“Years later and still a family friendly place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   4600 Milan Road, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Cleveland, Ohio
“Years later and still a family friendly place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family and I have stayed even when the lodge was the Great Bear, back in or around 2000 or 2001, The kids never get enough of the water park, and I love the spa. We have always had great rooms (most times we rent multiple rooms at a time), with a balcony. There has never been a season that we didn't like. One year we stayed 2 days before Christmas and we were snowed in. Management made sure that the guest were comfortable while they dug our cars out of the snow. The turnpike and I-90 East was shut down and they were considerate and caring enough to give us a free night stay. I love the fact that a mejjers is within walking distance since we always manage to forget a bathing suit or something, along with it affording us the opportunity to buy pop etc to put in the refrigerator we had in each of our rooms. We decided to stay on Father's Day this year, and again we were not disappointed in the courteous and professional manner in which the front desk treated us and other arriving guest. My mother and sister stopped in for a minute and we needed a wheel chair for my mom, she'd just gotten out of the hospital from a fall, and the front desk supplied her with a wheel chair (no charge), and a smile. This is our favorite local place to visit and stay. I would recommend the Great Wolf Lodge to anyone, family or others as well.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

They have tons of things to do in the lodge; anywhere from a waterpark to a kids spa. I think most people stay here when going out to Cedar Point, but if you are not a thrill seeker, there are plenty of things to do in the lodge. The waterpark is awesome. Our room wasn't ready until 7, but that meant more time at the waterpark. It is also the same price as opposed to staying at a cheap hotel on Cedar Point. The breakfast is expensive, so an option is to go to Steak n Shake next door.

• Stayed July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am by far extremely picky about where my family and I stay. When vacationing in Sandusky, there are lots of choices, but after reading reviews, only a few I would consider. I read the reviews for Great Wolf and felt it would be a reasonable place to stay for the price. We stayed in a Family Balcony Suite with Fireplace (divider with pull out and two TVs). The room was very clean . . . and I am always spotting things that gross me out. However, I did not see a thing that gave me that feeling. When walking by and seeing housekeeping clean the rooms, I saw them not only vacuuming the floors, but also using the attachment to get by and around dressers and beds. They also had the drawers pulled out and were vacuuming inside those as well. There are three layers of covers on the bed. The mattress cover is not a fitted sheet, but placed over the mattress. Then 3 layers: sheet, blanket, sheet. No gross bedspread. Many reviews complained about the size of the bathroom and the water pressure. We had no problem with either. The bathroom was plenty big for a hotel bathroom and with 5 five us, 3 having long hair, we had no problem washing and conditioning our hair.

The hallways are quiet between 11pm-7am to observe "hybernating hours". We arrived at 4:30 and our room was not ready. Before I could even ask when it would be ready, the check in employee asked if we had eaten and gave us 5 complimentary meals at one of their restuarants. Our bill was comped for $70. Food was just ok, but FREE is good.

Our children are 8, 14, and 15. When the older kids walked into the waterpark they did not think there would be enough to keep them busy. Although the waterpark is not as big as Kalahari, it's quality and clean. There are lifeguards everywhere. We had no worries letting our 8 year old go through the water park without us. If you're like me, waterparks can cause a little anxiety just because of cleanliness and ackward people. How nice is was to sit in the balcony area of the waterpark where you can see the entire park, and it's dry and free of people walking through with swimsuits, etc. This was an added bonus for us.

The outdoor pool is a good size with the deepest end at 4'6". It has basketball hoops and a divider rope when the pool drops to the deeper part. Lots of life guards our there too. Tons of chairs to tan in, many different styles. There's a Bud stand with drinks or you can get a drink inside and bring it outside. You cannot bring drinks into the waterpark or pool area. All in all, we were not disappointed with the waterpark.

There are TONS of restaurants, shops, and a Meijer is right next store. Steak and Shake is right there too so you don't even have to drive to get things. Every chain you can think of from McDonald's to Chilis, to Longhorn are there.

We would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 272 Family Suite with Fireplace. Many rooms have balconies, but some share with a...
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Family of 8. 4 Adults and 4 children. Ages 11, 10, 8 and 18 months. We stayed in the family loft suite. It was the perfect room for a larger group of people. Would have liked the "kitchen" area to be a bit bigger though. THe room was very clean and we were very pleased.
The Hotel itself was very clean and well kept, staff was very friendly too.
The water park is perfect. I want to say that I think the life guards there do a spectacular job. If you watch them, they have a routine and NEVER do they deviate from that. Constantly looking at the kids swimming and not distracted by other stuff happening around them. We let our 8,10 and 11 year old off by themselves almost the whole time in the water park. THe kiddie section was perfect for out 18 month old. She loved it. Everything was clean. I could not be happier with the choice of this hotel.
We stayed from Saturday to Wednesday. Spent 2 full days at Cedar Point and the rest of the time at the hotel.

