“A very nice weekend getaway” 4 of 5 stars

You added Great Wolf Lodge to your Saves list
Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   4600 Milan Road, Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
“A very nice weekend getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for two nights and purchased the cabin suite for our girls. They loved having their own room and so did we. The lodge is small and quaint. It is smaller than the other waterpark close by but that makes it a bit homier. Two days was a perfect stay as towards the end we were running out of stuff to do and had spent most of our time in the waterpark. The restaurant food is expensive and nothing to write home about. They really need to invest in better plastic ware as it was very flimsy. My 7 and 4 old loved the show and the fake snow. I would say this lodge is better for kids 8 and under...

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We reserved a family suite on a 48 hour special - stayed Sunday night after Thanksgiving. Checked right into our room at 1 PM - YAY! BOO that even though I did the online check in and asked in the special request for a top floor - quiet room - no one seemed to read that and was given a room on the 2nd floor. They did manage to change my room to 4th floor (top) but was near the highway - so we did hear some traffic noise.
Room had 2 queens and sleeper sofa, microwave, sm. fridge, coffee maker, the bathroom was VERY small - toilet and bath/shower - you couldn't really open door if someone (like my child) on the toilet (and he needed help). Sink/vanity in main room which is helpful.
Hallway was long and a bit drafty. Everything was clean and nicely kept up.
Northern Lights arcade proved to be fun for 1 hour - $20 and 3 junky prize toys later.
Cute story time by the big tree in lobby was well-attended. Get there early! Everyone (kids) in their PJs...
Dinner at the restarant was better than expected. They were running a specail - kids ate free so that saved us about $8. The food was pretty good, the service was ok, it was a little overpriced.
Skip the breakfast - it is buffet - family style, which was ok - but, we don't eat some of the food we were served so it just got wasted. They have an omlette station, this was probably one of the few servers who wasn't that good - she wasn't rude, but she wasn't very "happy". Omlette wasn't cooked right either. The worst was the actual buffet with the fruit, cereal, muffins, etc - the fruit was HORRIBLE! The melons were one of the few things that were fresh and didn't come from a can and they were not ripe! Brown bananas, unappealing looking apples, fruit cocktail from a Can, peaches, pears all from cans! at $11.99 a person - get some fresh berries and decent looking fruit on here!! yeesh....
WATER PARK
Skimpy little towels are provided, but you are not permitted to take them out of the park area (some still do). So, I would advise if you stay in the cold months to either take a robe or your own towel as the hallways are drafty and cold (esp. for the little ones).
It is on the smaller size, but, for us and a 5 y/o boy it was perfect. We actually felt safe enough to let him play in the treehouse area by himself as we sat at a table area and watch occassionally that he was ok. A bigger area we would have NOT done that as I am quite paranoid someone will take him! He loved all the slides and esp. the water areas on the treehouse.
Most lifeguards are pretty good - above average.
Snack area inside waterpark has various "game type" food and even alcohol! Too pricey for us on this trip. We brought in bottled water and a few sm. snacks even though there is a sign that says not too.
Locker rooms are available to change - they could be bigger IMO.... only 4 changing stalls and I had to wait - open shower area - no stalls - 2 hair dryers and a water extractor for swim clothes.
Lockers to rent - seemed way overpriced to me....
For the price we paid - $109 and for just the 2 days it was better than good. My son had a blast and we didn't break the bank!

Room Tip: if you want quiet - ask for top floor and away from the highway - then follow through upon actual c...
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We went the week before school starts in Ontario, it meant the locals were in school and the hotel was not crowded. I understand that this is smaller than the GWL in Niagara Falls (which is closer to home for us), however the price was less than half. We ended up staying 3 nights. The last night was an add on in an upgraded room for a great rate. We only ordered pizza once and it was good enough and not terribly expensive. The rest of the time we ate food from the grocery store across the parking lot (Mejiers) and used the microwave and fridge in the room. My five year old was able to go on all of the slides with me and with the exception of the two big tube rides could do everything else by herself (me going first and meeting her at the end). She was wearing a puddle jumper, which is permitted at this park and affords much greater mobility and comfort. Our little ones (under 3) had plenty of fun in the kiddie area and tamest slides. Sarah at the Kid's Club was great as was most of the staff, the only exception being the arcade attendent that appeared to be about 24 months pregnant, so I'll give her a pass. My only beefs with this GWL are that the keycard reader from the parking lot and the room were "tempromental". Even after a replacement you had to be like Fonzie and do it a certain way for it to work. A lot of patrons seemed to have this problem, and they did have staff handy most of the time to help out, it still was a PITA when you have wet, tired kids in tow. Also there was a fire alarm while we were there (not a drill) and although the staff were quite efficient at clearing the building, noone seemed to know the cause, even afterwards. We had five in our party and couldn't find a deal at Kalahari (some say it's cheaper) but we were more than happy with our trip. I think due to the fact that this GWL doesn't have those "killer kamikaze" type slides, it makes it more family friendly for those who have kids under 10. We are planning another trip there next year with friends during the same time period.

Room Tip: The cabin and wolf den rooms make "adult time" possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We went to Great Wolf twice in a 2-month time span because we got a great deal on Living Social. This water park is terrific for kids under the age of 12. If you have been to Kalahari and then you go to Great Wolf, it is like taking your kids from a hotel at Disney to a Cedar Point hotel. Both are great but Kalahari has much more to offer for adults and kids of all ages. Kalahari is also very, very big. Great Wolf is very small, but I do like that because I have 3 boys under the age of 9, they were easy to spot at most times. Great Wolf definitely has fewer water slides and attractions, again comparatively to Kalahari. Yet our kids were always on the go and loved certain rides like the blue inner tube raft ride, lazy river and my 3-year-old son for some reason "wanted to get his soak on."
Great Wolf always has activities geared toward younger kids. The first time we went was during the Halloween season. They had trick or treating with stations for kids wearing costumes in the evening. They also supplied pumpkins for all kids to decorate. The next time we visited was just before Thanksgiving. They had already started decorating the lodge for Christmas. In the evenings on both trip they had a story time in the lobby in which all kids gather around for an animatronic character lead story.
Kids loved the Kids Cabin suite. There is a sectioned off room with a set of bunks and a single, perfect for our family of five. The kids portion also has a television and video gaming system. The adult portion had a pretty comfy king bed. A one night stay was all that was needed for this bunch. All in all, great value, fun time!

Room Tip: Second floor close to water park. 4th floor further away, rooms have high ceilings therefore appear...
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My family visited on a Sunday-Monday after Thanksgiving and the resort was not crowded at all and very pleasant. On our prior stays the kids have always had a blast at the waterpark but I was never crazy about the place. The have made some marked improvements since last year and continue to work throughout the hotel.
The water park is now handicapped accessible, meaning they have wheelchair lifts for the pool, hot tub, lazy river, etc that I never before noticed and I give two thumbs up for that great improvement. It gave me a good feeling knowing they want to make the place friendly to all who may visit.
The carpet in the hallways was new and looked great. The room, family fireplace suite with two queen beds and a fireplace with an extra TV, was updated and looked fresh. I enjoyed my time in the room on this visit. It was clean, the beds were new and very comfy, pillows awesome. Six pillows in different levels of squishiness was much appreciated. Never used the fireplace because the rooms are too warm to begin with. But it's nice to see and the extra space in the room is nice to have. There was even kid's body wash in the shower which my husband and daughter enjoyed. They smelled nice.
The front desk gals were very pleasant and helpful.
The snacks inside the waterpark were OK but overpriced but I guess you pay for the convenience.
Dinner at the Gitchagoomie Grill was nice as always. All of the food was great, portabella fajitas, burgers, ribs, steak salad, kids meals - all done well and tasty. Maybe a little too pricey for the casual fare but the convenience factors in here. They had Great Lakes Christmas Ale on tap which was a plus.
The restaurant manager or one of the managers, a young guy, did us a favor when we were celebrating my daughter's birthday. He had the Wiley the Wolf character get dressed and visit the restaurant for a photo op and some birthday wishes. Made her day. Thank you whoever you are!
The only negative I have is the breakfast place, the Lumberjack Shanty. It was not very crowded and they sat the three of us in a corner table that was uncomfortable. The breakfast really isn't that great. The buffet part had nothing that looked appealing to me, not very healthy, mostly canned fruits and mass produced mini muffins and pastry. All of the hot food brought to the table had to be full of fat and salt and really didn't taste that great. It cost $30 for two adults to eat with coffee, children ate free. Not worth the price. Plus we had to ask for coffee cream (they should be in a bowl on the table). I can get a better breakfast buffet for almost half the price at the local truck stop if I want. But convenience. You pay for it.
The arcade is always fun, the kids love it.
We will return again next year for the birthday weekend. My daughter will be talking about it for the next 11 1/2 months now.

Room Tip: Ask if any ugrades are available and if you are a smoker make sure you get a room with a balcony or...
Vestaburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Loved the trip with the family over thanksgiving break. We all had a great time. All the employees were great with my kids. I will definitely be back again. Lots to do for the kids. Stayed in a regular room may try for the room with the kids cabin next time.

Nanjing
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The water park aspect of it is great (except w/tiniest tots, be careful b/c the tot pool can scratch tender skin), but the dining and the beds/bedding aren't great. The beds are too soft and concave, like too many kids bounced on the bed, and the pillows are way to fluffy and tall so that as your body sinks in, your head is wrenched up. We've stayed here three times b/c the kids like it, but the food situation is dreadful. We ate at the Grill, and the waitress didn't ask how the burger should be cooked, adn it came medium rare. She said she requested med well, but I used to be a grill cook, and this was no med well. It was bright red to pink inside -- obviously cooked on too hot a grill (outside was the right look, but a good grill cook can tell by touch what the inside is like, regardless of the outside). The Grill was too dim for my husband to tell how pink it was, or it wouldn't have eaten more than one bite (he has a colleague who researches e.coli and she recommends never eating pink ground beef). I was told the Reuben was tough, and to get something else (was that a scam to get me to eat a more expensive meal?), so I ordered a kind of hot cajun pasta (which she mispronounced as ratatouille), which had very few veggies, and the broccoli was inedible for me, it was so undercooked. It was a huge plate of heavy creamy pasta, some people might like it, but not me. The entree selection wasn't good. For breakfast, we got there when it opened, but it still took 30 minutes to get food delivered. There is plenty of hot greasy food (deep fried "french toast" fingers, meats, hash browns..) and good made-to-order omelets, but I could not find the regular toast and there were no English muffins.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!