“Not So Great” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Buffalo, New York
“Not So Great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

I expected good things after they had a renovation this year but if this was the result after they totally redid the hotel I can only imagine what it was like before. It was very basic and hardly worth the price I paid.I plan on going to the cabins next year or the Hotel breakers(newer section only). I am picky and do expect certain things that others do not, but I don't think I am too far off the mark in wanting a larger suite, cleaner looking in the hallways(is it so difficult to clean the bugs and spiders that are everywhere)bathrooms are small and the terrace is a bit of a joke.

The Positives are beds where comfortable,the T.V.'s were nice and the fridge was more of a freezer so it kept or frozen treats frozen.I liked that they had some vending machines and ice maker right outside of our room and the pool was nice.

• Liked — beds
  • Disliked — rooms
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

We recently stayed at the Sandcastle Suites and on a recommendation from a review on this site requested a suite in the gemini wing. My partner and I took 2 seven year olds and 1 five year old to Cedar Point/Soak City for two days. I will echo some of the other reviewers please remember that you are allegedly going for the parks and not the resort. Our room was smaller than I imagined but it was sufficiently clean and well maintained upon our arrival. Housekeeping was just okay. The sheets on the pull out sofa bed were not changed daily, the toilet paper wasnt refreshed when we ran low, and I noticed a ring in the tub that we didnt put there. Otherwise we were pleased with our stay. The shuttles to the park are awesome and run fairly regularly. We had about a 20 minute wait during the very busy dinner periods, but generally we got back and forth with very little problem. Word of advice to other travelers it is expensive to eat on the resort property. Breakfast for all 5 of us was about $47.00 in the cafe next to the hotel and for dinner we visited the TGI Fridays at Breakers and Famous Daves BBQ. Both times we spent close to $80.00. I would have killed for a McDonalds close by. I know this is a review about the hotel but I must say that Cedar Point ROCKS!!!!!!! Soak City was the most fun our kids have had EVER had. being barely 48" tall and one who is less than 46" they were limited in Cedar Point. Camp Snoopy and the baby rides didnt do much for them, but soak city was all day fun for them and me!! Overall we had a fabulous time at SandCastle and will certainly return soon!!!

• Liked — proximity to the amusement park
  • Disliked — housekeeping wasnt the best and food choices were expensive
Mishawaka, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

We stayed at the Sandcastle Suites for two nights. The check-in was easy and the girl at the desk was very friendly and helpful. We were able to purchase our discount tickets there.
When we got to the room, we were a little disappointed to see that the "suite" was really a large room with a thin wall dividing a living room and a bedroom. It was larger than a standard hotel room, however, suite is an overstatement. We saw the virtual tour on the website (which is no longer viewable) and thought it would be much larger.
The bathroom was divided so toilet and shower were separate from the vanity, which was nice, but the shower area is VERY small.
There were two pocket doors in the vanity area, one of which we could never get to close properly. I don't think they were on any tracks.
Privacy was an issue, as the doors wouldn't close.
The television sets were nice and the decor was good.
When you opened the hide away bed, you could barely get past it.
We had a nice little mini fridge and microwave.
The linens were clean and we had lots of towels. (although the sheets were not fitted and weren't really large enough to be tucked in)
We had a nice view of the tennis court area and the gazebo.
We were glad to have such a perfect location and easy access to the park, but it was VERY expensive for two nights. I really don't know if it was worth the extra cost just for the privelidge of being within walking distance of the park.
Not sure if we will do it again next year, but we might. Who knows?

• Liked — The short distance to the park
  • Disliked — The cost
St. Clair Shores, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

The hotel was completely remodeled. The rooms that do not have built in cabinets are the best way to go. The built in cabinets looked too much like what you would see in a college dorm room, even though expensive wood was used to build them.

The view of Lake Erie was beautiful. You step into this resort, and it almost feels like you are at a plush ocean view type resort. I was very impressed. I would stay again and again, but, not in a room with cabinets!

The pool was great. It was like bath water. I love this hotel.

• Disliked — the remodeled hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

We've been going to Cedar Point every year for 10+ years and we stay at the park hotels. My expectations (in no particular order) are 1. this is hotel attached to a theme park & 2. location, location, location 3. clean place to sleep 4. family oriented.

