“Loved the Great Wolf” 5 of 5 stars

Indiana
“Loved the Great Wolf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

Stayed 5 days.

Excellent stay. Nice and clean. Good friendly staff. Clean lobby, clean rooms.

Indoor pools, very good. No problems with too much chlorine or smell. Have kids 2, 6, 8. Something for each of them. Older kids might find a bit boring after a few hours.

Outdoor pool, nice but not huge. But very nice. No real slides or water parks aspects to the outdoor pool, which was a bit surprising (all that stuff is part of the indoor pool), but still used and enjoyed the outdoor pool.

Ate at both restaurants. Lumber jacks has a great deal on breakfast with an all you can eat family style breakfast that was great, fast, reasonably priced, and we all loved.

Ate at Grill for dinner one night. Good, not great, but good.

Next time we go back to Sandusky and CP, I will stay at the Great Wolf without any hesitation.

Don't agree or understand with some of the negative posts in this forum, which I read before the trip. Like I said, only issue I could see is if kids were a bit older, the water park might get a bit boring for them after awhile.

• Liked — So many things to do, indoor pool, outdoor pool, arcade, activities in lobby, restaurants.
  • Disliked — A little pricey, but its vacation!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Foxboro, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

we split our vacation between two waterpark hotels in the area . we arrived at our room to find left over food on the dresser. the sheets on the bed had hair on them. the waterpark area had bandages all over that were never picked up day to day. the waterpark is for the 7 and under crowd similar to a large mcdonalds play space but with water. did not keep my 7 and 9 year old busy for long. the railing on the tube slides is corroding. dont let your small child touch as rust is present. have you had your tetnus shot yet? my husband calls the lazy river the lazy puddle. no bigger than half a ymca pool. i should have listened to the other reviewer who said the same thing. my kids saw the rock wall online and wanted to try only if you are willing to pay $5.95 per kid per attempt. we witnessed the lifeguards turning away a family with a child with special needs off the small slide and telling them she would have to use the larger slide by herself. i didnt think that was right as she was only using the small slide and needed her parents to hold her. the park should consider this population and provide something if they will not allow this population to use the facilities. the tubs are very slippery as my 7 year old found out and fell in the shower. room above us was very loud doing gym stunts til 11 pm one night and starting again at 3am the next. i realize there were competions that weekend but there has to be consideration for the other guests. the hotel did not seem to care even though when i called they could hear the loud banging. i feel the picture is deceptive it looks like it is on a scecluded road. not, it is on a main drag and looks out of place. there is a rock quarry across the street no one will tell you that til you get there. "keeps noise to allowable range" how about keeping the smell down. :( the smell can be overwhelming at times of rotten eggs. the lobby show is for 7 and under as well. we have never complained at a hotel before as we usually go with the flow but for the price you expect more. we never left the other hotel for 3 days as it was awsome:) but this hotel we couldnt wait to go on a day trip.:(

• Liked — tube slides
  • Disliked — dirty room and park
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2007

We stayed her in mid-June and had a great time. We traveled with a 2 and 4 year old and it was great for that age. Here are the notes:

Best Tip: book this hotel the last weekend of the "low" season, (june 8-11 this year), the rate is substantially lower and Cedar Point is open and weather could/should be good.

Recommendation: Great for families of all ages and numbers. Go during the low season especially when Cedar Point is open - this might save you about half price. Check the website first for web-only details and call to find out if there are additional discounts.

Location: Great location. About 10 mins to Cedar Point but it is right next to a mall, nearly in the parking lot of Meijer and Steak and Shake, and around many popular restaurants/shops. Excellent location, much better than right outside the park. And the hotel felt like it was more secluded even though it wasn't.

Staff: Staff were very accomodating and helpful. No waits for check-in, friendly and provided excellent service.

Rooms: Although this is not a new hotel, it was one of the only hotels I have stayed at where the rooms look new even when they weren't. I was hard pressed to find any dirt or wear in the room or bathroom. We had a fireplace and balcony room - room was huge and enough room for kids to play - the 2 TVs was helpful too!. Great movie/pay selection on the TVs as well (TV shows and movies). My only complaint, if there was to have one, is that the counter space in the bathroom is tiny, there really is no room for larger toiletry bags and there are no hooks to hook bags/towels to.

Amenities/Activities: This hotel has an awesome water park. Very clean, something for all levels and ages which is great and I never felt over crowded. The arcade was great - the redemption prizes were better than most hotels - however, some of the games were more than one token. Hotel does an awesome job of scheduling additional activities throughout the day such as crafts, etc. for the kids so that after getting wrinkled in the pool they can take a break and have some fun - many of which were at no cost. Our kids loved the animated show in the lobby and the characters.

Restaurants. Didn't eat at the bar/grill but that looked good. Ate at the family restaurant and while the all-u-can-eat option seemed appealing given the different tastes, the food was not very good for the price. Might be good for breakfast.

I highly recommend this hotel, this might be the best run/kept family hotel we have stayed at yet.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — nothing
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

We stayed at this GWL for five nights. My kids are 7 and 4 years old. They loved it. We stayed in the Mason, OH GWL back in January so we knew the kids would have a fun time. We requested a KidCabin w/ Balcony view. Room was to be ready at 4:00 p.m. but when we checked in at 2:30 it was ready. Check in/check out was easy and quick. Staff was professional....front desk, housekeeping, lifeguards, etc. everyone was friendly. Close to Cedar Point, restaurants and a grocery store. Yes, we could have stayed at a 'cheaper' hotel but after staying here I can't imagine staying anywhere else again. Especially good if it rains. We planned 2 days at Cedar Point w/ sightseeing and island hopping the other 3 days. I considered booking Hotel Breakers (comparable cost) but so glad I didn't. It was nice to be 'away' from the hustle and bustle of Cedar Point. If you get the chance visit the Marblehead lighthouse and Shoreline Park (near Sandusky Bay). We had fun just being near the water and sightseeing. We are planning a 2 night stay at the Mason GWL in December for my son's birthday. If we ever visit Sandusky again we will definately stay at GWL.

Stayed June 2007
Grand Rapids MIchigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

As a last minute change we decided to stay here rather than Castaway bay or the Best Western when you compare the value of each of the hotels.

The location to Cedar point was awesome. The kids had a ball and ended up looking like prunes. We could hardly get them out of the water.

The hotel does a wonderful job making sure that every one is safe. I did not feel that it was necessary to keep a constant eye on my kids. They were great both in the indoor pool and the outdoor pool.

The room was roomy and had a nice refrig and microwave.

The kids enjoyed the bunk beds.

Stay and have no worries

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Novi, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

I'm a big fan of seeking out online reviews before making purchases, so I ended up at this site looking for an opinion of the Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky. I am happy to report that we had an INCREDIBLE time and had hardly any of the problems or issues I had read about in previous reports. We highly recommend this property for a family getaway and are very glad we made the decision to check it out for ourselves!

ROOM: Yes, the room price for the room we chose (the Wolf Den Suite with the adorable "cave" for the children) was pricey at $219 for the Friday night and $269 for the Saturday night, plus all of the hotel taxes and such. However, the children LOVED the Wolf Den, and my husband and I enjoyed having our own "cuddle space" and not having
to share the TV with the kids. Honestly, if the children hadn't made
noise now and then, we wouldn't have known they were in the room, they were so entranced by their own private cave and their own TV. We
would absolutely stay in this room again! Next time, we'd plan farther ahead and seek out discounts I heard about through other guests via AAA membership and Kroger and the like. The in-room movies
were a decent value, and there was a huge selection. Better still, we
could watch a movie on our TV while the kids watched the Cartoon Network! The video game service (Nintendo 64) was a bit pricey at a shade over $7 for an hour; we did it anyway, but we believed $5 for an hour would have been more reasonable.

ROOM, BOTTOM LINE -- The room was fantastic and darn near worth the price we paid! The kids' beds were comfortable, our bed was certainly acceptable, the rooms were very clean, the TV had a lot of channels, the mini fridge was very handy... It was all good! Bring your Gameboy for video games, but don't hesitate to check out the great movie selection. Plan ahead and seek out discounts!

