“Keep us coming back....” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #9 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Pinckney, Michigan, United States
“Keep us coming back....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is my familes 4th stay in the past 6 months at this facility and they consistently provide excellent service in every aspect of hospitality. I would like to commend Kevin Bednarek (General Manager) with a special shout out to front desk customer service rep Andrea for providing outstanding customer service and making us feel right at home! I travel worldwide with Marriott being my preferred hotel of choice. Even though Fairfield Inn Sandusky is considered a category 3 hotel they consistently provide us with customer service that most category 6 hotels could learn from. Thank you for making our vacation get always comfortable and worry free, see you soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kevin B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
I am so happy that each and everyone of your stays here at the hotel has surpassed the high standard that Marriott requires for all its properties! Every year myself and the staff work hard to make sure that everyone of our guests feels special and remembers there stay for years to come!!
Its why I am in this business.
Kevin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here on a Monday night after spending the day at Cedar Point. Very friendly people. We knew we wouldn't check in until late, and I had made reservation thru the Marriott website. On my reservation I'd requested a rollaway, but to be safe I called during the day to confirm. I was told by the pleasant woman on the phone that the bed request was noted and would be in the room when we arrived. She was so quick with her response that I didn't believe her....too convenient I thought. Well, we arrived at our room about 9pm and sure enough, there it was! Thankfully.

Next morning breakfast went very smooth...it was not overly crowded at all as some have noted. In fact it was quite empty...we were there at 8 a.m. We did need to get some extra towels, and I will say they were quite 'thin' from over use, but the folks were pleasant and gave them to us promptly.

The only negative was that we needed a blanket for the rollaway. I went down to request one and they said they only had one left and it was presently in the laundry. However, the woman offered to bring it to us when it was done, which would be about an hour. Well and hour came and went, we were all beat and went to bed. The blanket never came...fortunately, we did have a light blanket in the car so we retrieved it.

All it all it was a nice place, clean, breakfast was adequate, very friendly people....a little sparse with amenities and creature comforts, but all in all, we'd return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kevin B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Its great to hear that you enjoyed my staff and I am also glad that Andrea my front desk manager took care of you on the roll away and got it to your room. Its great to hear most of all that we leave a lasting good impression on our guests and I am glad that we did that for you!
Medford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

When our original accommodations had been in fear of a flood while we were staying in Freemont OH. We were able to find great accommodations at the this hotel. Andrea the Front Office Manager was so sweet and helpful. She has great customer service and was very accommodating when she had seen that my mother in law and I had been going to from hotel to hotel and striking out on rooms due to the Dance Competition that we were in town for had taken over majority of the hotel rooms in the area. The hotel was clean, comfortable and just what was needed for the weary travelers that we had become. The general manager Kevin was also helpful in getting us directions to Marble Head. I can't say enough about this hotel, and when you work in the hotel business as I do it is comforting to know that there are other hotels out there that will go out of their way for their guests as this hotel does. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is staying in the Sandusky area. Thank you again to Andrea and Kevin and their staff for a great stay.

Room Tip: Would definitely stay here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much!!! Andrea I really appreciate your review. Its great to here from a fellow employee in the hotel industry on how my hotel is doing. I am so happy that you recognized how much we enjoy are guests and try to make them feel like family!! I also am glad that you found the stay clean and comfortable. Thank you again,
Kevin and Andrea
Waldorf, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

If you are planning a visit to Sandusky Ohio, (Cedar Point) I would recommend this hotel. We were greeted right away with a staff that was inviting, helpful and courteous. Hotel was clean and appeared to be cared for.

Though the rooms could have been a bit bigger, they did have a cramped feel and as well as the restroom. Towels seemed to be inventoried and well worn.

The notice left on the desk advising me of "the rooms inventory" and what it would cost me if I "Decided I liked it enough to take home with me" made me feel in a much less "Marriott" type hotel like one with a number as it's name...

The pull out bed my son slept on was terrible, in fact it was so bad, the floor was a better option... However once reported to the staff, they quickly arrived with extra bedding to help soften the bed...

