“Our Savior!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
Medford, New York
“Our Savior!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

When our original accommodations had been in fear of a flood while we were staying in Freemont OH. We were able to find great accommodations at the this hotel. Andrea the Front Office Manager was so sweet and helpful. She has great customer service and was very accommodating when she had seen that my mother in law and I had been going to from hotel to hotel and striking out on rooms due to the Dance Competition that we were in town for had taken over majority of the hotel rooms in the area. The hotel was clean, comfortable and just what was needed for the weary travelers that we had become. The general manager Kevin was also helpful in getting us directions to Marble Head. I can't say enough about this hotel, and when you work in the hotel business as I do it is comforting to know that there are other hotels out there that will go out of their way for their guests as this hotel does. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is staying in the Sandusky area. Thank you again to Andrea and Kevin and their staff for a great stay.

Room Tip: Would definitely stay here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kevin B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you so much!!! Andrea I really appreciate your review. Its great to here from a fellow employee in the hotel industry on how my hotel is doing. I am so happy that you recognized how much we enjoy are guests and try to make them feel like family!! I also am glad that you found the stay clean and comfortable. Thank you again,
Kevin and Andrea

280 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Waldorf, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

If you are planning a visit to Sandusky Ohio, (Cedar Point) I would recommend this hotel. We were greeted right away with a staff that was inviting, helpful and courteous. Hotel was clean and appeared to be cared for.

Though the rooms could have been a bit bigger, they did have a cramped feel and as well as the restroom. Towels seemed to be inventoried and well worn.

The notice left on the desk advising me of "the rooms inventory" and what it would cost me if I "Decided I liked it enough to take home with me" made me feel in a much less "Marriott" type hotel like one with a number as it's name...

The pull out bed my son slept on was terrible, in fact it was so bad, the floor was a better option... However once reported to the staff, they quickly arrived with extra bedding to help soften the bed...

Breakfast was provided, and there was ample parking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn and Suites Sandusky! The staff and myself are glad that you had a good stay and since your review I have started putting Marriott towels into the inventory stream.
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is a reasonably priced hotel that's not too far away from Cedar Point. The room was clean and nicely furnished. Beds were a little soft and sunk into the middle, but after two full days at Cedar Point, we crashed and slept well. Can't rate the pillows as I always bring my own. Breakfast room was a bit crowded the third morning, but there was a good selection. I would definitely stay there again as it was a reasonable price and decent proximity to the park. Good variety of restaurants close. Our room was right by the elevator, so occasionally heard the "ding" as it arrived on our floor, but other than that, the room was very quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kevin B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay!! It pleases the staff and myself to know that you had a clean room and a comfortable stay!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The location is good but I didn't feel my room was very clean, there was an used soap bar in the bathroom and a wet towel when we checked in.
It's close to cedar point and has restaurants near by. If I go again I would book another hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
I wish we could have done more to give you a great time instead of an okay time. The staff and I work very hard to give everyone a memorable stay. I really hope you will come back and give us a second chance to really leave a good impression on you. Please come and try us again.
Gaithersburg, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a lengthy review as we had some problems, but because of the receptionist, Adriana, we would give this hotel another try and her response to our problems is why I rated it very good. It was very clean (room and lobby) despite the food that was left in the fridge by a previous guest. The breakfast room was extremely crowded and only one doorway to go in/out. For more details read on.

We reserved our room for 2 nights online and requested a feather free room due to allergies. Upon arrival we were put in a 1st floor room. However, when we got to our door our key didn't work. I also noticed we were right next to the laundry room. So when I went back to get the key fixed I asked for a new room as I didn't want to stay 2 nights with kids and have someone else decide to do laundry late at night. The receptionist moved us to a room on the 2nd floor and said that it may not be feather free, but that they would swap out the pillows if needed. We went upstairs to have that key not work. I went back downstairs and another receptionist, Adriana, checked on it and reissued the key. When we got in to the room we checked the beds (no bugs and none reported on the online bed bug registry either) and noticed the pillows were feather. Before we could call the front desk, Adriana called us to see how many feather free pillows we needed and brought them right up to us. One other thing to note was that when we arrived in the room it was freezing (the temp was set to the coldest setting at 55 degrees). We adjusted the thermostat and when we returned from dinner the room was comfortable.

The next day we went to Cedar Point. Breakfast ends at 9am and we arrived around 8am. The place was packed; the line was out the door and down the hallway a few people. My husband was inside with the kids and I could not get in unless I waited in the line. It is not an easy to access room or buffet line (e.g. if you want to skip the hot food and get to the breads/coffee you feel like you are cutting in line). There were several staff working the breakfast room and looked exhausted like it had been non-stop. We quickly ate and left. We drove to CP and arrived within 15 minutes. The bugs were annoying but don't bite and bug spray didn't help. Several got in our car, but were dead when we came back after a day at the park.

