“Overpriced in my opinion” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Ohio
“Overpriced in my opinion”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

Visited Red Gables this evening for a take-out order. I will give them the benefit of their errors as this is Valentine's Day weekend. I was missing an appetizer. The salmon was good but the overall plate was quite a small amount of food for $22. House salad was generous. Bread was wonderful! No cutlery at all or napkins were given. Their website must have 12 or more desserts listed but only two were available this evening and not a single chocolate dessert. Is it me or does chocolate and Valentine's Day go together? Chef Jamie was very accommodating on the telephone upon taking my order but when I arrived to pick up my order it seemed the hostess had no clue of her job duties or how to perform them. Her standard answer for each of my questions as well as another customer behind me and the one on the phone was "I don't know. I'll have to ask." She appeared to be about 16 years old and with no experience. Not the best idea on such a busy restaurant weekend. Overall, we got a salmon dish, a house salad, bread, alfredo pasta with veggies, three orders of plan angel hair for the kids and a side of rice and carrots. The total was over $90. After reading the rave reviews, I simply expected better. I will not be returning nor recommending this restaurant to others. Overall quality was good, but the value was not. Sorry.

Huron Ohio
“Best "Go-to" restaurant for a guarenteed good meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

My family stumbled across this little restaurant a few months ago and we can't stop talking about it. Since we went we have been back several times, enjoying a different menu item each time. The food is fresh and perfectly cooked. The owner/chef has personally greeted us on several occasions to ensure our liking of the meal. Be sure to save room for dessert! They are amazing and made from scratch. My only warning is if you are sensative to spices or seasoning, be sure to ask for none or very little on your meat. Can't say enough good about this place. Highly recommend to everyone!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sandusky, Ohio
“Best steak I've ever eaten.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

I've eaten here several times, and the steaks have always been perfect. They are wonderfully seasoned, and incredibly tender. The grilled shrimp appetizer is also outstanding. If I had to eat in Sandusky, Red Gables would be my first choice. I'm fairly certain that the owner cooks all of the steaks, and it shows. The prices are high for Sandusky, but in terms of value, it's probably the best value in town.

The atmosphere is mediocre. And the crabcakes are nothing special. But it would be a mistake to pass through Sandusky without having a steak at Red Gables.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sandusky, OH
“This restaurant is great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

The chef's name is Jaime. He does an excellent job and always make sure he comes out and talks to you. We had the Monte Crisco. The steak was so tender! You will have to try it if you like seafood also.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto
“Best Kept Seafood Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Wow! They have spectacular seafood with a type of texture you can't get with any other grill. To top that, they actually use real mesquite to achieve the unique smoke flavor for each dish.

Our group left completely satisfied and enjoyed everything from the opening rosemary bread to the dessert.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere