“OK for a park” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 34 hotels in Sandusky
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“OK for a park”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed here in October for Hallowweekends. We have stayed off site and at Breakers and since my daughter brought 3 friends we needed a bigger room. The price is a bit high, but it is on-site and I expected it to be high. The room was OK with 2 queen beds, but the sofa bed was terrible. I ended up grabbing a couple more pillows and crashing on the floor. We are planning on going back in June and booked another room for us and some friends.

Room Tip: If you are an adult and want a good night sleep, use the bed and not the sofa pull-out.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

279 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Troy, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed at Sandcastle Suites the summer of 2012. I meant to write the review then, but never got around to it. Stay away! The room, especially the bathroom, was filthy. The "suite" was also far too cramped for the two adults and 4 children we had, My kids would not even go in the pool. When I contacted the hotel to complain, I received a coupon to be used on my next visit which, of course, I will not be using. We have also stayed at the Hotel Breakers. My advice based on the two stays-the one hour early entrance into the park is not worth the poor quality of the hotels and the price. Stay at the Hampton ten minutes away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Van Wert, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My family and I have been going to Cedar Point for as many years as I can remember and have only been staying at the resorts for the past couple years. The previous year we had stayed at Sandcastle Suites and had enjoyed our stay so much we booked it again the following summer.

We arrived shortly after 8 in the morning and at check in we were greeted by a young gentleman and lady behind the desk. After we had paid for the remainder of our room and got the tickets we were informed that our room was not quite ready but were given the option of receiving a text when it was, which we did. Since we had almost an hour before early entry started we walked around the grounds of the resort taking in some of the sights we hadn't seen the year before. When it was close to time for early entry we went back to the lobby to call for the shuttle.

About 11am when we were heading to Friday's at the Breakers for lunch we received a text that our room was ready. After heading out the gate we headed to the nearest call box and called for the shuttle. From there we headed back to Sandcastle to get our stuff in the room. When we arrived at the hotel we were again greeted by the young gentleman and lady that we had seen a few hours before. After we had been given the room number and gotten the room keys we were given a map of the resort and given directions on how to find our room. While we were trying to find our room, we misinterpreted the directions on how to get to the breezeway to get to our room. We did pass a very polite lady and asked her for directions which she did, unfortunately we got turned around and again had trouble finding our room. We ended up going back to the lobby and the lady we had seen previously again gave us directions letting us know that if we were still having trouble she'd take us to the room. I've seen people complain about the staff not being courteous but every time we've stayed there they have always bent over backwards to make us happy and this time was no exception.

Once we located our room and got our bags inside,we found the room to very clean. I've seen some reviewers complain about dirty sheets and hair on floor but there was nothing like that in our room. The room, we also found to be very spacious for a group of 4 adults. The mattresses are firm and do take some getting used to if you don't sleep on one at home. Also, the pillows are thin so you may want to pack some spares if you like more cushion. There are a couple of pillows in the linen closet and housekeeping would most likely send some up if requested but my family and I had seen in reviews before our first stay about thin pillows and opted to pack travel pillows so we haven't taken advantage. The room does come equipped with air condition in the living room with a vent that blows it into the bedroom along with a ceiling fan for added air if you need it. Most of the people in our party took advantage of the screened in balcony and found it to be not only spacious but relaxing. We enjoyed sitting out there looking out at the lake after a day in the park. The bathroom, some reviewers have found to be small, we found to be of decent size and very easy to maneuver around in. We also, not only had enough towels but there were a few more on a rack above the sink.

Another perk my family and I enjoyed was the shuttle service. I've seen where people have complained that they had to wait a long time for the shuttle which puzzles me. Every time we called the shuttle service we didn't have to wait longer than a few minutes. The drivers were also quite friendly and even with a full bus made sure everyone was comfortable and was enjoying themselves. On one of our trips we did notice there were tip jars for the drivers and once we noticed we left a little something each time.

All in all, in the 2 years my family and I have stayed at Sandcastle Suites we have enjoyed ourselves and found it to be a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Van Wert
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My family has gone to CP every year for as long as I can remember, except 2002 (when Wicked Twister opened), which we went to the then-Paramount ran King's Island. For many years, we only went one day, driving up from Van Wert, but a few years ago, we started booking a hotel 2 days ride & slide package. The hotel we stay at is Sandcastle Suites.

I know alot of reviewers complain and moan, but SS is a very good hotel. No, it's not the Ritz or the Four Seasons, but in the same time, it's a 4-6 person suite close to the park. The location and amenities are something to look at when considering where to stay.

This year, we had a small problem finding our room. We had to go onto the elevator and use the breezeway (which at first I didn't know what that meant, honestly). Atleast 4 employees kindly told us how to find the room, and the only mistake was my miscomprehension of what they were saying, to the point where the gentleman at the desk drew it out on the map. Attacked are my hotel-related photos from this year.

We will be staying there this year, and years to come and I will always recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Detroit, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is not good but I hate to say we will stay here again next year when we travel with our niece, nephew and sister. We checked a lot of hotels for pricing for 5 people and the two bedroom suite is the best value even though grossly overpriced. My husband and I would never stay here if it was just us two. We went to soak city the first day which is about a 5 minute walk to the hotel. The second day we went to cedar point which is about a 10 minute walk. We arrived at the closest entrance for the hour early entry and there was a long line to enter so you need to arrive to the entrance even earlier to really maximize your time as it is amazing. The hour early entry is like a free for all with hardly anyone there. The hotel it self is not very clean but we never found anything disgusting in our room that would stop us from coming back next year. The beds are hard and linens are cheap but it was perfect for us to have the kids on the sleeper sofa and the adults in the bedroom.

• Stayed July 2012
Amherstburg, Ont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for hallow weekend. Will not be staying here again. The rooms need some serious upgrading. Just dirty all through. I should have known it was going to be bad when using the restroom in the lobby at check in and it looked as if it hadn't been cleaned all day. The worst part of our stay was the amount of noise that came through the walls. It sounded as if you had adjoining rooms with the doors open. The foot traffic coming from above was no better. I give it one star only for it's proximity to Cedar Point and the extra hour you get in the park. Other than that, I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Our family will never stay here again. The bathroom was so dirty, it was disgusting. Clumbs of hair all over the floor. I started to clean the mess up myself with some wipe, and the wipes were black. I called the front desk and asked that someone come in and clean the bathroom, which they did, but there was still hair and dirt behind the bathroom door. The shower and shower curtin were covered in mildew, I couldn't even get myself to let my kids take a bath. Our friends also stayed there the same night, and found a pair of men's pants in their bed...ewww! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a nice, clean place to stay, as this one is far from it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sandcastle Suites? Share your experiences!