“MOLD- TEL” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Hotel Sandusky

Save Saved
You added Magnuson Hotel Sandusky to your Saves list
Magnuson Hotel Sandusky
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5918 Milan Rd, Sandusky, OH 44870 (Formerly Best Budget Inn Sandusky)   |
Ranked #31 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
Chicago, Illinois
“MOLD- TEL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

If you like mold and a spider infestation then this is the place for you. We arrived 8/11/2012 Saturday afternoon around 3pm and the rooms stunk of mold/mildew and this was AFTER rooms had been serviced. There was a gaping hole in the ceiling above the bath tub. The carpets were dirty, smelly, and heavily soiled (need pulling up). The TV's are out of date and don't bump them or reception will be lost!! I followed the cable cord behind the TV and discovered a loose connection from the back of the TV as well as a loose connection from the wall jack (dangling). The kids had the next door room and brought their video games for no reason as the TV's are so old the jack does'nt have a video game port. There was mold on our walls behid our bed traveling all the way up to the ceiling. There were spiders (big ones) and webs on each of our front doors as we got back at night from Cedar Point. I looked up and discovered that the spiders were playing hide and seek living in the rafters underneath the platform walkway. We noticed room service hadn't changed our sheets but dumped our garbage and gave us towels. The lady at the front desk said it's their policy to change sheets ONLY if we were to stay 3 or more nights. REALLY??? I then asked for a refund but she said it was too late and that should've been done before 11am. We slept in our clothes and kept the light on to check for bugs. People, the sign for this place should be an indication of what to expect as my son pointed out,"Dad look at their sign". Their sign to welcome visitors from the road is missing their name and not lit up like the other hotels. Swim in their pool at your own risk. Also, no life guard on duty. Also they don't have irons in the rooms or ironing boards. We asked for iron and they had one to share with the entire hotel. REALLY??? You indeed get what you pay for here. Not to mention we all got sick/cough. This place needs tearing down and start over. AWFUL!!! AWFUL!!! AWFUL!!!

Room Tip: Don't go to Best Budget Inn 5918 MIlan Rd. When booking hotel(s) check the star quality and READ...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Sandusky, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel property. Although, as you mention, this is a seasonal, buget-consience property--and the rates reflect that, there's no reason for anything less than clean, comfortable surroundings. We will continue to work with our maintenance and housekeeping staff to ensure that the items you brought to our attention are rectified. Thank you for sharing and helping us to continue to improve the quality of our product and services!

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Snover
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We arrived late in the evening after spending the day at Cedar Point. When we walked into the room, it was filthy. The carpet had not been vacuumed, and the bathroom was dirty. When we called down to the desk they offered us a refund if we wanted to leave ( yeah really want to go looking for a different hotel at 11 on a Friday night in June) or we could look at a couple of other rooms. We found one that was passable. The next morning I approached the Manager about taking some off our bill, she was very rude and refunded us a whopping $15. Ran out of towels. Not a good experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Sandusky, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experiences at our hotel. Although we fell short of the mark in your particular situation, I'm glad that you were able to find a room that met your standards. I'm also glad that our manager recognized your inconvenience and offered to reduce your rate. The comments that you have offered will give us an opportunity to review our processes and standards with our housekeeping department and rectify situations like you spoke of. Thanks for helping us to make continuous quality improvements and we hope to welcome you back on a future visit to our area.
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Room smelled musty but after leaving the door open and a spray of Lysol the room smelled better, room was descent size,double beds enough room for 2 adults and 3 teens, i brang a twin size air mattress for the youngest fit perfect with a little rearranging of a table and two chairs,television was out dated but served it's purpose to watch the weather for the next day, the toilet didn't flush to well, there wasn't enough toilet paper,the housekeeper didn't even clean our room or leave any fresh towels or toiletries, and there was no wifi in the hotel but other then that is was ok for last minute reservations.

