“Set your expectations correctly....we recommend this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Sandcastle Suites
1 Cedar Point Dr., Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Penfield, New York
“Set your expectations correctly....we recommend this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

We are the average family (mom, dad and 2 boys(12 and 10) that needs to save for every vacation, plans carefully and sets our expectations at a reasonable level. When we planned our visit to Cedar Point, where to stay and how much each park resort costs was evaulated carefully. Sure, we read the prior reviews and thought that some of the complaints (ie..bugs and birds OUTSIDE being a nuisance...REALLY?) were just plain funny. Here is our experience...without the drama.
Arrival...flawless. You should show your reservation confirmation to the parking lot attendant and they just waive you thru without paying the $10 fee. We arrived at 1030am, our room wasn't ready (we knew to EXPECT that) but the desk gladly checked us in, gave us our park tickets and said that they would have our room ready by 4pm. Off we went to the park. The hotels proximity to the park is great. You can drive to the parking lot in about 60 seconds or you can walk it in about 5 minutes. It is not unreasonable as some prior reviews have stated. We did drive due to a foot injury and managed to be in the 1st or 2nd row each time. The entrance is right at Magnum XL, close to Top Thrill Dragster and also used to enter Soak City, the go-kart track and miniature golf. After about 4 hours in the park on the first day we went back and got our keys to the room without issue.
The room...located on the 1st floor of the Raptor wing overlooking the lake was clean (except for 2 spiders and 2 flys...oh well). Having the beds separate from the living area is nice to be able to escape, particularly if you need to have someone nap. The beds are comfortable (bring extra pillows). The AC worked so well that we had to turn it off at night becasue it got too cold. It has 2 queen beds, a small fridge, couch, 2 TVs and small table. We brought cold cuts, rolls, drinks, milk and cereal with us to limit how much we spent on food in the park. Breakfast alone saved us at leat $50 for the 3 days. The shower/bathroom was clean and functional. The balcony is screened in and not very big. It was sufficient for the 2 lawn chairs they provide. The breeze is nice and gives you a good place to put wet items overnight to dry.
The lobby...has coffee and hot water available 24/7. There is a small store that sells convenience items, drinks and necessities. It's a bit pricey but we EXPECTED that. It was nice to not have to travel off site to buy milk or soda. There are some couches, tables and chairs if you want to sit tnd have coffee, read or access the wi-fi.
The grounds...parking lot adequate, flowers and shrubs nice, grass cut and the walkways safe. The pool was open and has a lot of chairs surrounding it with some tables and umbrellas if you want to sit in the shade. It's open until 11pm for after park swims (if you're able to stay awake). There was quite a bit of sediment, dead bugs and stuff in the pool that needed to be cleaned but nothing terrible. Also, the bugs at night weren't too bad and left us alone while sitting around the poolside. There is also a small snack bar at the pool to buy drinks but EXPECT to pay a lot for it. The beach is accesible from the resort but does not have swimming available. You have to go up a little ways (walk) toward Breakers hotel for swimming.
Overall...It was not the cheapest or most expensive place and we got exactly what we EXPECTED. We had no complaints. We would definitely stay there again and recommend it. It's a resort at the amusement park with kids not the Four Seasons.
Extras...Early entry is a perk you get with staying at the resort. You do need to get to the park before 9 to get in line but it's a little less crowded to get on one or two rides before the regular folks arrive. Three days is sufficient to do the park COMPLETELY (we did 9 coasters, 3 rides, lunch, dinner and late night pool all on the day we arrived), visit Soak City, go off site for a little while and get a bit of relaxation time in. Avoid eating at the park if possible, it's very expensive as EXPECTED. We went to the TGIFriday's at Castaway Bay for dinner which was nice.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Rooms are small, but very clean. We had 2 adults and 4 teenagers and it was cramped but we spent no time in the room. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Pool was fine although it can use some maintenance work, the life guards were very attentive. No problem with seagulls. Beach was okay but the lake is really filthy. Ate at Breakwaters TGIF (Fridays) but it was not good. Exceptionally slow service, bad overpriced food but nice waiter. Overall, I would stay here again despite the price - convenience cannot be over-rated.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

The place was shabby, in need of basic maintenance and the front desk people were awful. We had just spent over $400 on their hotel and they wouldn't reimburse us the $10 parking fee we paid to drive through the parks parking lot to get to the hotel because we lost our receipt. Really? How did they we got there? Levitated? UGH. And it's certainly not the place with families with young kids. If your kid wakes up early or throws a tantrum, expect calls AND a knock on the door from management to keep it down! THat was the last penny they will ever see from this family.

Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

Our family of teen age boys stayed in a TINY sandcastle suite room. For 240.00 a night you get a small room overlooking the parking lot without even a clock in the room. The decor was fair and the room clean. VERY basic no frills. Front desk was not friendly. They messed up on my tickets, gave me the wrong information and it took her a long time to fix her mistakes. We checked out of the cabin early in the morning and attempted to check in to Sandcastle between 230 and 3pm. She said our room wasn't ready (our second time to check) We waited while other guests came and checked in and received their keys. Since all the rooms are the same I could not figure out why "ours" was not ready. We had already been resort guests since the day before. After watching several people checking in for 30 minutes I asked why we could not be checked in too, She rudely told mei its just chance when as to our room would be ready. I asked 'would you please just give us any room' and she promptly handed me a key with a look of stone.(I believe her name was Beth) The young man was equally as unfriendly.We stayed on the property the night before in one of the cabins next to the Sandcastle Suites and she called their check-in building "a shack". Obviously she had not looked in the sandcastle suite rooms recently. The lobby is beautiful which gives false expectations as to what the rooms will look like, The grounds are very nice. The landscape is beautiful. The pool was drained the whole time we were there and we were not able to use it. (although we took the shuttle to one of the other properties in the resort but by the time we waited for the shuttle and reached the other pool there was only 30 minutes left to swim. The only plus was the convenience of the short walk to the amusement park entrance and early park entry for the rides(one hour) I have given many trip advisor reviews and it took several short comings for me to not recommend the Sand Castle Suites. (We stayed here in 2002 and our experience was much better.)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Pinehurst, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

My family and I just got back home today from a 4 night stay at the Sandcastle Suites. I have to admit I agree with the other three reviews that were posted in July. First, the rooms were clean. For the amount of money you pay to stay at the sand castle it should be clean. Apparently all rooms were updated 2 years ago and you can tell. Mattresses were very clean (although not extremely comfortable.. a little hard for me), the bathroom counter and tub were spotless too.. so no complaints there. Housekeeping did a good job and I was pleased there too. The layout of the suite wasn't huge but it was enough for a family of four to spread out after a day in the park. The built in shelves were a huge space saver.
My only complaint about the room was it was HOT! I thought the AC had just been turned in when we got there so I didn't complain at first but it was because the curtains had been opened all day and it was over 90 degrees outside. I complained the next morning and they sent maintenance to the room while we were at the park to fix the AC. Apparently it was working fine, but it sure didn't feel like it. My husband I think the reason the bedroom was a little cooler than the living room was because there was a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Maybe the sandcastle hotel could put a ceiling fan in the living room. The one thing that really got me though was that not one hallway had AC. So if you got your room comfortable temperature wise and you had to leave, you had to exit it quickly not to let your cooler air out. LOL I also found this to be true at Hotel Breakers.. there was no AC in the hallways over there either. Strange to me. When it's 90 plus degrees outside the hallways in the hotels feel like a sauna.

I agree the cafe near Sandcastle suites was not good, but TGI Fridays was about a 10 minute walk at Hotel Breakers and to me it wasn't bad. I never took the shuttle and never found the walk too bad. I liked walking down the sidewalk by Lake Erie :)

If I had to do this trip again I would stay at the Sandcastle Suites, even though it was warm in the room. (it did cool off in the evening enough to sleep) The rooms were "clean" and the layout of the room was great for a family of four. I personally do not like a normal hotel room for a family of four with teens. We need to spread out. I just loved the convenience of not having to drive during my stay. I just think those of us who stayed the week of July 4th got the pleasure of 95 degree weather, which this resort can not handle.

The only recommendation I have is to stay at this hotel when it's not going to be so hot outside. I think if outside temperatures were less than 80 degrees you'd be very happy. Oops, I almost forgot. The front desk weren't rude, but let's just say they weren't thrilled to be helping you either.

Dundee, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

The best part of this hotel was the location - beautiful setting on Lake Erie. It was also a close walk to Cedar Point. But the price did not match the hotel. The construction must be extremely poor - you could hear every little noise from the rooms above you and around you. The room was not very big for being a suite and poorly decorated - and no continental breakfast. Although there was a little restaurant next door for $11.90 a person - what a deal, HA! We would definitely not recommend this hotel. For $300 a night, we should have had five star stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Brookfield, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

The only good thing about our stay here was, oh sorry, can't think of one. Front desk staff not friendly nor helpful. Housekeeping staff a little friendlier however they would just smile because they didn't speak english. But at least you get a smile. If you choose to stay here don't go when it's 90 degrees because the a/c has to be on full blast the entire time to be somewhat comfortable and the curtains need to be closed the entire time. Hallways no a/c at all. The ice machines on floors 1,2, and 3 out of ice. No where to get ice. Never came across that before. Breakwater Cafe across the parking lot is the only place to eat near the resort. Open for Breakfast and Dinner. You want lunch, oh well hop a shuttle after you wait at least 20 min and go eat by at least one of the three restaurant choices at the Breakers. That is the happening place if you want to stay on Cedar Point property. No beach at Sand Castle Suites. It's off limits. A little deceiving don't you think? It's to nasty. Again, hop a shuttle and go to Breakers, you can use the beach there. No park for little ones, no volleyball nets for the bigger kids. No washer or dryer, not even room service if you wanted it. Guess where we had to go to do a little laundry? That's right the Breakers. Even the camp ground on the property had washing facilities. They have no amenities. We did have a pleasant server at the cafe for dinner one night and the food was pretty good.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sandcastle Suites? Share your experiences!