WATERPARK: The waterpark was a blast! The children had a wonderful time here as well. In spite of what I'd seen in other reviews, the prices at the snack bar inside the waterpark were more than reasonable! A hot dog and a generous basket of fries was $3.95 -- not too much more than your average Happy Meal. The drinks were expensive, sure, but you can always stash a couple of cans in a small cooler in your locker, rented for $3 for the day. (I don't think that was allowed, but I won't tell if you won't!) The gift shop
pricing was great, too. I bought a pair of women's Crocs in the gift shop for less than I'd paid at my local Hallmark store, and I got my son a Great Wolf t-shirt on sale for $10. The lifeguards were exceptional! They were always alert and kept children and adults alike behaving properly and safely. I was very impressed. They were all business, absolutely no goofing off like I've seen between lifeguards at other waterparks. There was plenty to do for the littlest guests (like our preschooler), an age that usually gets neglected at these kind of parks, and there was plenty of fun for our oldest child and Mom and Dad.

** NOTE **: One great thing is that the water was very clear and obviously very clean. They use plenty of chlorine for the sake of sanitation. One not so great thing... they use plenty of chlorine! Our daughter (age 4) and myself have quite sensitive skin. After the first long day in the waterpark, both of us had red, splotchy, itchy,
sore rashes. My husband and our son do not have sensitive skin, and they were unaffected. A good bath and application of lotion after swimming calmed the rash enough to go back the second day. The rash appeared again during the second day, then quickly faded after another shower. My recommendation for this? Don't let the kids go without a good cleansing with plenty of soap and some soothing lotion after your trips to the water. The water is clean, but its heck on the skin and hair. We came home with dry, splotchy skin. We'd certainly rather deal with that than dirty water, though!

WATERPARK, BOTTOM LINE -- Downright awesome! Clean, safe, and full of fun for all ages! Just be sure to give the kids a thorough bath/
shower with shampoo and conditioner and lotion on the skin afterwards
to avoid itchy skin and dry, fried-out hair.

FOOD: I have read negativity about the restaurants and room service being expensive. Oh my... I don't know if these reviewers were expecting McDonald's pricing at a resort (please...not gonna happen!), but we found the restaurant pricing to be excellent and the room service pricing to be amazing! The room service pricing is different from other resorts we've visited in that there was no difference between room service and restaurant pricing, they just add
an 18% service fee. Being that we regularly tip 20%, that would have been fine with us and more than reasonable for room delivery. However, we wanted to eat out of the room (so Mom wouldn't have to clean up after eating!), so we headed to the Gitchigoomie Grill.

The pricing at Gitchigoomie is no different than what you would see at Chili's or another casual dining restaurant. The service was friendly and the food was, again, about what you would expect from a Chili's. For some reason, though, the service was very slow and a bit forgetful, even though we were eating late (9 PM) and there was only 2-3 other tables in the dining room. Other than having to wait for drinks, appetizer, and entrees and having to remind the server about things like refills and that extra side of honey mustard... It was worth the price we paid, about $50 including 20% tip for 2 adult meals, 2 kid meals, and an appetizer. (The nachos are HUGE! Great appetizer!)

FOOD, BOTTOM LINE: The Gitchigoomie Grill is certainly a fine value and large portions of your basic casual dining fare. The service is with a lovely smile, but it could be faster, more attentive, and more
"on the ball". It's certainly what I would choose over eating fast food or having to make sandwiches in the room, but plan on being patient.

GREAT WOLF SANDUSKY, BOTTOM LINE: The staff was friendly, the resort was clean and a good value, the food was great, and waterpark was a ton of fun...We will be back this winter, staying in the Wolf Den Suite, when we've had all the sledding we can stand.

• Liked — Wolf Den Suite; Awesome water park
  • Disliked — Expensive nightly rate
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2007

Stayed on June1st. Just a TA tidbit, this is the slowest weekends of the year (the weekend after Memorial Day). I have to say, “this was one of the cleanest resorts I've ever stayed at”. The lifeguards really keep an eye on the pools at all times. Food prices were reasonable. Nice large room, yes the bathroom is a little small, but O.K. Great place to go with younger children (2-12 ideal). We also enjoyed to outside pool. Will be back soon.

Thanks
SB

• Liked — Cleanest
  • Disliked — The front desk staff during check-in could of been a little bit friendlier. She just sounded like a robot.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!