“decent price, can be loud though” 3 of 5 stars

South Shore Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2047 Cleveland Rd., Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Cincinnati, Ohio
“decent price, can be loud though”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place was... OK.

Yes the price is cheap for comparable hotels in the area. It's a bit off the strip, and a little bit from Cedar Point, but still a quick easy drive. The thing is though... is yes it's a motel, with outside doors... but the sound proofing is next to non existent!

Unfortunately it seemed that we came on the same evening as a prom or some other teenage party night, as one side of the place was full of rowdy kids (and I'm not some crotchety old person I'm 28 so that's saying something) They were playing music from their cars and being overall loud and annoying. We even had the room on the far side tucked in a corner, and it was still unbearably loud. We did call the front desk who must have told them to turn it down as they did... a tiny bit....

The rooms were standard, had a mini fridge, and the beds comfortable. Just the sound throughout the night was a bit much even for the cheap price. Again it is a great price in the area and a decent location, just ask for a room on the outside and you might be better off where you're away from the parking lot/courtyard noise.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the middle courtyard area
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I tried out the hot tub and I noticed his face had white
marks all over it. Some sort of paint was coming off on our hands and he had
rubbed his face and so the white face. Hot tub could have been hotter and I
didn't see any on or off switch controls.
We got the suite and didn't realize that the fold out bed was on the wall not the couch so
you might want to be aware of that. The refrigerator that came with the rroom wasn't very
cold. We booked this room because my son was racing in a half marathon at Cedar Point, wish the hotel would have had a sign welcoming all the athletes.
Desk clerks were friendly and patient!

Room Tip: ask if there are any wedding parties at the hotel and request a room away from partiers.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Port Dover
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The room was clean and no bugs..... everything was there.. I would recommend getting a ground floor room.... bit of a pain on the second floor. Hotel staff were very helpful and continental breakfast was good.
The pool and hot tub are outside, so make sure the temp is good when you go. It was clean and functioning well. The hotel itself, rooms etc.. are a bit tired..... its an older hotel but clean and everything worked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor at the rear.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

If you look at the HoJo N Park Entrance you will see what brought me to this hotel. The biggest difference between the two is the South Shore Inn's owner cares about their property and the other does not. The room was clean, the grounds were maintained. The breakfast was good, a little short only a couple of hours for the whole hotel to eat but it is achievable. Thomas helped me with the room when I left the other hotel. I had no problems with the door. The pool has a slide for the kids and they also had a hot tub for the parents, great after a day of roller coasters.

Room Tip: We stayed in the ones that were more like a motel or inn, they also have some indoors like a hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Where to start...well when we got to the room we found the door didn't shut unless I threw myself into it, but I overlooked that because we would only be there for the night. I walked into the bathroom and someone had defecated in the toilet and left it there. When I tried to flush the toilet it clogged. I picked up the phone to call the front desk, but the phone didn't work. I called from my cell phone and requested someone come by and plunge the toilet. A young man in his late teens or early twenties stopped by and when my girlfriend opened the door he handed her a plunger. When he handed her the plunger she asked if we had to do it ourselves and he said, "we don't plunge toilets." After he walked away she told me that had happened and I called the front desk and asked for a manager to come to the room. The same young man came to the door and told me that he would not plunge my toilet and it was their policy not to fix the toilet if it broke. After a brief discussion with the young man I told my girlfriend that we would be leaving. I called the front desk to tell them we would be checking out, the gentleman at the front desk asked why we were checking out already and I told him the situation. He told me that to be credited for the room the manager would have to come by and inspect the room. The same young man from previously came by and asked me, "what my problem was", I asked him to come in and inspect the room so we could check out. He refused to come in to inspect the room. After that we just got in the car and left. We ended up staying at a Comfort Inn less than 5 miles away and it ended up being cheaper. This was by far the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel in my life. Please, do yourself a favor, do not stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room came with feces already in the toilet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

After checking into a deplorable room at Hotel Breakers at Cedar point resort we check out the following day. Checked in at this hotel and the service was great. The room are clean and the prices are fantastic.

• Stayed July 2012
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My companion and I spent a lot of time researching hotels for a Cedar Point weekend, we finally settled on this hotel based on price and proximity to the park. Admittedly, we were a bit skeptical after reading the reviews but when we arrived we were allowed to check in at 9am and were greeted by a insanely friendly clerk! I was expecting a less than stellar room but I couldnt have been more pleasantly surprised; the room was spacious, clean, and appeared to have been recently renovated. The staff was always friendly, offering us directions to restaurants and the shopping mall. If you are expecting 4 Stars, dont stay here- if you are expecting a clean room and a friendly staff, this place works. This hotel is literally down the street from the main road to Cedar Point and was very affordable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to South Shore Inn? Share your experiences!