“never again,I'll just sleep in the car” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Hotel Sandusky

Save Saved
You added Magnuson Hotel Sandusky to your Saves list
Magnuson Hotel Sandusky
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5918 Milan Rd, Sandusky, OH 44870 (Formerly Best Budget Inn Sandusky)   |
Ranked #31 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
buffalo, new york
“never again,I'll just sleep in the car”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2004

Inn was rated 3 stars according toAAA. Saw review after I booked a 2 night stay. On edge when I got there about staying. Customer at desk asking for ice bucket, reply was , we don't have anymore. Mentioned review to clerk, she acted shocked. Went to my musty, dirty room. Bathroom floor dirty, hair on floor. 1/2 roll of toilet paper. Went to desk to complain, siad room would be cleaned. Went out with my kids to buy pillows, lightbulbs, candles, cleaning supplies. Blanket had burn holes, spread ripped. Kids slept in their clothes, on top of spread. Changed all the bulbs, changed shower curtain and bought mat for tub. Also bought towels and washcloths. Didn't want to wash with a stained washcloth. Where's the clock radio, HBO and showtime. Told HBO wasn't working and that they didn't have the advertised Showtime. Park discount was a Pepsi can. Security was the greatest, dim halls and the doors were either proped open or unlocked all night. only 2 dim lights on until 9 pm, then the overhead lights were turned on. I paid $110.00 for a Saturday night, $60.00 for Sunday night. $180.00 for stale pastry and weak coffee.

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2004

well i agree with everyones post on here about the hotel and the hotel service ... but when i checked into this crap i wasn't expecting much. i spent 36 bucks for one night in a room here NEAR CEDAR POINT,now keep in mind all of the other nice hotels within a 5 miles from cedar point are at least 90 bucks a night for weekdays and at least 200 on a weekend (don't believe me? check for yaself).
so when i got my room all i wanted was a BED because i was only there to sleep and wake up and leave for cedar point in the morning... the room was horible there were 2 flys in the room the room, the bathroom smelled like someone had just got finished doing #2 in there and the carpet was dirty... BUT there was a bed with clean sheets (no stains) so i was happy about that. my only real big complaint about this hotel was that it had a very awful nasty skinky funky musty mildewy smell to it,and although my stay there was horrible i give this hotel 2 dots because when you pay cheap money on a hotel room u shouldn't complain when u get cheap service and a bad room .... so bottom line is spend the extra cash and get a nice room somewhere else......

P.S this hotel did have a nice shuttle bus service to cedar point.. this is a great service seeing that u don't pay for parking and u get droped off right in front of the gate (when u park u have to walk a while if u don't get there early)

Columbus, OH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2004

I recently stayed in this property with my sister and her four children. We had two rooms. Arrived late at night after a long day and just wanted to get the kids in bed. I had several small complaints that I made note of that night. I was told by the front desk clerk the manager would be in the next morning, so I figured I would speak to her then.

We were awakened at 7:15 AM when the fire alarm went off. We were kept from our rooms for two hours in a misty rain, not because there was a fire. We were kept from our rooms because motel staff could not figure out how to shut off the alarm once fire department personnel determined the cause of the alarm. My understanding is motel personnel eventually disarmed the entire system, leaving all motel rooms without that security feature.

It took nearly two hours for the manager to arrive on the premises. She had a number of disgruntled guests awaiting her. What I witnessed was the worst example of customer service I have ever experienced. She claimed she did not work "24-7" to explain why it took her so long to show up, even though she had two fire trucks and an emergency services vehicle in her parking lot.

While waiting my turn to speak to her about my complaints, guest after guest in front of me voiced remarkably similar complaints: questions about whether their room(s) had been cleaned prior to their arrival; no towels; no toilet paper; blood on sheets; burnt out light bulbs; no batteries in the TV remote; floors so dirty they did not want themselves or their children walking in their barefeet.

People who complained were clearly upset and at times raised their voices. At no time did anyone shout at or threaten the manager. Nonetheless, she threatened to and did call the police who arrived much more quickly than she did.

It was also a bit of a hassle to get out of staying here. I made my reservations through Orbitz. Before they would let me out of my second reserved night, Orbitz had to confirm with the Best Budget folks that I was accurately describing my situation.

I will NEVER stay here again. The property looks OK in the internet pictures. The reality is something entirely different. And the staff does not remotely understand what constitutes minimally adequate customer service. Their contempt for their customers was stunning.

maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2004

I would advise that you stay somewhere else. The room that was roomy enough for seven people, but the overall service was poor. The room was in poor condition, and was not cleaned very well. There were not enough towels in the room, and when we called the front desk about the situation we had to come over to get more. The cleaning people failed to make the beds in the mornings, no fresh sheets, they didn't clean the bathroom, or the room in general. We were never able to get the old musty moldy smell out of the room our whole stay. The Television was broken, and when we brought this to the attention of the management, no one responded. This was not a good place to stay because of the service.

• Stayed January 2005
Streamwood
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2004

We booked this hotel through expedia. The rooms were Fair to poor at first glance.We stayed in a suite. Could be a nicer place if the management cared about the property. THE POOL WAS CLOSED BY THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT! after spending a few nites there I completly understand why. there is no one that cares. The houskeeping was pitiful. The front desk staff was sympathetic but seemed to have no one to report problems to. After the lines of complaining guests I am surprised they can get anyone to work there. Our room was dirty from the start and we asked for it to be cleaned. It Never happenned. The place was musty and had cobwebs and a good amount of various bugs. burned out or missing light bulbs. BADLY stained bedspreads. (one of them the corner was actually burned Off as if it had caught fire.Scorch marks by airconditioner electrical outlet were noticed also.Pretty scary place to be. We were a family of six on a holiday weekend and had no where else to get a room so we stuck it out and asked for some cleaning up.I would not let the kids sit on the floors and Thank god we had our own pillows and a few blankets in our car, It helped us sleep a little better.They did give us clean towels and sheets(just left them for us because they Forgot to come back and make up the rooms OR take away used towels) but there were no bars to hang them on they had been pulled off the walls and not repaired.
Do not go there EVER > Be warned.

• Stayed July 2004

Been to Magnuson Hotel Sandusky? Share your experiences!