“Above average food, below par service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Above average food, below par service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Oysters great. Salads great. Steaks really good, but slightly below my usual Capital Grille standard. Service not bad, but not great. Had to ask several times for drinks, butter, etc. No sense of urgency. Owner asked why pie for dessert had no ice cream. We said we we never offerred any, his expression did not change. I do not blame his staff based upon his reaction. However, Jack's Deli that was next door(same owner) had great subs and food quality, although the same slow and lackluster service.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cleveland, Ohio
“Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Our experience at Red Gables started out fine. The restaurant was quiet and cozy, and our waitress was very outgoing and knowledgeable about the menu. However, the food was awful. The scallops we had for our appetizer were overcooked. The salads were strangely spicy. For my main dish, I had grilled salmon, steamed broccoli, and a baked potato. The salmon was way overcooked. The broccoli was ok, but the dish was supposed to come with a variety of cooked vegetables, not broccoli. The baked potato was good. In total, we had 1 appetizer and 2 dinners (no drinks) and our bill was $85. For this price for two people, I would expect an exceptional dinner. This, however, was nowhere near that. I definitely won't be coming back.

• Visited January 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Sandusky, Ohio
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

This was one of the worst dining experiences we have ever had. We have a group of six that go out to dinner a lot. Someone suggested we try this because they heard good things about it. Well, what a BIG disappointment. We couldn't find one thing about this restaurant we liked. Don't waste your time or money.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sandusky, Ohio
“I have read great reviews, but have not been impressed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

It truly saddens me to write this about a local restaurant as I typically love smaller, chef-owned restaurants and tend to avoid chain restaurants.

I have been to this restaurant twice now. I have not been impressed either time. The first time I went with a group of 4 we waited 10 minutes to be seated (there were 4 other tables occupied in the whole place), waited 15 minutes for drinks. After 45 minutes and we still had not ordered we paid for our drinks and left.

I read so many good reviews about the food that I had to go back.

The second time was better, but our bill was almost $150 for 2 glasses of wine, 1 appetizer and 2 dinners. At these prices I expect almost perfection, and luckily service mas much quicker! I had filet oscar, which was a filet that was perfectly cooked and melt in your mouth tender, although it wasonly about 1/4 inch thick. The steak was topped by an oversized, heavy crabcake which was way to doughy, and a hollandaise sauce that was the consistency of pudding. Crabcakes are one of my favorites, I order them just about everywhere I go. This was the only crabcake I have ever left uneaten.

I may try this place again mostly because I love local food prepared by local chefs, it will probably be a while though.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

We were visiting the area and found this restaurant on-line. The reviews seemed to be great. Plugged the address in our GPS and off we went. The outside appearance is less than desirable and had we not read the reviews we probably wouldn't have ventured inside. The front door was a bit difficult to find. However, once inside we found a very quaint and warm dining room. The owner/chef greeted us, waited on us and prepared our meals. He also spent some time chatting with us. Our meals, petite filet with fresh crab cake and asparagus and fresh alaskan salmon was absolutely scrumptious! The salads are wonderful too! Opt for the celery dressing and you'll get a surprise!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere