“Bates Motel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Hotel Sandusky

Save Saved
You added Magnuson Hotel Sandusky to your Saves list
Magnuson Hotel Sandusky
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5918 Milan Rd, Sandusky, OH 44870 (Formerly Best Budget Inn Sandusky)   |
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Plum, Pennsylvania
“Bates Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

High-priced, very dirty, low quality, just a total mess. I took a shower but I may have been cleaner but not doing so. The ceiling was coming apart, the walls were ugly, there was nothing good about this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Sandusky, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. As you can see from change in name and brand of hotel, this property is under new management and has undergone a massive renovation and transformation. I would urge you to check us out and see all of the wonderful updates we've made since your last visit. We know you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I ran up to Sandusky for quick get away to go to cedar point ... I already knew there are not many classy hotels to stay at in hillbilly Sandusky to choose from so my options were very limited. I just wanted to find somewhere close to cedar point just so we could pretty much pass out. So I chose the bates motel. Cough cough I mean the best budget. Omg wow what a mess this place is. We arrived to the hotel at 5 and the hotel still wasn't ready lol! How can't a room not be ready by 5. So we went to cedar point and I told the person at the desk i would be back around midnight.. When I returned around midnight to pick up my keys to the room they lady working the desk said my room had been rented. I said impossible I already paid for it. After about 5 mins going back and forth the lady she gave me keys to the shack they call rooms. The light would not even work in the room. There was another light in the corner that was barley working. Used that. The room stunk like a old ashtray or dumpster or combo of both... The beds were disgusting they smelled like the mattresses and sheets were marinated in urine and were the most uncomfortable beds ever. Our pillows were covered in long dark hairs We were so disgusted we slept in our clothes. The tv was a very nice touch. It looked like it was from 1970 and didn't even work. The only highlight of this roach motel was watching druggies shoot up and smoke pot around the pool. Avoid this disaster sleep in your car or just drive back home. GROSS!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Sandusky, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for taking time to rate and review your recent stay at this property. Although the property is most assuredly geared and marketed toward the more budget-conscience consumer, there is no reason to expect anything less than clean, comfortable, safe accommodations. Your input gives us the opportunity to go back to our staff and train and re-train where necessary. Although not the glowing review we'd like to see, thank you for your input. Comments such as yours help us to focus our attention on what is most important to our guests.
Plainfield,Il
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I brought a group of 41 people to Cedar Point from Illinois on a charter bus. Because of the distance I was responsible to put the driver in a hotel. Mistake I made was choosing this hotel. I wasn't expecting it to be a 5 class hotel, but at least be clean.
It was obvious that this room wasnt properly cleaned. The comforter smelled really bad. I suggest spending a few extra dollars and stay at a nicer hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I'm very sorry that we weren't able to meet your expectations. Although this is a property that is definitely geared and marketed toward the more budget-conscience consumer, there's no reason to expect anything less than clean,comfortable, and safe lodging accommodations. Your comments will help us provide real-world examples with our staff of how we can improve our services and products. So, int hat vein, thank you very much for your input and for helping us to know where to focus our attention!
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was a nightmare hotel. The final price was $20 higher than was advertised online. Money was stolen out of wallet in the room, nothing was done all because the front desk said it was our responsibility to not have anything of value in our locked room. The housekeeper only made one of the beds because she said it was cluttered. Although she moved the stuff off one bed to the other. Manager said that it was not their responsibility for our items left in the room. She became agitated because I was angry. We had to file a police report, but being from out of town it was pointless. Manager stated there was no refund or discount going to be given. I asked was it due to me being angry and yelling, she smiled and snickered that there was nothing she would do. Not could do, but would do. Dont ever stay at this hotel. We were treated poorly and it was a nightmare. I paid 198.96 for 2 rooms that were half cleaned, cleaned out of my money, and the most unsympathetic and unresponsive staff I have ever seen.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else, or sleep in your car.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Sandusky, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
I am truly sorry that you encountered the problems you discussed in your review. While it is true that guests should NEVER leave valuables in a hotel room (at this property or ANY other), the fact that you had to endure rudeness is NEVER appropriate.

