“It was OK.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Port Dover
“It was OK.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The room was clean and no bugs..... everything was there.. I would recommend getting a ground floor room.... bit of a pain on the second floor. Hotel staff were very helpful and continental breakfast was good.
The pool and hot tub are outside, so make sure the temp is good when you go. It was clean and functioning well. The hotel itself, rooms etc.. are a bit tired..... its an older hotel but clean and everything worked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor at the rear.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

If you look at the HoJo N Park Entrance you will see what brought me to this hotel. The biggest difference between the two is the South Shore Inn's owner cares about their property and the other does not. The room was clean, the grounds were maintained. The breakfast was good, a little short only a couple of hours for the whole hotel to eat but it is achievable. Thomas helped me with the room when I left the other hotel. I had no problems with the door. The pool has a slide for the kids and they also had a hot tub for the parents, great after a day of roller coasters.

Room Tip: We stayed in the ones that were more like a motel or inn, they also have some indoors like a hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Where to start...well when we got to the room we found the door didn't shut unless I threw myself into it, but I overlooked that because we would only be there for the night. I walked into the bathroom and someone had defecated in the toilet and left it there. When I tried to flush the toilet it clogged. I picked up the phone to call the front desk, but the phone didn't work. I called from my cell phone and requested someone come by and plunge the toilet. A young man in his late teens or early twenties stopped by and when my girlfriend opened the door he handed her a plunger. When he handed her the plunger she asked if we had to do it ourselves and he said, "we don't plunge toilets." After he walked away she told me that had happened and I called the front desk and asked for a manager to come to the room. The same young man came to the door and told me that he would not plunge my toilet and it was their policy not to fix the toilet if it broke. After a brief discussion with the young man I told my girlfriend that we would be leaving. I called the front desk to tell them we would be checking out, the gentleman at the front desk asked why we were checking out already and I told him the situation. He told me that to be credited for the room the manager would have to come by and inspect the room. The same young man from previously came by and asked me, "what my problem was", I asked him to come in and inspect the room so we could check out. He refused to come in to inspect the room. After that we just got in the car and left. We ended up staying at a Comfort Inn less than 5 miles away and it ended up being cheaper. This was by far the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel in my life. Please, do yourself a favor, do not stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room came with feces already in the toilet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

After checking into a deplorable room at Hotel Breakers at Cedar point resort we check out the following day. Checked in at this hotel and the service was great. The room are clean and the prices are fantastic.

• Stayed July 2012
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My companion and I spent a lot of time researching hotels for a Cedar Point weekend, we finally settled on this hotel based on price and proximity to the park. Admittedly, we were a bit skeptical after reading the reviews but when we arrived we were allowed to check in at 9am and were greeted by a insanely friendly clerk! I was expecting a less than stellar room but I couldnt have been more pleasantly surprised; the room was spacious, clean, and appeared to have been recently renovated. The staff was always friendly, offering us directions to restaurants and the shopping mall. If you are expecting 4 Stars, dont stay here- if you are expecting a clean room and a friendly staff, this place works. This hotel is literally down the street from the main road to Cedar Point and was very affordable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New Castle, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

After a couple of hours of searching for a hotel to stay at for two nights as a group of friends planned a road trip up to Cedar Point, we stumbled across this place. A few of us were still rooting for Castaway Bay...but that didn't happen. Some reviews scared me (I'm a skeptic by nature), but our guy friends talked us into it. They booked through Expedia. Thankfully, we didn't have any problems when it came time to check in. Well...except that the guy at the desk was a little rude. He didn't seem impressed that a bunch of teenagers were checking into a room.
Five of us stayed in a two-room suite with two doubles and a murphy bed. It was supposedly fairly recently renovated, but that seems debatable. There were places in the walls near the ceiling that looked weathered and wrinkly, but nothing was leaking or smelled absolutely awful. There was enough room for us, the bathroom was spacious, with doors from both rooms. The air worked just fine and the TV was just fine.
The game room was right next to our suite, but when the guys went to check it out, we learned that there were no games there at all. We didn't really care, but it's kinda false advertising.
I believe there was a continental breakfast up for grabs, but we didn't ever get over to try it. We didn't go over to the pool either, but from what we saw, it looked okay.
It's certainly not the nicest hotel in the area, but it's not bad and it's affordable. Give it some thought before you dismiss it entirely.

Room Tip: The names of the rooms on the south shore website and on expedia are different, so do your research...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Up North, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I was hesitant about staying here due to some of the reviews, however, we did last weekend when we visited Cedar Point. We were in a newly remodeled, spotless, and very nice two-bedroom suite. The front office staff was very friendly/helpful, the room affordable and it is located minutes from Cedar Point. The continental breakfast left a little to be desired, but I will definately stay here the next time we visit Cedar Point.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to South Shore Inn? Share your experiences!