“Dated, but very clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Defiance, OH
“Dated, but very clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our room was completely comfortable. The furniture is outdated, however its not busted up and is clean and in good condition. The pool is clean as well as the hot tub and the location is great to visit cedar point and other attractions. It is loud, you will hear suit cases rolling and doors opening and closing at all hours, so if you are a light sleeper this might not be the place for you. I do not mind because I get enough peace and quiet at home, we generally go on vacation for noise and excitement :) Shout out to Donna (I think that was her name) for being so kind to my husband. We will definitely stay at South Shore Inn again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
marilyn1714, revenue manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing the South Shore Inn when vacationing in Sandusky and visiting Cedar Point. We appreciate your kind comments, our guest feedback is very important to us.
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Olathe, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I originally booked a different hotel and changed at the last minute to this one, and I'm so glad I did. We came here for 3 days to go to Cedar Point.

Check-in: Was an absolute breeze! We arrived a little after 4 pm and we had no wait and had our room key in hand in about 5 minutes.

Room: We had two room suite with refrigerator and microwave. It was a bit smaller than I had envisioned, however we made it work and didn't spend too much time in our room anyway. The room was nice and clean. The bed were a little hard for my liking but it didn't interrupt my sleep. The blankets left a lot to be desired. The bathroom was clean and spacious with a huge tub. The refrigerator was very nice and actually larger than I thought it would be.

Pool: This was the best part! The kids absolutely loved it and so did my husband and I. We ended up not going to Cedar Point one day just so we could spend the who day at the pool. It was never crowded and this kids loved the slides. We just had such a good time.

Overall, we had a great stay and we would stay here again if we are every up that way again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
marilyn1714, revenue manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments after your family trip to Cedar Point. We appreciate our guest feedback and were pleased to read how much you enjoyed the accommodations, the location, and the pool area.
We look forward to seeing you the next time you plan to spend a day at the park.

fenton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is very clean. The room we stayed in 112 was very clean. The tv's were new flat screens. Kellan at the front desk was very hospitable. You cannot beat the proximity to cedar point. The pool and hot tub were clean.

However I have it a 1 for overall because I brought home bed bugs which were confirmed as such by an exterminator. I called the hotel to let them know and after they performed a quick inspection said did not find anything. They then said that since the room was occupied they would have to check again after they left. I wish they would have said we will thoroughly check now as soon as we move the current occupants to a new room. I would like to add that I did not ask for a refund or any discount on future stays. I was courteous and not at all upset at the person on the phone. However after I talked to them after their inspection the general manager was not quite so friendly. I stated that I understood that even clean hotels can get bed bugs but that I wanted to alert them so they could fix the problem right away. The GM was adament that they did not find evidence of bed bugs. I can't home with. 9 bites after staying just 1 night. I'll let toy be the judge.

This was my first time ever getting bed bugs from a hotel.

I have the value 1 because after staying at the hotel I had to pay an additional $270 to get the bugs confirmed and removed. I should have just stayed at great wolf lodge.

• Stayed July 2013
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I we're searching for a decent place to stay for a couple days. We were glad we stayed here. It was what we were looking for. Requirements were: not too expensive, close to Cedar Point, safe area, and above all clean. The decor is a bit dated but our room was fresh, roomy and more importantly clean. A great location if you're in town to visit Cedar Point. It is just a short drive. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
marilyn1714, revenue manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for choosing our hotel when in Sandusky to go to Cedar Point. We were very pleased to see that our location perfectly suited your needs, and that you enjoyed the accommodations and the service that you received.

We hope to see you again the next time you plan a get-a-way to Cedar Point.

Medina, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

You can tell how old this hotel is. Nothing fancy about it. We received a good rate and the quality of the room is merely adequate. The room was clean and the beds are decent. It is fine for a 1 night stay if you are just using the room to sleep in. The out door pool and hot tub are about the only perks. It could be better if management worked on it.

Room Tip: Parking lot is very narrow. Watch where you park your car.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
marilyn1714, revenue manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post your comments after your recent stay with us, our guest feedback is very important to us.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

My kids and I stayed here one night before going on to another hotel. Thank God it was only one night. Where should I start...TV was fuzzy, AC unit made a terrible noise and I had to shut it off, toilet would run on and off all night long, there was a leak in the ceiling and it rained most of the night so water was coming in the room all night. I'm a fairly light sleeper and hardly slept due to the water leak (the constant sounds of the drips hitting the floor was like chinese water torture) and the toilet and the ac unit. I told the person at the front desk in the morning and their concerns were practically non existent. I wasn't offered anything for my horrible night sleep in their hotel. The only cool thing was the pool and that has wasps all around it. Perhaps they should spray? I would not recommend this hotel nor will I ever be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013
marilyn1714, revenue manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post your comments, as our guest feedback is very important to us. Please accept my apologies for the experience you had at our hotel, as you certainly did not have the hospitality experience we strive to provide to all our guests. Please know that the entire staff has seen your comments and we are working hard to ensure the issues are not repeated.

North East, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Great place to stay if you plan to visit Cedar Point. It's very close to the park, but still reasonably priced. The restaurant is nice Dinner but we did not care for the breakfast buffet. You're better off at the McDonald's on the way to the park. The pool and spa are nice places to rest after a long day riding roller coasters.

Most of all we appreciated the staff, they were all friendly and helpful throughout our entire visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel when in Sandusky to enjoy a day at Cedar Point. We were pleased to read that you found our location to be perfect, and that you enjoyed the accommodations.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Revenue Manager

Been to South Shore Inn? Share your experiences!