“Fun for All, Wet & Dry!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Great Wolf Lodge to your Saves list
Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   4600 Milan Road, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
“Fun for All, Wet & Dry!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at this hotel (our first was about 2.5 years ago). They have added more activities that really made this stay fun!

My kids are 2 and 5. The water slide choices here were perfect for us.

My daughter (5) really enjoyed the MagiQuest, running up and down the stairs off the main lobby looking for objects that answered riddles. It does cost extra, but they did email me coupons in advance that helped. And the stairs were a great workout. But being able to entertain our daughter outside the room so that my 2 year old (and one parent, of course) could nap in peace? Priceless.

My daughter and I also enjoyed Mommy-daughter pedicures at the Scoops spa. Again, a little pricey, but they sent me a coupon that really helped. And we had fun.

An unexpected bonus was the free 8x8 Shutterfly photo book. As scuba divers, my husband & I both have waterproof cameras/housings, so we had TONS of fun photos. I was grateful to have something to do with them!

We only had the basic, 2 queen bed room, but it was more than enough room. There was a couch and table on one side of the room, with a 3/4 wall for some separation. There was also a fridge and microwave so that we could do breakfast and lunch in our room.

My only complaint is that for a hotel with a water park, there really wasn't a good place in the room for us to hang up our wet swimsuits.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We met friends of ours here for a long MLK weekend. We had rooms that were next to each other, so 4 kids 4,5,6,7 years old. They loved the ability to have many sleeping arrangements, including the couch. However would not recommend the couch for someone over 80 lbs. Could get a little uncomfortable, like most couch mattresses.

The waterpark was perfect for this age range, they could do every ride, the 4 yo needed a parent to ride the big slide. The life guards seemed very attentive, friendly and helpful. There was enough to keep everyone happy for a good 3-4 hours, which was perfect timing for a food break. The lazy river is not much of a river, and more of a lazy loop, that would be my only complaint on the waterpark for this age range. If you get kids much older than 13, this park might seem a little small.

The only complaint on the rooms, is that they are very loud. You can hear someone walking down the hall, and we had some loud upstair neighbors until 2am. I think the hotel could do a better job of controlling room noise. Technically we didn't call the front desk, so can't complain to much, but we didn't want to wake our kids.

I am sure the room noise can be dependent on who you have around you, and I know there were a couple school groups there.

I would recommend and go again, very nice place and well maintained.

Chad

Room Tip: Futher from the water park will mean less noise, but a longer walk, and a 4th floor can eliminate th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Wheeling, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I traveled this past weekend with my sister and her children (ages 6, 7, 8, and 12). We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The kids were mainly interested in the water park. I was a little surprised at the different tolerances that the lifeguards allowed. Some allowed my nephew to go down the big tube slides by himself, while others did not. I was also surprised that several life guards were rude to the kids. While several other's seemed to really enjoy their job!
I loved the fact that I didn't need to bring a towel, as they were provided.
We didn't eat at the hotel, but found plenty of opportunities close by! My nephew's and niece did enjoy their bed time story, and my nephew loved that they sang "happy birthday" to him!

My only complaint was that my nephew's were looking for something and were checking under the beds, and found 2 different UNOPENED BEER cans! I'm just glad that they had the sense to NOT drink them! My sister mentioned this to the front desk upon check out and they seemed truly shocked. They did offer her a small credit!

All in all a good weekend!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge - Sandusky! We greatly appreciate the feedback on our lifeguarding staff because consistency is crucial to the overall safety of our guests. I will share this information with our Aquatics Team and it will be discussed internally to pinpoint what can be improved as we are always looking for ways to improve existing processes.

I am very sorry that your nephews found something that should not have been there. Please know that this is not customary and does not meet with the expectations we have set forth. I am glad that our Guest Services team was able to rectify the situation.

We hope to see your family again soon!

Hamilton, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We spent 3 nights here from December 21-24, 2013 as a family of 4. The beds were comfortable, the Family Suite was spacious, and the water park was FUN! We chose the Sandusky location over the Niagara Falls, Ontario location (which is only an hour's drive from our home) due to the difference in price. There was a BIG savings.... in our opinion it was worth the 5 hour drive across the border. The water slides were thrilling enough to keep our 13 year old son happy, and the kiddie slides kept our 4 year old son happy. He even enjoyed going on the big tube slide with me.... several times!

The staff at the reception desk were very courteous and eager to assist.... each time my husband needed a new room key after his floated out of his bathing suit pocket in the water park.... and to help us out with my younger son's Letter to Santa. As they were guaranteeing Santa would answer any letters delivered to him at the GWL, we had a problem since we weren't checking out until Christmas Eve and then heading back to Canada. How would Santa reply before Christmas? We were told Santa was mailing his replies directly to the child's home.... hmmmm... Was there any way Santa could reply and slip it under out room door???? The ladies at the reception desk said "No problem.... we can handle that!"

