This is a lengthy review as we had some problems, but because of the receptionist, Adriana, we would give this hotel another try and her response to our problems is why I rated it very good. It was very clean (room and lobby) despite the food that was left in the fridge by a previous guest. The breakfast room was extremely crowded and only one doorway to go in/out. For more details read on.
We reserved our room for 2 nights online and requested a feather free room due to allergies. Upon arrival we were put in a 1st floor room. However, when we got to our door our key didn't work. I also noticed we were right next to the laundry room. So when I went back to get the key fixed I asked for a new room as I didn't want to stay 2 nights with kids and have someone else decide to do laundry late at night. The receptionist moved us to a room on the 2nd floor and said that it may not be feather free, but that they would swap out the pillows if needed. We went upstairs to have that key not work. I went back downstairs and another receptionist, Adriana, checked on it and reissued the key. When we got in to the room we checked the beds (no bugs and none reported on the online bed bug registry either) and noticed the pillows were feather. Before we could call the front desk, Adriana called us to see how many feather free pillows we needed and brought them right up to us. One other thing to note was that when we arrived in the room it was freezing (the temp was set to the coldest setting at 55 degrees). We adjusted the thermostat and when we returned from dinner the room was comfortable.
The next day we went to Cedar Point. Breakfast ends at 9am and we arrived around 8am. The place was packed; the line was out the door and down the hallway a few people. My husband was inside with the kids and I could not get in unless I waited in the line. It is not an easy to access room or buffet line (e.g. if you want to skip the hot food and get to the breads/coffee you feel like you are cutting in line). There were several staff working the breakfast room and looked exhausted like it had been non-stop. We quickly ate and left. We drove to CP and arrived within 15 minutes. The bugs were annoying but don't bite and bug spray didn't help. Several got in our car, but were dead when we came back after a day at the park.
When we arrived back to the Fairfield around 10pm, our room was freezing again and the window was foggy and w/ moisture. The thermostat was set to 55 degrees. My husband turned down the temperature. Once we were ready to turn out the lights (about 25 minutes later) the unit still had not kicked back on. My husband turned the fan on to circulate the air and it would not work nor did the heat. We called the front desk and Adriana was working again. She told us to turn off and unplug the unit for 10 min and see what happens. We did and the fan et al still did not work even when we pushed the reset button on the plug. We called Adrianna who came up right away. She took the unit cover off, tried some things, read an instruction sheet, unplugged the unit, and neither she nor my husband could get it working. Meanwhile the 2 kids were trying to fall asleep, luckily 1 of the 2 did exhausted from the day. It seemed the unit was 'broken', the hotel was full, and I asked if there was an oscillating fan we could have for the night to at least move the air. Adriana said yes and my husband offered to go down and get it. Within moments of plugging in the fan, the unit clicked on. My husband took the fan back down and we finally turned in at 11:30pm.
The next morning I checked out with Kevin the manager and he was aware of what happened and explained that we needed the temp in the room to drop for the unit to work, but I said the heat wasn't working either. Kevin explained that the hotel shuts off the heat at a master control so it wouldn't work and Adriana didn't know that. We tried to do breakfast but at 7:30 am it was crowded (not as bad as the previous day with a line out the door, but no seating). We opted to get on the road and get something on the way. Before getting in the car, I went back in and told Kevin that my husband reminded me the fan wouldn't work either. The maintenance guy was nearby and I told him what happened. He was courteous and said he'd check it out. Kevin then handed me a bill with a room discount on it and apologized for the inconvenience. (We also had hot wings and an ice cream bar left in our fridge in our room from previous guests and Kevin said he'd follow-up with the cleaning staff).
Adriana really made the stay pleasant. She was very hospitable, polite, and helpful. We would give this Fairfield Inn another try if in the area because of her promptness and approach to problems. We would definitely bring some bars/cereal just in case the breakfast room was too crowded.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Fairfield Inn & Suites, located in beautiful Sandusky, Ohio. Our hotel is conveniently situated on Route 250, within a short drive of local attractions including Cedar Point Amusement Park, Sandusky State Theater, Kalahari Water Park, and various shopping, dining, and nature trails along unforgettable Lake Erie. We offer various room sizes to accommodate travelers for leisure and business alike. We want you to work well, eat well, rest well, and be well, so at our hotel you can stay connected with free high speed internet, start your day with our complimentary hot breakfast, work out in our fitness center, relax in a heated indoor pool, sleep soundly in luxury bedding, and enjoy flat screen televisions with newly added HD channels. Come and see how Fairfield has what you need to be at your best during your travels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Marriott, Orbitz, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Fairfield Inn Sandusky reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn Sandusky Hotel Sandusky
- Fairfield Sandusky
- Sandusky Fairfield Inn
- Fairfield Inn Sandusky Ohio