“Halloweekends 2012 Visit” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Brook Park, Ohio
“Halloweekends 2012 Visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

After reading reviews about this hotel we were alittle nervous about booking but we took a chance, and were glad we did, we had no problems with the hotel, room maybe small but your only there to sleep. Checkin at 3:00 was a piece of cake no wait, walk to Cedar Point was about 5 minutes. We booked a non lake view however, we could see the beach and had a great view of the roller coasters. If your looking for a luxury resort this is not it, however a nice hotel. We would stay here again for our next trip to Cedar Point!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

When they put 'suites' in the title or refer to it as a 'resort', you expect a certain level of quality. Toss in the room price, and you definitely expect more than just a basic room for your cash. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Check-in was available much earlier than expected. The issue is that the building is older and the rooms don't seem to have been updated. We stayed in a '2 room suite'. This was basically two very narrow rooms connected with an accordion door. Once you folded out the couch, you could not walk around it without having to climb over it. The nice thing was that there was access to the one bathroom from either 'room'. The mattress on the fold-out couch was very, very thin. The mattresses on the two beds were not much better. The pillows are very thin... almost like airline pillows. The linens were very low quality and the towels were thin and scratchy. Oh, and they only had 'Lake View" rooms available for a higher price when we booked. A look out the windows of our first floor room and you had a view of the swimming pool, flowerbeds, and if you leaned out and looked waaaaaay to the right, you caught as glimpse of the sand and a bit of Lake Erie. Again, for a place to stay very near the park, the hotel is great. For the money, I would look into some name brand hotels a bit further from the park. There is not even a free continental breakfast, or preferred parking at Cedar Point, or any other perk you might expect for staying in an on-site 'resort'.

Stoutsville, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We actually just got back from the Sandcastle Suites yesterday, and let me say I was kind of hesitant considering we stayed at the Castaway Bays in July and brought bed bugs home, but I was pleasantly surprised.
The rooms are kind of small for 6 people but we made it work. The beds were great even the sofa bed. From being there in July we knew the food inside the park was terrible so we brought our own food, and had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the room.
The fridges need to be a little bigger for families on a budget needing to bring food and drinks but they served their purpose.
The only thing I was disappointed about was there was a wedding and we could never get into the restaurant beside the hotel. I understand they need their privacy too but I fell we pay to be that close to a restaurant we should have some access to it.
The hot tub was great after the second day of walking around Cedar Point. and all the employees in the gift shop and front office was soooo nice, a different tune from the Castaway Bay employees.
Overall it was a great vacation. I will return to this hotel for not only the cleanliness but the access to Cedar Point, it is a pleasant five min walk to the park and if you are willing to wait the shuttles make it nice to ride back after a long day riding rides.
Would recommend this hotel. Thank You Sandcastle for helping my family have a great time after our horrible experience at Castaway Bays.

Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Great to be close to the Park (5 - 7 min walk) and with the Suite, you get an extra room with a pull-out couch, small table/chairs and microwave & fridge. Allowed us to eat some meals in our room and enter the park an hour early each day. You pay a bit extra to stay on site but well worth it to be so close. Rooms were clean and staff were friendly. Pool and hot tub was busy and clean. Beach was quiet but close for those who wanted to use it. We would definitely stay here again and try to spend a day just at the pool and beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ohio City, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were hesitant to stay here because of the reviews. We should of listened! When we arrived we were relieved to see a clean and nice lobby while checking in. But that was the only nice part of the hotel. Once we were sent on our way to our room we came across over flowing garbage in the hallways, and trash on the floors. Our room was clean but dated. The beds were somewhat hard but we felt it wasn't a big deal for an overnight stay. The balcony was screened but full of bugs so we had no intention of using that. I did bring it to the person at the front desk but was referred to the manager who was not in yet. I've stayed in low budget hotels in better shape than this. The complimentary coffee was a joke as well.
Head my warning, SAVE YOUR MONEY AND STAY ELSEWHERE!
Cedar Fair should be ashamed! For $250.00 per night I would expect a lot more.

Room Tip: Save an extra $100.00 and stay at one of the smaller hotels
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Ok, the price you pay for the place, really isn't worth it. It's like $200 something per night, depending on when you go. But its all about where it is. It took me like 5 minutes to walk to the park. You got early entry. Free parking. And if your smart, you would bring a cooler with you and throw some food in your dorm sized mini fridge. Now, the hotel is what I would compare to a 2 to 2 1/2 star hotel/motel. Somehow I got lakeview and paid for non-lakeview, we had 6 adults in there (one brought their own blow up mattress), and I brought a sleeping bag to put down on the pull out couch (which I didn't pull out) becuase I heard so many bad reviews on here about how hard it was. It didn't bother me, I was so tired from walking the park all day I got in and crashed. But I still would recommend the place, and even go back again, just because of its location, and I really didn't have any problems with the place. If I only had 2 people, no...I'd stay somewhere cheap off the resort because having a huge room would be a bad value then.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Tarentum, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've stayed at Sandcastle Suites 4 times, with a total of 19 roomnights, in both Lakeview and non Lakeview rooms. The non-lakeview rooms should actually be called "partial" lakeview rooms, as most do have a view. The suites are a bit smaller than one woult expect- the main door opens into the living room, and there is a glass sliding door oposit the main door, which leads to the small balcony. Bugs can get bad up there, especially late May/early June, during the mayfly invasion, but the balconys are screened in, so they don't cause much of a problem. One thing I dislike about the balacony is that the air conditioner exhausts onto the balcony, so if it is hot outside, this makes it even hotter, however, on a cooler night, it feels good. The bedrooms are decent size, and the bathroom is nice, the toilet and shower are separted from the sink by a door, which makes it nice when 2 people are trying to get ready in the morning. Yes, occasionally you might see a spider, I've had that happen once, but it was not a deal breakers. Beds are comfortable, and the 2 flat screen TV's are nice to have. I am not a coffee drinker, so I can't rate the coffee they provide, but it is also nice to have the fridge and microwave. The pool area is nice, as it looks out at the lake, but the beach at that end is not swimable, as there is a breakwater right there, and the water can become quite stagnant. There are also tennis courts, which I have never used. The Breakwater Cafe, located in the same parking lot, needs to get some attention. This July, we ate there for the first time in 4 years, I ordered a burger, and for $10, you get the same burger that they serve at the quick service locations in the park, not a very good burger. The view is amazing, but the menu only so/so. never had their breakfast buffet. There is a small gift shop in the lobby- and if you're a smoker, make sure that you buy yours before getting onto the Cedar Point peninsula, as they are twice the cost there. You are within walking distance to the camper-village store, which has carry out beer and wine coolers, if that is your thing. For a small family, or even 2 couples, this is a decent place.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the hallway entrance so that you can't hear the ice machines. I also a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sandcastle Suites? Share your experiences!