“BED BUGS& Terrible staff and ownership!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #30 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
“BED BUGS& Terrible staff and ownership!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

After spending the day at Cedar Point we checked in after we left the park. It was around 1am. Check in was easy, but what came next was anything but easy.
There were not any available parking places so I had my husband just pull up next to the room while my mother and I went in to inspect it before bringing our things in. The room had a nasty sweet odor and I pulled the sheets off of the first bed which was clean. Then I did the same on the second, at the head of the bed on the box spring I found live BED BUGS! There were also multiple exoskeletons! I immediately notified the front desk that I was not staying. They refused to refund money and refused to give me a corporate phone number.
I contacted Choice Hotels after I returned home and they were very respectful and are sending me a refund check in the mail.
I have never been treated so badly as a paying customer in my life! I would sleep in my car before ever returning there!

• Stayed August 2012

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Richlands, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We reserved 2 nights at this hotel for Labor Day Weekend. I am a member of Choice Privileges which is why I choose this room because I had free nights available. Otherwise I am not sure if I would have booked this room. We just needed a place to sleep a few hours each night since we were going to Cedar Point, so really wasn't going to be spending much time in the room. The rooms are small but clean. The bathrooms are really outdated. Their was a window in the bathroom with no curtain, which I did not like. It was good for the price and location to Cedar Point. But would probably look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

You never know what you're going to get for $39.95 (+ txs) a night, but we were PLEASANTLY surprised! I mean what can you expect for a flat $45 out the door? Trust me, we were shocked (in a good way). We booked this room as a quick stop on our way to a weekend at Kelley's Island & Put-in-Bay, OH. Due to family issues we left PA too late to catch the last ferry and needed a place to crash until we could get the first ferry out in the morning to get to our ultimate destination. So we didn't want to spend a lot on a bed to sleep in (as we were already paying for a room on Kelley's Island that we couldn't get to that night).

We arrived very late (after midnight) after driving 6 hours, and were greeted by a nice gentleman who was more than chipper at that time of night. Our room key didn't work the first time around, but the office wasn't a far walk from our room, so it wasn't a big deal. The room was small but very clean. We were only staying one night, so as long as it was clean and we had a comfy bed, the size of the room didn't really matter. We had a king size bed (very comfy!), TV, small table and chairs, and an area for our suitcases. Pretty much all that you need, just a little cramped (wall to wall furniture).

The only reason I'm giving it a rating of 4 (and not a 5) is because the bathroom, while very clean, was very outdated. They tried to update it a little by replacing the tile on the floor and tub surround, but the sink was very old (rust stains down the back with the two X shaped knobs and very short faucet) as well as the tub needed to be replaced. They were probably the originals (not sure when the place opened, but I'd guess 1960-70s). They are making an effort in keeping the rooms very clean, but I think they need to just bite the bullet and replace at least the sink. My husband did take a look at it and said it was probably a bigger job than just switching out a sink and faucet (because it was so old). The other reason for a 4 rating, when we entered, the room had a musty smell at first, but it passed.

Again, we were just thrilled to stay at a place that was cheap and clean. We weren't expecting a $400 room for $45. But needless to say, if you're looking for a clean place to stay, and don't want to drop $100++ just to sleep, GO FOR IT at the Rodeway Inn South!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

When we arrived at this hotel we were just happy to find an available room some where!! We initially liked it because we had three double beds!! We called the front desk to inquire about staying when we come back but the young lady told us that they would need a credit card to hold the room and they would charge the card at 3am in the morning eventhough I told her I would hold it with the card but I wanted to pay with cash!! Every other hotel allows that!! We were used to staying in really nice hotels and even when we didn't they were cleaner then this one!! We left to go to Cedar point and we got back around 11:40pm!! To our surprise our door was open and someone had urinated in our tolilet!! We called the front desk to inform them and they sent the head housekeeper who witnessed the door not locking when closing it!! We closed it when we left but apparent something was wrong with the lock!! They were rude and lied!! Lisa (HH) never came back and said what do you think we should do!! Nicole was just rude and lied also about calling me!! We paid $139.00 for a terrible stay!! I would never recommend this hotel to anyone!! Another customer walked out and called the desk clerk a female dog!! It was just horrible!! They never offered to compensate us in anyway!! I still haven't heard from either of them!!

Room Tip: Don't stay there!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mammoth Cave, Kentucky, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We reserved a room at the hotel for 3 nights. After staying two nights my 4 children and I ended up in the emergency room. We were covered in red swollen bumps of which some had white or green puss. Gross I know. I tried to talk to the front desk and she would not even let me speak. The doctor stated that all 5 of us had contracted folliculitis within the last 2 days from a swimming pool or bed. The only pool and bed we were in was at the hotel. The doctor said that that would be the only place we would have contracted it from. The hotel denys all of this however I do have the medical records and pictures to prove this. I will be calling the health department on Monday along with an attorney. This is a bacterial infection that is very painful, burns, and itches horribly. It gets into the pores and hair follicles of your skin. I will never stay at any of the chains owned by this corporation. I will be recovering my losses. My oldest had a panic attack due to this because of itching and burning red bumps scared her so bad. It looks horrible. Do not stay at this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms recently remolded however are still nasty and contain unhealthy bacteria.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

I was looking for an inexpensive place to stay in the area while visiting a relative, and was surprised at how expensive everything was because of Cedar Point. I found this place on Trip Advisor, and learned that there was new management and some recent renovation. So, despite some earlier poor reviews, we gave it a shot. Now, this is a motel, plain and simple, but for the price, I have been very pleased. My nonsmoking room was spotless, the bed was comfortable, and the price was right. No frills, not even a coffee pot in the room, but if you are looking for clean, comfortable, and (relatively) cheap, this is the place.

• Stayed July 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I wrote a review about this hotel last year, so here's an update. I stated I wouldn't pay to stay here because my last stay was a free night redemption. However, again my kids were at Cedar Pt, I needed somewhere to relax and I didn't want to pay alot of money for a few hours. The rate was great around $55 and the rooms were actually renovated and its was suprisingly noticeable. It served its purpose for 1 day, staff was friendly, the room was clean and the bed was pretty comfortable. IF you are looking for a solid 3 1/2 to 4 star motel this is not the place for you, try a higher chain but if your looking for cheap and clean this is your stop.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Rodeway Inn South? Share your experiences!