This year we stayed at Sandcastle Suites, booking 2 packages - 4 nights. The cost per night avg @300 US. We booked this reservation online 2 months prior but received NO confirmation via either email US mail. This lack of communication prompted my spouse to contact the hotel to make sure the online reservation was processed. On the 1st and 2nd call, the operator hung up claiming they could not hear, I suppose it was coincidence that it was close to their quitting time. The next day he had them send an email confirmation, which when opened also did not contain the particulars of our stay (room type, cost, package etc) , only the check in & out dates. I'm not saying this is a deal breaker but at $300 bucks a night, a little detail would be helpful.

I figured we'll sort it out on arrival but even then the staff seemed unaware we had 2 packages even though we were charged for it. The desk staff was very reluctant to give us the 2nd package/book. A manager had to be called & it took a painfully long time for them to do the math. Although everyone was pleasant our check in took @ 25-30 minutes. I wasn't thrilled, I had kids waiting. btw I was suprised the hotel charged our credit card for the entire stay on check in. Those charges usually don't hit the card until checkout. I'm only mentioning this because it seemed off to me.

Anyhow, the painful part is over > The ROOM. The suite was clean & updated with fresh carpet, new curtains, new blankets, remodeled bath, comfy sleeper sofa, (yes comfy - ask my daughter), new mattresses, pillows & 2 flat screen TV's. Tastefully done with a nautical theme. It was very cute & clean. DH thinks I'm nuts but I swear the room is smaller. Maybe it's an optical illusion because the window between rooms is now cabinetry, but the room does seem more compact.

The PACKAGE. The package is the way to go if you have at least 4 in your party or plan to go to either the park or soak city twice. You get some free park & challenge park tickets, 10% off food throughout the park. & $30 in munch money.

The RESTAURANTS. Game Day Grille: Great family atmosphere, good selection, mid park & the prices are reasonable.

Breakwater Cafe: Not to be snarky but we went through the munch money quickly at the Breakwater Cafe for breakfast. I expect breakfast to be included when the room cost hits a certain price not to have to kick in another $12 per person for a breakfast buffet. <rant over> The food is good albeit expensive for the selection.

Dave's: Not to be missed, this is a must restaurant on the pier. Get your hand stamped for re-entry & walk across the street for not only a great water view but wonderful AC, BBQ & cold tea or beer. We've had a wonderful experience every visit with friendly servers & really good food. Prices are average for a franchise, but you could run up $100+ pretty quick here.

The Hoagie Stand near disaster transport: Avoid. Their definition of an italian hoagie is rectangular mystery meat grilled in some yellow goo, with veggies & melted cheese grilled in the same yellow goo. The mystery meat did the best it could to hold on to the bun but sadly it slid onto the paper as I tossed it uneaten into the trash bin. In 2 words *shudder*blech*

BTW> booze at sandcastle ... brace yourself. $9 for 1 margarita.
And most of it was ice :(

Likes: The hotel, the park, soak city. It's a fun park & it's a safe atmosphere. Go on go, you'll have fun.

Dislikes: Send out a confirmation for hotel reservations! Put up some lights on the walkway from Sandcastle to Hotel Breakers at night. It's seriously dark to the point you cannot see in front of you. I beg of you > Hose off the bugs off the building before the guests wake up *please*

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
P|A
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

This was by far one of the best hotels I have stayed at. The short walk or shuttle ride to the park was great. The pool and hot tub were great. Excellent view and friendly, helpful staff. We went to pick up our tickets for early entry to the park at 8 am and were able to check-in , The hotel was very clean.

• Liked — convenience to park
  • Disliked — a little expensive
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

We took a chance on Sandcastle Suites after hearing the rooms were completely renovated for 2008. The reviews we had read from before renovation were terrible but we had a great experience. We checked in on a Wednesday. The parking was nearly empty. Upon check in I made a comment about how slow things looked and the clerk agreed. Joking around I said well if it is this slow you could always give me an upgrade to a room with a view (we had booked the basic suite). She did, free of charge. Our room was nice. New carpet, furniture, wallpaper and smelled brand new. Nice view of lake from screened in porch. Short walk to park or shuttle available. We could not be guarenteed the new rooms at the Breakers and went with Sandcastle Suites. I will stay here again!

• Liked — Proximity to Cedar Point. renovations
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sandcastle Suites? Share your experiences!