When we arrived back to the Fairfield around 10pm, our room was freezing again and the window was foggy and w/ moisture. The thermostat was set to 55 degrees. My husband turned down the temperature. Once we were ready to turn out the lights (about 25 minutes later) the unit still had not kicked back on. My husband turned the fan on to circulate the air and it would not work nor did the heat. We called the front desk and Adriana was working again. She told us to turn off and unplug the unit for 10 min and see what happens. We did and the fan et al still did not work even when we pushed the reset button on the plug. We called Adrianna who came up right away. She took the unit cover off, tried some things, read an instruction sheet, unplugged the unit, and neither she nor my husband could get it working. Meanwhile the 2 kids were trying to fall asleep, luckily 1 of the 2 did exhausted from the day. It seemed the unit was 'broken', the hotel was full, and I asked if there was an oscillating fan we could have for the night to at least move the air. Adriana said yes and my husband offered to go down and get it. Within moments of plugging in the fan, the unit clicked on. My husband took the fan back down and we finally turned in at 11:30pm.

The next morning I checked out with Kevin the manager and he was aware of what happened and explained that we needed the temp in the room to drop for the unit to work, but I said the heat wasn't working either. Kevin explained that the hotel shuts off the heat at a master control so it wouldn't work and Adriana didn't know that. We tried to do breakfast but at 7:30 am it was crowded (not as bad as the previous day with a line out the door, but no seating). We opted to get on the road and get something on the way. Before getting in the car, I went back in and told Kevin that my husband reminded me the fan wouldn't work either. The maintenance guy was nearby and I told him what happened. He was courteous and said he'd check it out. Kevin then handed me a bill with a room discount on it and apologized for the inconvenience. (We also had hot wings and an ice cream bar left in our fridge in our room from previous guests and Kevin said he'd follow-up with the cleaning staff).

Adriana really made the stay pleasant. She was very hospitable, polite, and helpful. We would give this Fairfield Inn another try if in the area because of her promptness and approach to problems. We would definitely bring some bars/cereal just in case the breakfast room was too crowded.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the great comments about my staff and the hotel. We are going to expand the breakfast room this winter to give more room to the guests. Thank you for choosing the Fairfield Inn and Suites Sandusky.
midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Decent, clean hotel. Room was nicely furnished. Bed comfy but pillows were terrible. Everyone commented on how it kinda ruined their sleep. I rolled mine over into a ball to get some support out of it. Fridge and microwave were handy. Strange place for shelf on corner near bathroom, we almost kept hitting our head on it as we came out of bathroom and turn the corner into room. Sink is in room, not bathroom. Lights witch for bathroom is outside bathroom for some reason. Pull out couch very uncomfortable (for our teenager). Pool is tiny but clean. Breakfast at 8:30 am next day was packed, no place to sit, pretty limited selection. Good location in quiet area and seemed nicer than other hotels. Manny's Sports bar across street (small place, parking in back) was great upscale bar with delicious fresh food. About a 15 minute drive to CP. Best Western across the street looked new and inviting, going to try there next time.

Room Tip: try a room in the back, traffic from the road in front of hotelcould be heard in am.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kevin B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
I am glad you found my hotel decent and clean. As for the pillows they are two goose down and two foam per bed these are required by Marriott to have because they are what the guests have requested throughout all the Marriott properties and are often purchased online by guests. I personally carry my own firmer pillows when I travel. The breakfast room was so crowded because we sell out every night at our hotel and we have a vast selection of breakfast food such as fresh scrambled eggs, fresh sausage patties, waffles, two different types of yogurts, fresh fruit, muffins, donuts, bagels, croissants, english muffins, white bread, wheat bread, whole grain bread, three different cereals to choose from, fresh oatmeal, instant oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, three different juices, fresh mixed tropical fruit and danish. All provided for free by the hotel along with our indoor pool, hot tub and fitness center. Thank you again for choosing the Fairfield Inn and Suites where we treat the guest like family.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Used reward points to find a Marriott close to Cedar Point and this was it. It is 10-20 minutes from Cedar Point but the rooms were dated. For a quick night in preparation for Cedar Point it was okay but if I had paid $140 for the room, I would have been disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013
Kevin B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Although I am surprised you found the hotel dated it was completely renovated inside two years ago this past May following Marriott's hotel policies on keeping a bright and up to date facility the inside of the hotel is Marriott's new green tea color for all Fairfield Inn's across the U.S.! The rates of this hotel are set to match competitively with all hotels in the area and I try very hard to give the best possible rate to all my guests. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again real soon!
Kevin

Been to Fairfield Inn Sandusky? Share your experiences!