Breakfast was provided, and there was ample parking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn and Suites Sandusky! The staff and myself are glad that you had a good stay and since your review I have started putting Marriott towels into the inventory stream.
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a reasonably priced hotel that's not too far away from Cedar Point. The room was clean and nicely furnished. Beds were a little soft and sunk into the middle, but after two full days at Cedar Point, we crashed and slept well. Can't rate the pillows as I always bring my own. Breakfast room was a bit crowded the third morning, but there was a good selection. I would definitely stay there again as it was a reasonable price and decent proximity to the park. Good variety of restaurants close. Our room was right by the elevator, so occasionally heard the "ding" as it arrived on our floor, but other than that, the room was very quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kevin B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay!! It pleases the staff and myself to know that you had a clean room and a comfortable stay!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The location is good but I didn't feel my room was very clean, there was an used soap bar in the bathroom and a wet towel when we checked in.
It's close to cedar point and has restaurants near by. If I go again I would book another hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
I wish we could have done more to give you a great time instead of an okay time. The staff and I work very hard to give everyone a memorable stay. I really hope you will come back and give us a second chance to really leave a good impression on you. Please come and try us again.
Gaithersburg, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a lengthy review as we had some problems, but because of the receptionist, Adriana, we would give this hotel another try and her response to our problems is why I rated it very good. It was very clean (room and lobby) despite the food that was left in the fridge by a previous guest. The breakfast room was extremely crowded and only one doorway to go in/out. For more details read on.

We reserved our room for 2 nights online and requested a feather free room due to allergies. Upon arrival we were put in a 1st floor room. However, when we got to our door our key didn't work. I also noticed we were right next to the laundry room. So when I went back to get the key fixed I asked for a new room as I didn't want to stay 2 nights with kids and have someone else decide to do laundry late at night. The receptionist moved us to a room on the 2nd floor and said that it may not be feather free, but that they would swap out the pillows if needed. We went upstairs to have that key not work. I went back downstairs and another receptionist, Adriana, checked on it and reissued the key. When we got in to the room we checked the beds (no bugs and none reported on the online bed bug registry either) and noticed the pillows were feather. Before we could call the front desk, Adriana called us to see how many feather free pillows we needed and brought them right up to us. One other thing to note was that when we arrived in the room it was freezing (the temp was set to the coldest setting at 55 degrees). We adjusted the thermostat and when we returned from dinner the room was comfortable.

The next day we went to Cedar Point. Breakfast ends at 9am and we arrived around 8am. The place was packed; the line was out the door and down the hallway a few people. My husband was inside with the kids and I could not get in unless I waited in the line. It is not an easy to access room or buffet line (e.g. if you want to skip the hot food and get to the breads/coffee you feel like you are cutting in line). There were several staff working the breakfast room and looked exhausted like it had been non-stop. We quickly ate and left. We drove to CP and arrived within 15 minutes. The bugs were annoying but don't bite and bug spray didn't help. Several got in our car, but were dead when we came back after a day at the park.

When we arrived back to the Fairfield around 10pm, our room was freezing again and the window was foggy and w/ moisture. The thermostat was set to 55 degrees. My husband turned down the temperature. Once we were ready to turn out the lights (about 25 minutes later) the unit still had not kicked back on. My husband turned the fan on to circulate the air and it would not work nor did the heat. We called the front desk and Adriana was working again. She told us to turn off and unplug the unit for 10 min and see what happens. We did and the fan et al still did not work even when we pushed the reset button on the plug. We called Adrianna who came up right away. She took the unit cover off, tried some things, read an instruction sheet, unplugged the unit, and neither she nor my husband could get it working. Meanwhile the 2 kids were trying to fall asleep, luckily 1 of the 2 did exhausted from the day. It seemed the unit was 'broken', the hotel was full, and I asked if there was an oscillating fan we could have for the night to at least move the air. Adriana said yes and my husband offered to go down and get it. Within moments of plugging in the fan, the unit clicked on. My husband took the fan back down and we finally turned in at 11:30pm.

The next morning I checked out with Kevin the manager and he was aware of what happened and explained that we needed the temp in the room to drop for the unit to work, but I said the heat wasn't working either. Kevin explained that the hotel shuts off the heat at a master control so it wouldn't work and Adriana didn't know that. We tried to do breakfast but at 7:30 am it was crowded (not as bad as the previous day with a line out the door, but no seating). We opted to get on the road and get something on the way. Before getting in the car, I went back in and told Kevin that my husband reminded me the fan wouldn't work either. The maintenance guy was nearby and I told him what happened. He was courteous and said he'd check it out. Kevin then handed me a bill with a room discount on it and apologized for the inconvenience. (We also had hot wings and an ice cream bar left in our fridge in our room from previous guests and Kevin said he'd follow-up with the cleaning staff).

Adriana really made the stay pleasant. She was very hospitable, polite, and helpful. We would give this Fairfield Inn another try if in the area because of her promptness and approach to problems. We would definitely bring some bars/cereal just in case the breakfast room was too crowded.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the great comments about my staff and the hotel. We are going to expand the breakfast room this winter to give more room to the guests. Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn and Suites Sandusky.
Kevin

Been to Fairfield Inn Sandusky? Share your experiences!