• Stayed May 2012
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Sandusky, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to relate your experiences during your recent stay at our hotel. Comments like yours help us to work on continuous improvement and they provide us with material from which we can better train our staff. We hope you'll decide to stay with us again on your next visit to Sandusky!
Punks from Detroit
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I have never in my life written a bad review for a hotel. I will start this one off by saying that it was a roof over our heads and served that purpose. That is about all I can say. We got a room with 3 beds as we had 5 people in our party. The room was spacious, but the beds were rock hard. Now, I like a firm mattress but this was like sleeping on plywood. The wallpaper was peeling off in the corners of the rooms and the carpet was sticky. Eww. The pool, which we were informed was closed for the season, was still full of water; green water, but water none the less. I thought when you closed a pool that you took the water out of the pool. I could see it as a huge hazard for families with young children. We were on the top floor and when we stepped out the stairway door to smoke we were surprised to see that the door was not locked, nor would it lock. Anyone could have walked up the staircase and entered the building at any time. Security issue for sure! The ice machine (which the lady at the counter was not sure of it's location) did not have an ice scoop and the floor was covered in water. Both of the women that we encountered at the registration desk were "unique" to say the least. One tried to get us to cancel our reservation and go somewhere else (and honestly, I was not complaining nor being difficult in any way... I just asked her if there was a less congested way to get to Cedar Point) the other one told us all about her trip to some motorcycle mecca. We left that interaction thinking "What prompted that conversation" as we did not initiate it, nor had we even mentioned motorcycles - we had asked for an additional pillow, which they only had 1 of. If you are looking for cheap sleeps after Cedar Point, this place may do the trick for you, but I don't think we will be back. There are a ton of hotel properties around Cedar Point - look on.

Room Tip: They do have rooms with 3 beds. A seperate bedroom with a queen bed and a door, and the main room wi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Hotel Sandusky, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel property. As you can imagine, managing a seasonal, budget-conscience property like the Best Budget Inn is sometimes more challenging than managing a brand-new property with a full-slate of amenities. That said, however, we're very committed to providing a safe, clean environment for all of our guests, complete with a staff who is attentive to customer needs. As the property re-opens for the 2012 summer season, we have taken steps to put in place new management and tend to items that may have possibly been overlooked in the past. We hope you'll give us another chance to prove that a budget-friendly hotel can also be one that is clean, neat, and functional.
West Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Our first night was a tough one. Mold on the walls. Mildewy smell. There was a hole in the bathroom ceiling, dripping water from the leaking toilet on the second floor, onto your backside when sitting on the toilet.

The staff switched us to a much nicer room the next morning.

That first room needs some serious repairs done!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. We regret that the room you were first placed in didn't meet your expectations (and from you relate, it wouldn't meet mine either). I am glad to hear that our staff was attentive to your needs and made the proper and necessary chances. We hope to welcome you back for your next stay in our area!
Bloomingdale Oh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We arrived 7 women they gave us room 120 in the old part of inn we walked into the room and it was a room from hell. The floors were filthy and so off level you would have rolled out of your bed. My mom went into the bathroom and their were mouse dirt in the drawers. In the one night stand their was a condom. It was the most disgusting room I have ever seen. If you ever stay here ask for rooms in the main inn. We went to the front desk and told them we were not staying there that the room was disgusting. The very nice woman at the front desk was very embarassed they showed us a suite with three beds that was very nice and clean. 'She said that the first room should have never been booked. So never stay at a hotel with Budget in its name unless you check the room first.

Room Tip: ask for rooms in the main part of the inn much cleaner.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
I am glad to hear that you were moved to a room that met your needs and that the issue with the first room was resolved. As evidenced by our staffs' quick remedy to the problem, we're fully committed to good customer service while staying true to our budget-conscience mission. We hope to welcome you back on your next stay to our area!
Clarksburg, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here last night and it was one of the worst places I have ever stayed. We picked a less expensive Place because we were only going there to sleep after spending the day at Cedar Point. But it wasn't worth the money we saved because I was so grossed out I could not sleep. The pull out sofa was horrid. The bathtub was very dingy and we desperately needed showers. I went to pull a folded towel off the towel rack and in the middle of it was a nasty wet washcloth! I almost lost my dinner. Thank God I had my own pillow and blanket or I would have left. I still had the heebie jeebies lying on the bed. The curtains were disgusting. I was so grossed out that I could not brush my teeth the next morning. My daughter and I wlked next door to a much nicer hotel and brushed our teeth in their lobby. I will never skimp on a hotel again!!

• Stayed July 2011
I am sorry that the experience you described during your stay didn't meet your expectations. We are very committed to quality customer service while maintaining our mission of being a budget-friendly hotel. We have put a number of changes into place for the 2012 season that are aimed to improve our guest satisfaction. Thank you for bringing your issues to our attention and know that we've heard you and are acting to prevent such things in the future!

Been to Magnuson Hotel Sandusky? Share your experiences!