“I've had better!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Warren, Ohio
“I've had better!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Let me first say, the girl that checked us in was very friendly and informative and we did like the fresh coffee they had 24-7 in their lobby/tv area:) Anything after that all went downhill.........
We spent two nights, first night was ok. Second night was ridiculous!! Room full of girls across the hall set of the smoke alarm in the hallway...we tried calling front desk several times and no one would answer, my granddaughter saw a fire truck pull up outside and she was freaking out, we were getting ready to grab our stuff and leave the building when security finally answered the phone and said they're wasn't any fire. But it took them another half hour to send someone up to turn off alarm!! Needless to say didn't get much sleep......then they sent me an email asking how my stay was and I told them about everything!!! Never heard one word back from them!! Not even an I'm sorry!!! We will not be returning to this motel!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Tyler A, Manager at Sandcastle Suites, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
I apologize for the inconvenience experienced during your stay. We appreciate hearing from our guests. In the interest of guest safety, all alarms have to be fully investigated and I apologize that this process was extended. Thank you for letting us know.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Plymouth, Michigan, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The customer ahead of me in line was complaining about the cleanliness of her room. That was my first clue. The room was horrible -- air conditioner did not work. Had workmen in the room within the first hour to take a look at it. After workmen came to "fix" air conditioner, it still did not work. NO venting to bedroom or bathroom whatsoever. Smell was a mixture of stale air and terrible-smelling disinfectant in the room. Corners filled with either cobwebs or mold. Dirt, dust, and hairs on telephone. Bed was saggy, wobbly, and smelly. To top it off, staff at front desk were very uninformed and indifferent. Air conditioner man was more knowledgeable and friendly in answering our questions than the very disinterested front desk staff. We ended up moving to a different hotel for our second night's stay in the area.

Room Tip: Just say no and go to another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I apologize that your experience was less than satisfactory. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about these issues as we will work to improve our operations.
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We just got back from a 5 day stay in Cedar Point & had a great time! Not only was the park a thrill, but the room we came back to at Sandcastle Suites was wonderful too! We slept like babies in cool, clean & comfortable beds & awoke to a hot pot of coffee waiting for us each morning. It may not have many options on site for dinner, but it did have a refreshing pool + it was a short trek down the road for some tasty wings at the Thirsty Pony (where we also enjoyed our time playing Keno) or a celebration meal at Bay Harbor (recommended!!). Famous Daves was also a short trek away, although we didn't eat there (some in our party were not fans of BBQ).

Room Tip: The Lake view rooms are both quiet & scenic.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We're glad you enjoyed your experience at Sandcastle Suites. Thank you for your business.
East Amherst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We just visited Cedar Point Aug 20-23rd. I took my sixteen year old son and his friend. We stayed at Sandcastle Suites and I could not have been happier. The location is perfect for the boys to get up each morning and head over to the park for early entry. When they tired, they came back to change and head out again for Soak City. Came back early evening and changed to head back to the park. The room was very clean, beautiful landscaping, the pool and spa were very well maintained (which is where I hung out)! When staying there, you can go to other pools, and I did walk down to Hotel Breakers, but was so happy that I chose Sandcastle..quieter, cleaner, just a great experience! We are looking forward to coming back for Halloweekend in October. The staff was excellent..extremely friendly and helpful..

Room Tip: I stayed on third floor/lakeview...highly recommend! beautiful view of sunrise each morning over la...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tyler A, Manager at Sandcastle Suites, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for all of the great feedback. We are glad to hear everybody had a good time.
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The room can technically sleep 6 people, 2 on each bed and two on pullout sleeper sofa. However, there is little room for 6 people to lounge in the sofa room, nor can more than 2 sit out on porch at a time. The bedroom and room with couch were smaller than I expected. The reason they say no rollaway bed is available is that there is no room for one when the bed in sofa is pulled out. With all that said, the room was perfect for my two adult chldren & me ie, comfortable for three persons and even that felt crowded at times. The pool was perfect. The location of the hotel suited us as it is more quiet than the hotel breakers is, where we went to dinner at TGI Fridays and walked by on way to Cedar Point. It's a 10 minute walk to the park, which is fine in the morning but we were exhausted after a day at the park and the walk home in the evening seemed more like 10 miles.
After the first few hours at the pool the first day, we extended our stay an extra night. My only complaint was that the front desk asked me to stop down promptly to pay for the extra night, but they failed to fix our room key to let us have entry to our room the next day so that when we returned from the park the next evening, none of our room keys worked so another trip to the front desk was necessary at a time we were not pleased with the extra effort required. This was my only complaint and otherwise hotel was perfect and we plan to do this again next year.

Room Tip: i was glad we paid extra $20 for lake/pool view, were on 3rd floor in corner, no complaints
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your business and you taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. Your comments will be shared with all of our staff.
Windsor, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Rooms were far from suites, not clean, very crowded for 6 people, however, we could have dealt with that had the staff be more helpful. We requested a taxi, and the front desk told us they could provide a phone number for us, but, they were not allowed to call one for us???? What is up with that??? So we took the telephone number and called and the number was out of service, we were told that there was nothing else they could do. We ended up taking the shuttle to Breakers (where we normally stay, but, they were booked) and they proceeded to call a taxi for us. Call me crazy, but does this make any sense? Like I said , never again! One more thing, the restaurant staff were not helpful at all, didn't know the menu or the wines, and barely the English language. Disappointing to say the least.

Room Tip: Go to Breakers instead, or the cottages.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tyler A, Manager at Sandcastle Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. I apologize for the disappointment. Your comments will be reviewed by our management team and our front line staff so they can understand the impact their service has on our guest. Thank you for your business.
Blasdell, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was the first time we visited Cedar Point in 25 years. We had a very enjoyable stay at Sandcastle Suites. The staff was very friendly and the minor problem we had with a light was fixed within 2 hours. The kids loved the pool and hot tub. The lifeguards are very attentive to everyone in the pool. Impressed they provide life jackets for children under 48" tall. Housekeeping staff did an excellent job keeping the suite clean and properly supplied with amenities. Enjoyed the screened in balcony as I could sit on balcony and watch my children in the pool. I would recommend the Sandcastle for anyone staying on the grounds at Cedar Point. Looking forward to returning again for a vacation

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We appreciate your positive comments. Thank you for coming back to Cedar Point after 25 years and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Been to Sandcastle Suites? Share your experiences!