“Great hotel! Especially Great for Families!!” 5 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   4600 Milan Road, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #10 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Great hotel! Especially Great for Families!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I went in June 2007. Great year! My cousins and I visited Ohio to go to Cedar Point and we stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge. I'm very happy we did! It's a fun hotel.

✓ Standalone Greatness
Want to take your kids (maybe ages 5-10) on a vacation? You can take them to the Great Wolf Lodge and be set. There's a ton to do here. It's a very nice getaway for families.

✓ Water "Park"
Is very impressive, and huge! Since it's indoors, it's open year round. In my opinion it's most suitable for kids under the age of 10. They have an indoor and outdoor pool. You could go to this hotel and make a trip out of it if you have young kids with you.

✓ Nice Rooms
The beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean. I didn't have any problems with it!

✓ Arcade
There was an arcade downstairs that reminded me of a mini Dave & Busters. Very cool and very fun!

Bottom Line: This place is great for young families. Not exactly the best getaway for couples since you will be surrounded by kids. I was 17 and I had a good time. But this is because we were taking a trip to Cedar Point and because I had fun playing with my young cousin who was absolutely adorable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

729 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
London, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We (me, wife, 1yr old & 3yr old) visited Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky Ohio for a few days starting April 8th 2013. We are from London Ontario Canada and the trip was worth it. The cost was 1/2 of what it was in Niagara Falls Canada. The hotel was perfect for us. We got the family suite which was good for us and our kids but next time we'll upgrade to a room with a separate room for the kids. There was lots to do at the hotel for the kids. Story time in the lobby in the evening was a hit with the kids. There is a large grocery store right next to the hotel (within walking distance!) and there are plenty of restaurants down the street. We'll go back for sure!

p.s. The 3yr old absolutely loved the water park. My 1yr old... not so much. He's young so all the excitement and noise may have been a bit much for him. He loved the story time though!

Room Tip: Our hotel room faced the outdoor portion of the waterpark and we enjoyed the view. Especially since...
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed one night during spring break week. There was four of us. Children ages 4 and 6. Our room was clean. The waterpark was clean, heated water, and many attentive lifeguards. Our children enjoyed the nightly storytime in the main lobby. We ate dinner at there bar/ restaurant. The food was good. Breakfast the following morning was delicious. It is served family style which means the waitress brings out large plates of eggs, french toast, sausage and bacon to share. there was also a cold buffet which was included that has yougurt, fruit, cereal, pasteries.
We will definetly return for another trip.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms have very high ceilings. It was nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Wish it had more variety in food!! The room was the best part!! Actually had a complaint that they said we were making too much noise & they had the wrong room.
Had a call in the night that someone was calling rooms stating that they were the front desk asking for their information on their credit cards again!!
Hold on my credit card was longer than they said it would be!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburg, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Excellent, friendly staff accomodated our requests. Was dissappointed in that the size of this facility is so much smaller than others I have gone to; however, it was perfect to have small children go to this one as it was completely safe, friendly, and fun for them. This place is definitely popular for families with small ones. One fact I liked was there wasn't a whole lot of drinking going on. Would have liked a little more help on how to do the Wizard Wand quests because when you start out with the crowds in the night lighting it's really hard to read that little book & understand what to do. We had a great time and would do it again to make memories with the grandkids.

Port Huron, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at the GWL for the very first time over spring break so we expected it to be busy, check in was fine, room wasn't ready but they did take my cell number and called us within two hours, it was nice that we were able to use the waterpark before check in time. There was a Meijer really conveniently located so we did eat two out of three meals in the room to save money. Room with the Wolf Den was really roomy and great for the kids, they loved the bunk beds. On the last night of our stay my ENTIRE four person family came down with a gastrointestinal virus that must have been contracted in the water park. No staff member was seen doing quality checks of the water, the changerooms were very messy and always empty! Where were the hoards of people going to the bathroom??? I saw a lot of babies using swim diapers which I know from personal experience are not always the best at containing leakage of fluids. I think a greater effort could be made to make sure the pools are cleaner and at least that the water is getting regularly checked. We will be in no rush to return!
We were on the first floor which was also very noisy with door slamming and foot traffic.

Room Tip: Find a room on an upper floor Wolf Den suites really cool
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed during one of the spring break weeks, so it was very busy. The check in line was long, but my husband stayed in line while me and the kids explored the hotel and kids club. The waterpark is awesome and the kids, 5 and 3, loved every minute. Staff was great and they were on top of things. A big kid got rowdy and jumped almost right on top of my 3 year old and the lifeguard was all over it.

We stayed in the room with the bunk beds and it was worth a little extra because it was such a cool surprise for the kids. Our room was very nice, we slept well.

There were a few disappointments. Several of the games in the arcade did not work and/or were cheesy. A few toys in the kids club were broken and staff never got off their chair to interact with my kids. And yes, food is expensive but there are so many option just down the street.

The bedtime show is cute, but honestly it was hard to hear because the adults wouldn't stop talking! I wish staff could have intervened or "announced" the start of the show and remind people to be respectful.

We loved our second visit to GWL, but next time we will probably splurge and go to Kalahari or one of the larger GWL waterparks. My 5 year old mastered every slide and after I think had we stayed more than one night, we would have been a little bored.

Room Tip: Our room was not far from the stairs so everyone walked by our room. If you are a light sleeper, I...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!