“Good for families” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Port Royal, Pennsylvania
“Good for families”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

This is definitely a place for families. I stayed here with some friends for Colossalcon in June and while we managed to make it worth our time (we utilized the hot tub and arcade) we just were not the target audience.
If you're looking for something more adult, definitely choose the Kalahari because the Great Wolf Lodge is more suitable for families with younger children.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

After a trip up to Niagara Falls with the family we decided to kick back and relax for 2 last days of vacation at Great Wolf in Sandusky. Perfect 10 for families with kids 10 and under. The hotel was nice and the facilities were clean. The staff was very willing to help answer any question. There was even a cheerleading convention in for the week and there was never any extra noise. The older kids had a great time on all the slides and pool areas. The younger kids never missed a opportunity to take in the various indoor slides and play areas. The Magic quest games are fun for everyone, but just consider the prices. Its about 30 bucks a kid to get his own game and wand, but it is a bunch of fun and a good energy burn (It does include 8 quests that provide lots of different games). The character presentation at 8:00 in front of the main clock tower was neat, but more for the younger kids. The food was good in the different venues, but we did venture out for breakfast on day two. Overall, a good place to let the kids roam in a controlled area and the adults can enjoy some down time or jump in the fun too.

It is also a great place to stay if you plan on going to Cedar Point or if you need to divide your group based on age. Older kids spend a day at Cedar point, while the younger swim and have fun.

This location is as advertised...great for ages 10 and under. Clean, courteous, and not over priced.

Room Tip: Stayed on the top floor in a family suite unit and never had any noise issues. The top floor was th...
Dubuque, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed here 2 nights while going to Cedar Point! It was perfect. Kids enjoyed rides during the day and swimming at night! Hotel was clean, easy to find, easy parking, great breakfast and had a great pool for the kids!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I've stayed here a few times in various rooms, including the Kids Cabin Suite which I loved, but because our family has grown from 5 to 6, we now book the Loft Fireplace Suite, which is also lovely and spacious.

My husband and I slept in the loft which has a nice queen size bed and its own powder room, so you don't need to make a trip downstairs in the middle of the night to use the restroom. It's not huge in size but there was room for the crib/play yard, which was good enough for us. It also has a small closet and a tv on a dresser, so there is adequate storage in the loft also.

Downstairs is pretty substantial. There are two more queen beds, giving each of my daughters their own bed, and a living room with a sofa sleeper, giving my son his own bed. If you want to double up additional people in the queen beds, the room could accommodate 9 people easily.

There is also a microwave and a dorm sized refrigerator. Of course, from the room name you know it has a fireplace also. Overall, the rooms are very nice and clean and the resort is very family-friendly.

I would recommend venturing to a restaurant offsite for breakfast though, as the food from the restaurant that serves breakfast is not very tasty but pricey. It's an unusual buffet situation, where you get a few things traditional buffet style, but the hot foods are brought out in large quantities on a plate for the table, usually bland and lukewarm temperature. The wait is long too since its the only restaurant in the resort serving breakfast.

Lunch and dinner options are fine, just expect resort prices for food. The property is very contained and small which has advantages. You can pickup snacks and yogurt, fruit, etc. from Walmart (which is nearby) store in your refrigerator, and return to your room for meals easily if you are in the water park because the rooms are just around the corner. Just keep in mind, the waterpark is attractive mostly to young children, not tweens and teens. Good news is the park admission is included in the cost of the rooms.

The nightime activity is great also...disneyesque. This is great because the water park closes, you go to your rooms shower and return to the lodge for dinner and story time. Some even come in their PJs. They have dancing at night, their own little disco...it is so cute. In the day there are a few other activities in the cub club and there is the magic quest (but we have never participated for personal reasons). There is an arcade too, so there is a range of activities outside the waterpark to entertain the kids, some free. (MagicQuest and arcade requires a fee).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