On checkout day, Christmas Eve, the Express Checkout paper was slipped under our door, along with a notecard on GWL stationary, addressed to our son. The note said Santa had left something at the front desk for him! We packed up, loaded the van, and went to checkout and find out what Santa had left. Lo and behold.... Santa had left a Great Wolf Lodge Wolf Ears headband! We were not expecting this cute Christmas surprise and our son loved the fact that Santa found him at the GWL!

I do have to say we were not overly thrilled with the buffet breakfast offering. I've never been to a buffet where the hot food is brought out to you.... and then you have to wait for the server to offer more hot food (eggs, sausage, bacon). We told her yes, we'd like some more, and there were 6 pieces of bacon brought out to us.... 6 pieces.... really? for 4 of us???? The food was good, but the serving concept is a little weird.

We ordered a few other meals from the counter service location in the lobby (can't remember the name, I'm sorry!) to eat in our room. The food was delicious and we felt the portions were good.... not bad for the price (considering it is hotel food prices!)

Location-wise, there is lots of shopping close by, although if you are looking for Walmart you'll have to drive for about 20 minutes.

All in all, we just might venture out for the 5 hour cross-border trip again in the future.

Room Tip: Although room 301 was in a fairly quiet location, it is probably one of the furthest away from the w...
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I suppose with all of the hype about Great Wolf Lodges, I was expecting this to be one of our better family stays. It was a little disappointing. The waterpark was small, the hotel was small, the hotel restaurant for breakfast was small and on both mornings of our short stay, the wait time was 45 minutes. We ended up getting a takeout breakfast to our room which only took 15 minutes.
Our kids loved the Magiquest and arcade, but bored quickly of the waterpark (particularly my 11 yr old). The room was a good size but for the price I just expected more. Bear in mind, Sandusky is the smallest of the Great Wolf resorts, the price is also the smallest as a result, but paying $250/night in an average hotel, I don't think we will be going back, our kids have probably outgrown it.
The floors, ceilings and walls didn't keep out the noise well and we could hear people walking, talking, and slamming doors well past midnight.

Room Tip: Try a room on a top floor so that you don't hear other guests stomping around upstairs until 2am...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
I am very sorry to hear that your experience at Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky did not meet your expectations. I am glad that your children enjoyed MagiQuest, and if you visit any of our other Great Wolf Lodge locations, you can bring those wands with you. They can then pick up where they left off or start a whole new adventure! They just need to have each wand re-activated.

If you want a Great Wolf experience that may be a bit more age appropriate with more space, I would recommend looking into our Mason, OH property or even Niagara Falls, ON, CA. You can see all the differences between our resorts online. To help make your next stay affordable, you can sign up for our ePack for these locations online and receive promotional offers directly to your inbox.

We hope to see your family again at a Great Wolf Lodge soon!

Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Great service, great stay so much fun. With the rider assist option three year old could ride everything except one slide. Magiquest can get pricey but so much fun. Enjoyed story time and snow keep it up you provided much rest and relaxation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We are so glad that your family enjoyed your visit to Great Wolf Lodge - Sandusky, OH. It is our mission to create family traditions, one family at a time. I do not know if you are aware, but we do offer several add-on packages that you can add to your next stay that would include several amenities (including MagiQuest) at a discounted price! For more information about those packages, you can visit us online at www.greatwolf.com/sandusky/packages. If you have any questions, feel free to take advantage of our online chat feature. Our chat agents are available from 8am to 10pm CST every day of the week and are waiting to assist you! Thank you again for choosing Great Wolf and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We took our 2 year old girl this past weekend and truly enjoyed the resort. We used a promo code and got a family suite for $185/night (tax/fees included). The room was pretty basic but a nice size, including a balcony. The lobby was decorated real nice for the holidays and provided a pretty fun little show at 8pm. The staff in the lobby and the food areas seemed to be helpful and enjoyed their job; however the younger kids working in the waterpark are rude (but who cares, let's get on to the stuff that matters)....the waterpark is really fun and small enough to get anywhere pretty quickly. I like how you can get to your room, the waterpark, the lobby, parking, etc. rather quickly. The entire resort is about 1/3 the size of Kalahari. There are four floors and you want to get either the 3rd/4th floor since the first two floors are VERY noisey/active. Stick to the food counters (instead of the resturant) quicker, and similar menu.

Room Tip: Get 3rd/4th floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!