“good price, avg. quality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark

You added Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark to your Saves list
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5513 Milan Rd., Sandusky, OH 44870 (Formerly Maui Sands Hotel)   |
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“good price, avg. quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Went to Cedar point for the day and needed a place to stay overnight. We decided to stay here because of the good reviews and the price that we negotiated. The hotel staff is inexperienced but everyone was very nice and helpful. You can see the hotel great from highway 2, but from Milan street it is behind a few things and the lobby was hard to find. (Maybe this will be fixed with more renovations) The lobby is newly renovated and looks great. The rooms looked like they were renovated but the renovation was not a high quality. The bathroom tile floor had no base around it, there was a 2" hole in the bathroom ceiling, the bathtub had a big wear spot in it. The beds were very comfortable and the refrigerator and microwave was a nice touch.

Overall this hotel was adequate for what we needed - A comfortable place to sleep for a good price. I would recomend this hotel to anyone who needed a place to sleep for a night, but I wouldn't stay here for any longer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Athens, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We opted for this hotel because of bed arrangements and other TA reviews. We had teen son on king bed, myself and two younger teen daughters shared the bunk room. The bunks are small, but comfortable. I'm 5'6" and slept fine (amusement parks are tiring!) We re-sheeted the beds because they are made up with the twin sheet folded in half length-wise, but that is understandable. The only other glitches IMO were that the bathroom door lock didn't work (no prob for us) and there were no hooks on doors or walls in bathroom to hang up wet towels (again, one night-wasn't a problem). Double vanity outside the bath was great. All was clean.

I was pleased with the quietness of our room--even tho' right off the lobby, we didn't get any outside noise and slept peacefully. The kids were disappointed in not getting the full water park experience here (hard not to be when you see the fun stuff looking ready to go) but I had told them it would be just a pool. This was pleasantly warm and relaxing after a long day. The breakfast was fine too. Front desk check-in was friendly and competent. Would stay again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hamilton, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

ScrappingMomof3's description captures the experience of the Maui Sands very well. The room was clean and new with 4 bunk beds and a king size bed. Everything worked. It was as good for my son and me as a suite would have been. The breakfast buffet was sparse. We went up the street to a Perkins restaurant instead. The pool is part of a small waterpark which is under construction. There was no lifeguard and there was no attendant to ensure that the area was kept clean and neat. There was an ample supply of clean towels. The men's public washroom was in great need of a good cleaning. There was no toilet paper but I was able to get some from the person at reception and I was trusted to take it to the washroom myself. The hotel appeared to be understaffed. However, the price was right, my son and I had a good time and I would consider staying at the Maui Sands again.

Geneva, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We were coming back from the East Coast and were stopping to take our kids (14,12,8) to Cedar Point. I was looking for a simple hotel with a pool and breakfast, since I knew we'd be spending our day at the park. I found Maui Sands on Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try. We stayed for 2 nights. I wasn't expecting much, based on the reviews I read.
We were able to find the hotel ok, since it is right off the highway and has a big sign on the building, but the access road to it is a little tricky, but nothing too difficult. Check in was a little less than stellar...the front desk person didn't really say much about the pool hours (which I will get to in a minute), the hours of breakfast and any other tidbits about the hotel, ie. elevator locations. She wrote my room number on a small sheet of paper, which she just literally tore off. I started to get worried. I asked her to rewrite on the map she gave me because I would loose that little piece of paper.
We got to the room and things started to perk up. The kids were excited about the bunk beds and the separate king bed room was also nice. It was nice to have the separate rooms. The bunk bed area did have it's own tv (I read in other reviews that this was missing in some). The bathroom looked new and clean. The sink room had double sinks and ample sink area. Overall, I was impressed.
The waterpark/pool area was part closed and open. The main pool part was open. You can see the slide, lazy river and the big bucket thing waiting for water. It's definately smaller that the Great Wolf, etc, but if you have younger kids, I think this will be a perfect place. To me it just seemed dark, but that could change, I guess if it was fully functioning. I thought the pool was fine, to me it felt it had too much chlorine. It would be nice to see it when it's all done.
The breakfast was good enough for us. The basic cereals, bagels, hard boiled eggs, coffee, fruit, etc. It was nice that the eating area was big enough to spread out.
The elevators are definately a sore spot. We were on the 4th floor and it definately was faster to take the stairs, at times. Espcially during "busy" times.
Their room keys were also interesting, They were bracelets that you help up to the door to unlock. It was nice to wear and not have to worry about it rubbing against your cell phone. I wore it all day at Cedar Point and it worked great.
Overall, for the price we paid (I believe about $80/night), it was definately worth it. We needed a clean place to say, with pool and breakfast and that it what we got. The bunk beds/separate room was a plus. Would stay again, if the price doesn't get too ridiculously high.

Riverview, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had two rooms both were the king with bunk beds. The rooms were a good size. The only problem I had was the carpet it was all stained up in both rooms. That may not bother most people but it did me. The bunk beds were good enough for the kids but not for an adult ( too cramped). The pool would have been nice but the water was cold. I dont think they had a heater. We woke up at 6:30 so we could go get the breakfast but after seeing it we decided to go to bob evans down the road. Overall the location was good just 10min max from cedar point the staff was excellent very friendly worth the money. We already plan to book for next year's cedar point trip.

toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We got there and the water park was closed. Check before you book. or stay at the better water park across the road G W L. The front desk humm! lets just say that one of three front desk girls were we met were helpful. If you want the AAA rate make sure you have your card. They say the have a breakfast big disappointment. Park is about five miles from hotel. Good place to spend the night but would not stay here again. Cleaning staff is wonderful they should be running the front desk.

Room Tip: No elevators get a room on the mail floor. The bunk beds are very narrow and not to comfy. Get two...
Frankenmuth, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here for a Cedar Point getaway and were delighted with the room. Hotel is very nice and clean and staff is quite friendly. Two of our party have mobility problems (wheelchairs) and we never know what to expect when we sign up for an ADA room. We were delighted to find a very clean room with plenty of space to park and recharge our chairs. Beds are at normal height (some hotels have beds very high which makes it hard to transfer from the chair). Bunk be room was really cute. We will likely stay here again if rates don't go too high when water park opens. Some folks posted that the elevator was slow, but we had no problem. It was fast enough for us. Thanks.

Room Tip: ADA room 4408 is just 1 room away from elevator and quite convenient.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!