“Great Affordable Family Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Save Saved
You added Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark to your Saves list
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5513 Milan Rd., Sandusky, OH 44870 (Formerly Maui Sands Hotel)   |
Ranked #8 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
Northeast Ohio
“Great Affordable Family Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Found Maui Sands when looking for an affordable, last minute family stay for a night in the Sandusky area. Key word is "affordable" and as I checked out the other hotels on the Milan Rd strip, I was all smiles when I saw what Maui Sands has to offer for our little getaway. I immediately checked the hotel out on Trip Advisor and called to book. From my initial phone call, the staff is very friendly and accommodating. The location is great...right off the Rt 2 exit with plenty of different food/eating choices to please any budget. Upon entering, the hotel is very nice, clean, and theme is very tasteful. We had room on the 2nd floor with the king bed/bunkbeds. We were even more impressed from what was shown online. My boys loved having their own "room" and TV and so did we! Loved the fridge/micro and the way we could slide the doors to close our "room". The pool was very nice (a little cool like a previous post) and opened til 11pm on weekends which is nice for when we came back. The whole water park area was secured off limits but looks like lots of fun when it opens. My husband and I would have loved to see a hot tub as a treat for parents since the kids would have the waterpark and we think could easily bw put in the area. Breakfast was just right.

There are a few reasons why I couldn't give all 5's accross the board which I wanted to. Service: the service was very friendly and good, however (keeping in mind it's November) there was only one person running everything. The person running the front desk also would have to tend the bar too. We had a very nice drink and would have ordered more later, however we felt bad "bothering" for another while she was busy with other clients. Management needs more on staff so at least one other staff person could be there to help. For example, my boys and I were at the pool and even though I was watching the clock, the lights in the entire pool area were turned off right at 11 while my boys were still in the pool! We carefully found our way out of the area, however someone should have checked to make sure the area was empty....could have had someone floating in pool in the morning! Kids Activities: as I said pool was nice, but gave 3 because couldn't comment on the waterpark yet. Also, we brought quarters for the arcade which was very far away in the hotel (old section) behind double doors that were marked with EXIT so we weren't sure and not one game worked (this was mentioned in a previous post too). Management should have knowned and marked closed. Our reason for sleep quality marked with a 3 is because a large party was placed next to us and the kids were very noisey and ran the halls and elevator night and morning...not managment's fault but we maybe could have had a buffer room between us.

All said, we were all smiles with our stay and would definitely stay again and would recommend to others (and have). Counting on the management company to continue on a good path they seem to be making for when the waterpark opens for the busy summer season next year. Hope they keep the value/budget in mind. Maybe a "package" or "special" like other hotels to draw more. My kids want to come back to check out the waterpark.

Room Tip: If available, get the room with bunkbeds no matter how many kids you have with you.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MauiMarkOH, Owner at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Hi Budget Cautious Mom!

Thank you for all your great comments. We love to get constructive comments that will help us improve the guest experience. We are and have been addressing each issue you mentioned in your review for us! I look forward to your return and getting those fives!

690 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Frederick, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed here for just a late season weekend to go to Cedar point. Got the room with the King bed for me and the bunks for the kids. Pools was nice and warm on a chilly day, and should be really nice when the indoor water park remodel is done. Room was clean, services was quick and courteous and the rate was great.Continental breakfast was good, they had fresh donuts along with the standard fair. Looking forward to going back next year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hi Steve!

Wow! Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed our hotel. We are also looking forward to finishing the pool area. It will be really great fun! I look forward to serving you again soon!

Jackson, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The experience at the hotel was great. The rooms are comfortable and the hotel is very well designed. The theme of the hotel is also very great. There was a big water park, however it is closed now. The water park opens next year, it will be even more fun.

Room Tip: If you are with kids, I suggest the new building which has 4 bunkbeds for young children.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hi Ron!

We are thrilled you had a great experience at Maui Sands! Our theme and design is unique and was great to hear how much you enjoyed it. The Water park is opening soon and is very exciting! We are looking forward to your return!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Nice hotel. Will be great when everything is finished. Pool was open and was nice. The water was warm and relaxing. Stayed in room on second floor with king bed and two sets of bunk beds. Very spacious and clean. Hallway was nice as well, but we were glad we didn't stay on the first floor. That hallway looked a little dirty and hardly anything in the arcade was working.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi SMulkerrin!

Thank you for your great comments about the pool area and your guest room! I apologize for the condition of the first floor hallway and arcade games not working. Thank you for letting us know! The issues are being resolved. We look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Eagan, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We decided to roll into the unknown realm after our plans to visit and stay on Cedar Point fell through. Rain also kept us from the park on Friday night, so we picked a place to check into before we caught a flick.

This hotel has been dormant for a few years so I was hesitant. I was proven wrong quickly, what a nice place. They have huge rooms (especially for just us two in a 1 king room) that are very clean, and they have a "kitchen" area with the standard mini-fridge and what not. (It does look as if there is a new and an old part so there could be a massive difference between them.)

My only complaint is that the bathroom door didn't latch because the door wasn't wide enough. It gave me a chuckle since I have set doors before.. But, it wasn't an issue since it was just my wife and I.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Lukus612!

I am so thrilled you decided to give Maui Sands a chance and were Not disappointed! All of the rooms are the same theme and really great! Next time you come we will show you the other room types. I apologize for the door not latching, we will definitely take action. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Springfield, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The hotel was just ok. It felt very empty and felt for sure unfinished. Some of the staff seemed like they didn't know what they were doing or had worked in the hotel industry before. But everyone was ver nice. Our room felt like it was from the 1980's even though these were new. Some of the paint was unfinished and there was a stain on the carpet. There was also hair all over the bathroom floor. I think they should have waited to open until everything was complete and they were ready. Just felt a bit unorganized at times. The room key was a bracelet too which seemed strange, regular room keys would be better. It was cheap which was nice and close to everything.

• Stayed August 2012
Hi Stephanie!

I am very disappointed you had this experience with us! I am happy the staff treated you well. I hope you give us another chance to change your perception of Maui Sands. I look forward to your return. It will be our pleasure to ensure a great experience for you!!

Have a Great Holiday!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Family friendly and fun! Rooms were spacious, staff was top notch, price was excellent for the area, and very comfortable and convenient lobby area with a beautiful bar area! My wv family and oh family net there for a weekend at cedar point! It rained so the park was a bust but we enjoyed the hotel for the two nights we were there! The kids were able to go off on their own and experience the arcade and the large swimming pool! The waterpark wasn't open yet but it looked like its going to be awesome! The adults were able to hang out in the lobby/bar area and have a view if the indoor water park! The kids all gave the complimentary breakfast a 10! Very pleased ad will be returning soon!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Hi Kmeninger!

I love the title of your review for Maui Sands!! Thank you for letting the secret out!! It was a pleasure having your family as our guests. Thank you for all the great comments. The Water park will being opening soon! We look forward to your return.

Have a Great Holiday!

Been to Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!