hope you will give us another try in the future.

Mahalo
Wapakoneta, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Nothing special and a little on the rundown side. We stayed for one night after a day at Cedar Point. It was fine for a place to shower and sleep. Got the room through a Priceline
Express deal but I wouldn't have been happy with the place if I'd paid full price. Not worth it in my opinion. We didn't use the waterpark or eat here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Aloha
We are truly sorry our Hotel was not up to your standards, we truly pride ourselves in having a nice Hotel and taking care of the guests that stay with us. Please also know that were are going through a transition here at the Hotel, Our owners who purchased this Hotel have every intention of making this a world class Hotel. Once construction and repair are complete, we would like to invite you back. As for the cleanliness of the Hotel, you are correct and we have since spoken with our Housekeeping staff. We hope that you will reconsider and visit with us again.

Been to Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!