Again...it was perfect!

Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I live in Niagara Falls, to stay 3 nights at the GWF in Sandusky was almost the same price as just one night in Niagara Falls. Well worth the drive to go there and hit Cedar Point. A great getaway, has big chain store right next door and a restaurant chain right out front. Very convenient for everything. I was upgraded for no charge to a jacuzzi room. I was very happy with the service, facilities and the cost

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Waterford, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The whole experience is great for kids under 10, but older kids may get bored. No wave pool, and I don't think the hot tub was indoor/outdoor.

Staff were great!

Also if you're staying the night try to stay away from the central corridor as the MaciQuest game and musical "show" seems loud and might disrupt early-to-bed, early-to-rise guests.

The hotel is clean, but not up to the standards I would have expected. I think the "lodge" look is more difficult to keep dust free. The water park is as clean as I expected, which is pretty decent.

I don't recommend getting the family-style breakfast. We enjoyed the Klondike cafe's convenience and the food was decent. You know it's clean because you get a bird's eye view from the platform of a water slide. It's a bit pricey, though, like most things in this hotel. Also, the cupcake from the counter service restaurant was inedible (which is unheard of for me!), they look pretty but taste horrendous!

A good value was the MagiQuest, we paid one fee for the entire time we were there and we played the whole time off an on. In comparison to the stand alone MagiQuest in Pigeon Forge (we paid the fee and our time was limited to 1.5 hours).

Room Tip: Stay away from the central corridor to avoid loud games and performances. I think the middle of the...
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My family and I arrived the Saturday before Father's Day and planned to stay for only one night. This trip was a treat for my Hubby and was quite last minute. Still, we are from Georgia and really wanted to experience Cedar Point. We booked the Great Wolf Lodge (GWL) because it is a hotel we always wanted to experience especially after going to Wilderness in Wisconsin (no comparison and much more highly suggested than GWL) and because Tripadvisor reviews of Breakers at Cedar Point was a bit of a turn off with the mention of old buildings and lack of cleanliness. With the extreme lack of cleanliness we experienced at Great Wolf Lodge, I am positive we would have come out better at Breakers.

When we arrived there was a huge family reunion going on and many the attendees were in the parking lot. Still, we went inside to check-in and even thought it was only 1 pm, we were given access to our Kid's Suite. The front desk receptionist was completely nice but I was given no details about the activities in the hotel except for the pool and story time. As, I watched other guests I noticed there was a scavenger hunt type game the kids could play which probably would have been fun if we would have known. Also, no information was given about the location of the elevators. Apparently there are two in the middle of the hotel and one on either end of the hotel as well.

We boarded the elevator and got off at our floor. The hotel hallways seemed really nice and everything felt updated. Everything fell apart when we entered our room and was steeply downhill from there. In the bathroom there was hair from previous guests and the back of the tub was clearly never wiped. Side note, the bathroom is insanely small with the bathroom sink outside of the bathroom itself. The counter near the sink had something nasty smeared across the counter which I promptly wiped with my Clorox wipes The kid suite area is not a full room but simply an enclosure type thing that stops 3/4 up to the ceiling, so the kids got pretty hot as there was no direct air. I hate to even think if this area was clean but I did wipe the bunk bed steps down for my daughter who was insistent upon sleeping at the top. Then, I found my husband wiping down some gunk from the walls but I didn't question. I found my way to the king bed and performed my inspection when I noticed mucus that had dried on the comforter of the bed. I promptly called housekeeping and of course they came right away to replace the comforter. My husband later mentioned the gunk he was wiping off appeared to be mucus as well.

The absolute topper of this whole stay was during the afternoon of my stay when I noticed one of the lifeguards out of water and standing on the wall inside the lazy river enclosure. She signaled her boss over and he promptly got in the water. They both stayed there for quite some time just waiting. Then, another lifeguard shows up with a red biohazard bag and a net. The boss looks around asking the lifeguard standing outside, "Where'd it go?" but then he found it and put it in the red back. All the while guests are swimming in the area through something that was clearly from someone's body. Insert your own conclusion here. Still, the lifeguard that was outside of the area, got down in the water to exit and had this look of "this is so extremely gross" with the body shake to go with it. This area was never evacuated nor were any of the guests told what had gone on in the Lazy River. Swim at your own risk at Great Wolf Lodge and be sure to shower promptly after exiting the water there. As for me and my family of 5, we will never, ever, never, ever go back to any of the GWL properties! Cedar Point park rocks though!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!