It is always our policy, anytime something is missing or stolen, to file a police report. Many times, this is the only way that a guest might find some relief from their insurance company. Because we have no way of knowing where that lost/stolen money is, there's no way that we can offer a refund of any kind. We have had lots of guests in the past (as all hotels do) claim that something was missing only to find out later that they found the missing money, item, object, etc. Refunding money each and every time something like this happens would be financially irresponsible on our part.

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and we wish you the best in your future travels!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

First when we open the door room it wasn't what showed in the web-site,smell musty,spiders, webs and other insects. I asked the old ladies in front desk of a iron and it had so me type of liquid inside, i assume it was water, when i used that water that turn into vapor stain my black shirt with stains like "Bleach" i was like "WHAT"???.Ok next day i went to the park, when i came back i look thru my stuff some of my belonging all of a sudden disappeared. I speak with the lady in front desk and she said that their cleaning ladies where honest and bla,bla that she will help me in the morning. IN THE MORNING, i went back to the front desk and i asked this lady what happen with my missing stuff and she was rude, disrespecting, she was nervous (when she couldn't answer my questions) and i said i want my money back she said she was going to call the police because she felt threatened, and i was like YES!!! CALL THE POLICE!!!! so the Police came we "talked" he gave me an "advice" for future references and a # to called buy i never got my money back or my pants. And yes there's "SHADY" staff walking around the premises, if you are going to stay don't leave any of your belongings behind,bring everything with you!

Room Tip: I wanted a non-smoking room and mine smells like musty smoke...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience at our hotel. I apologize if anyone was rude--that should NEVER happen. It is true--no matter where you're staying--that it's best if you do not leave valueables in your hotel room. This goes for a budget property like this to someplace like a five-star hotel in Manhattan.

Anytime a guest lets us know of something that's missing from a room, it is our policy to report that missing property to the police. Many times, homeowners insurance policies cover missing goods such as this so long as a police report is filed. It, however, is NOT our policy to refund money for someone who stays simply because we have no idea where that "lost" item might be.

Again, I'm truly sorry that you had to endure these inconveniences during your stay with us and wish you much luck in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Absolute worst place we have ever stayed, only place I could find a room at on the holiday weekend and had to pay a high price for too, we should have just slept in the car, DHEC should shut this place down! The musty mildew smell as soon as you walk in the door will knock you down! I can handle old and outdated but just plain filthy and nasty? No! No excuse for any place to be this bad!!!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Sandusky, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. This is a seasonal property that is definitely geared toward the more budget-conscience consumer; however, that doesn't meant that you should expect anything less that clean, comfortable, safe accommodations. We will use your comments to help our staff to improve their attention to detail. Thank you for your input!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm actually staying in this hotel as I write this. I understand I'm paying less to stay here but when I showed up with my reservation on my phone I was told the price was wrong and I couldn't have it for that price and I could go find somewhere else to stay. I found that crazy that you would turn a customer away when the parking lot was empty! After I argued my point I was given the room at the price I was told over the phone. We go to the room and there is grime on the wall of the shower. Luckily we are going to soak city tomorrow so maybe I can shower my kids there. There is some kind of yellow substance on the walls in the room. The pool is beyond discussing! The water is yellow and there is a ton of dirt and leaves on the bottom. We thought about changing hotels but since the charge already went on our card and we are on a budget we can't afford to switch.

• Stayed July 2013
I'm sorry for the issues that you encountered during your stay with us. While I'm happy to hear that the price that you were originally quoted was honored, I'm disappointed that you had to argue for that to occur. That should NEVER happen and we will use your comments to help provide an illustration of how to do better in the future.

While this hotel is definitely geared toward the more budget-friendly consumer, that doesn't mean that anyone should expect anything less that clean, comfortable, safe accommodations. We hope that you'll treat the issues that you experienced as isolated and that you'll choose to try us out again in the future!

Been to Magnuson Hotel Sandusky? Share your experiences!