OK, I am going to do some complaining here, however, please keep in mind that my family LOVED staying here, overall! Very nice, clean place, with very friendly staff, great restaurants, Very nice rooms with comfy beds, and a fun waterslide park! We were all very pleased! In fact, my 9-year old son told me that this was THE BEST vacation he had ever been on! So, of coure that made me feel very good. ....BUT...... This place is pretty expensive. I mean, I don't know what other family resorts cost, but I'm not a rich man. We stayed there for 3 nights, and between the room rate, the "MagicQuest" game, 2 meals on the premises (for 2 adults & 2 children), and a few souvenirs, we spent about $1,000. ....A thousand bucks in 3 days. Perhaps some people consider this reasonable, but - one thing which I was particularly disappointed about, is this "MagicQuest" game. My advice is, Do NOT get your child involved with this, if you acn avoid it. First, they sell you a plastic wand for around $50-60 (depending on which wand your child chooses & how they want it decorated). Then they charge an additional $12 for the game booklet. Oh, and if you have 2 or more kids, you can bet they will want their own wands. ((Ouch!!)). This game is kind of like a scavenger hunt, and it might sound cool, but you soon discover, that in order to complete the game's many quests, your child (and most likely, yourself) will need atleast 8 hours. That's 8 hours of going back & forth, up & down to all of the lodge's 4 floors, reading the booklet & listening to various recorded messages throughout the lodge, etc. ...The novelty of this game wears off quickly for us parents! But, the kids do seem enjoy the game. I just think it is Way over-priced, and I felt taken advantage of, as a result. ...This game, plus the expensive room rates, are my only complaint. Otherwise, I would gladly recommend this place for a very fun family vacation! I even enjoyed some of the waterpark's slides & pools with my son, and we had a great time together. Although it's a particularly expensive place, I guess you should atleast do it once. ;)

Room Tip: Get a room which has either a "Wolf's Den" or "KId's Cabin" in it. This...
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is probably the cleanest hotel resort I've ever stayed in. My son and I take an annual summer trip somewhere and this year we went to Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky Ohio. The hotel is about fifteen minutes away from the park so if you want to take a break in the middle of the day, the hotel is well situated for doing that.

They have lots of things to do there, again, geared for pre-teens. They even have their own little indoor water park that is quite the fun place to splash about. They also have various activities they charge extra for, but the prices that I noticed didnt look too steep.

There are loads of places to eat nearby and the food is good. The food stores I saw appear to be member oriented. There is a Target nearby as well and they sell food. (Note to fellow beer drinkers...Target doesn't sell beer, nobody sells beer! AHHHHHHH!!! But wait! In Sandusky Ohio, if you want beer...go to a gas station! The prices are actually fine. Now if you want the hard stuff, I can't help you. I saw no, as in zero, liquor stores anywhere.

Let's see, what else. Okay, no eview is complete if you don't lodge a complaint. Mine was minor, they went a couple of days without cleaning the room. In fairness, I think this was a misunderstanding on the part of the maid. They could also leave more coffee, but if you want extra, just go to the front desk and they'll give you a handful of them.

Oh, very important! It may seem like a long drive, but you are about four hours away from Niagara Falls by car. Believe me when I tll you it is worth the drive!!

So, hopefully this is a helpful review. I do recommend the Great Wolf Lodge for anyone but again, they are definitely geared up for families with younger children.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This was my 10th visit to this GWL over 2 years. We normally stay here when visiting Cedar Point and typically have a very good time. Its actually a very affordable option for staying in the area if you use a discount, and if the weather isn't nice, you have the indoor water park as a backup to whatever else you had planned. It is, however, getting to a point where its in need of an update. Last visit, we had a small issue where one of the pieces of the bunk beds kept falling off. Nothing major, but an annoyance none the less. This time, the drain in the bath wouldn't work, the air conditioner was loud, and there was a horrible stain in the middle of the floor. Again, nothing extremely horrible, but not what I've come to expect from GWL. I will still probably stay here at some point in the future, but I will also check out some of the other water parks in the area such as Kalahari, Castaway Bay, or Maui Sands.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky and sharing your feedback with us! I am disappointed to learn of the issues with the suite on your latest visit, but whenever there are concerns like this, please notify us immediately so we can have Maintenance try and provide a timely resolution.

We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!