“Love the Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Chicago
“Love the Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

My friends and I stayed at this hotel when we took our road trip to go to Cedar Point. I would say that this hotel was pretty good considering what we paid for it. They provide you with a microwave and refrigerator so you don't have to request for it. The fridge was medium sized and fit a lot of the food that we bought. There was free breakfast which was served at their gazebo. There was always an attendant present to restock the food. The breakfast was good too (muffins, fruits, cereals, waffles, bagels, yogurt etc... just no meat or eggs {that would be pushing it}) Everything was fresh, there were multiple toasters, and juices and hot beverages to pick from. The workers were pretty friendly and we didn't have much of a problem with them.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

Based on relatively positive reviews, the reasonable cost (average $100/night) and the proximity to Cedar Point, we decided to try out Knight's Inn for the first time.

We wished we hadn't.

My wife and I ordered a King room for our stay. The room did indeed have a king bed with a jacuzzi. However, the room was immediately over the pool and there was very little noise reduction, meaning that even at the other end of room from the door, we could hear the activity. Not only that but the room had the most bizarre configuration - the jacuzzi was separated from the bedroom by a shower curtain...and the jacuzzi was not separated from the commode at all. Therefore, the entire bathroom was separated from the sleeping area by just a shower curtain!

Because of the extremely unusual/unfeasible layout and the noise, we asked to be moved. However, we were told that there was just one room left - a double room. This was on the far side of the hotel complex and at least it was a distance from the pool.

However, again, there was no noise reduction from the walls, so we could hear a lot from the outside. Our room was directly across from a courtyard where a group were having some sort of party in the evening. My wife and I try not to cause problems and understand that people are out to have fun. So we didn't complain despite the noise lasting until around midnight.

Once the party stopped however, one person with a large pick-up truck directly outside our room started to idle his truck and occasionally drive around the parking lot for around an hour.

Not only that, but the advertised internet connection was so slow that it was not usable (presumably because we were at the extremity of the complex). On BOTH my laptops, I was able to connect to the service but it was so slow that nothing worked. I inquired at the front desk and was told that they were not having any problems and that the connection bandwidth was probably being used by other guests. This is fine but there should be sufficient bandwidth for ALL users at the hotel to use if it is an advertised service.

Obviously, we woke up in the morning tired and not feeling refreshed at all. We didn't bother to try the breakfast as we were really fed up at the quality of the hotel and didn't think the breakfast would have been worth it. Perhaps it was, we'll never know. We spent the day at Cedar Point and came back at around 10pm - to hear the same part happening outside in the courtyard. We asked the manager what could be done about this and, to be fair, we did notice that the noise reduced about a short while and we are appreciative of that. Of course, the person in the pick-up truck started his laps around the parking lot but, again, this didn't last as long as the first night.

We don't blame the manager for the behavior of the clientele - we believe that, whilst everyone should be able to have their fun whilst they're out, they should be noticeably more considerate than they were. However, we were unhappy at the quite ludicrous layout of our original room, the almost complete lack of noise reduction and the near non-existent internet connection. We were, frankly, disappointed at the quality of the room and as this is our first time staying in a Knight's Inn, we felt that we had to express our opinion. My wife and I travel a lot and, unfortunately, based on this experience, we will not consider Knight's Inn favorably when next booking our hotel room.

Avoid this hotel.

• Liked — Proximity to Cedar Point
  • Disliked — The other guests, the lack of noise reduction, the poor quality of the accomodation, the lack of working internet access, the architect
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

My boyfriend and I decided to stay here during our trip to Cedar Point since it had good reviews. I must not of been staying at the same hotel, because I didn't enjoy my stay at all. The beds were uncomfortable and my pillow had a black hair on it. When I was getting ready to get into bed I always check the pillows and sheets and when I turned one of my pillows over there was a long black hair on the pillow (I have blonde hair) YUCK!!!!!Whenever someone would turn on water the pipes in our room would make clanging noises and if anyone walked on the balcony by your door it was really loud. I didn't get much sleep here. I was very disappinted because the reviews were so good.

• Liked — a mile from cedar point
  • Disliked — the noisy pipes
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Portage
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

Booked this hotel because it had such nice reviews and I'm glad I did. At first glance the hotel doesn't exactly look like much; especially when driving past castaway bay. But if you are on a budget this hotel is the best. We went on tuesday - friday and our room rate was between $79-$89 per day. The front desk area was a bit musty and when we went to the room it was a little musty as well, but when we turned on the AC all was well. The room was very clean and hospitable. The pool is heated and the hot tub is very nice; both were cleaned daily. The continental breakfast was stupendous. It is held in a screened in building outside and has a very nice selection of breakfast food that is replenished quickly.
Negatives ~ The hotel is located near train tracks, but the trains never blasted their horns at night which was great cause I am a very light sleeper. The musty smell at first in the room and the pool closing at 9:30 p.m. are it.
Positives ~ very close to cedar point, clean rooms, clean pool & hot tub, great continental breakfast and helpful staff & very inexpensive.

• Liked — Very close and affordable
  • Disliked — Smell of front desk & room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

A group of us rented 2 rooms by contacting the hotel directly. We were pleased when we arrived and saw the rooms. We did, however, have one complaint - when we opened the curtains, we found underwear from the previous guests. We contacted the front office and they did take care of it after about 15-20 minutes.
Other than that, our stay was nice. The problem occurred when we received a printed copy of the bill and noticed that they charged us $4+ for each room for telephone access and $2+ for the safe warranty(?) When I went to the desk and informed them that we didn't feel we should have to pay a fee for either items, since we weren't using them (other than to call the front desk to inform them of the dirty underwear), the manager on duty was very nice and made an adjustment to our account. When we went to check out though, the other manager on duty was quite rude and appeared to be upset that we got a credit for the $12+ in extra charges. I will not let this incident keep me from staying at the hotel again - as long as they confirm prior to my arrival that we will not be charged for things we are not using and they give me the full room charge up front.

• Liked — The set up of the hotel and the size of the rooms.
  • Disliked — The attitude of some staff.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

Everything was very clean, including the pool. It was better than we expected. The staff could have been a little more friendly.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

It was a good value. Much cheaper than staying at one of the resorts, but still just a short ride from Cedar Point. At one point during the day at Cedar Point, we needed a break and jumped back over to the hotel for a quick nap, and then back to Cedar Point for the rest of the evening. The room was nice, continental breakfast was very good, and the facility was clean and staff friendly. Be cautious about where they put you, because if you are on the far north side of the hotel, you are very close to the train tracks, which can be noisey. That would be my only complaint, we were close to the train. Would recommend, costs way less than staying at the other places.

• Liked — location, price
  • Disliked — train noise
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Knights Inn Sandusky? Share your experiences!