“Stay at breakers....” 2 of 5 stars

1 Cedar Point Dr., Sandusky, OH 44870   |
Ranked #14 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
“Stay at breakers....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011 via mobile

We just returned home from our weekend at cedar point. We booked a package at the sandcastle suites and were excited to be "close" to the action. Upon arrival we were checked in by a young man who knew nothing about the hotel, restaurants, or park information. We found our room to be small like the other reviews described but my main problem was the cleanliness. It was may fly season, and there were flies all over our room! Flies in the curtains, on the floor, and the countertops. The flies literally covered the outside of the building! I know may flies can be pesky but never in the 3 days that we were there did we see anyone even attempting to clean them up! There was also lots of seagull poop on the sidewalks that was never cleaned. Took about 10 minutes to walk to the park gate which wasn't a huge deal but also not close enough to run back to your room if you forgot something. On our last night of the trip we ate at the breakers hotel, oddly enough they had no problem with flies or poop on the outside of their buildings even though they too sit right on a beach. Breakers was much cleaner and nicer then the sandcastle suites and was much more conveniently located. For my money, next time it will be spent at breakers!!

• Stayed June 2011

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

We have stayed at Cedar Point resorts on several occasions. Usually at Breakers Express or Castaway Bay. This time, we didn't really have extra time to use the facilities at Castaway Bay and we decided to stay "on site" so that we could walk to the park. I was torn between a room at Hotel Breakers or a "suite" at Sandcastle. I chose Sandcastle for about the same price and boy was that a mistake. I could have got a better room at Castaway Bay for the same price and waterpark passes included!. Could have stayed at Breakers Express for nearly half as much.

The call the room a "suite" and that is a misnomer. The only reason it can be considered a Suite is that it has a dividing wall and 2 TVs. It was just slightly larger than a regular sized hotel room with a wall in the middle of it!. If the fold out couch bed was open, it nearly touched the TV stand so there was no room to move. The main bedroom was also very small. As for the bathroom, the sink area was seperate with very little counter space and no shelves above or below. The toilet/tub area was so small that you had to stand between the tub and toilet in order to shut the door!. The bathtub/shower was also very small. (they may have done a new tub overlay on top of the old one and that made it smaller, but either way, very little space if you wanted to take a bath.). There was no fan in the bath area so naturaly steam built up.

The room had a closet but the closet was in the "living room" area and not the bedroom area. So anything you wanted from the closet, had to be gotten from the living room and not the bedroom. A small table and two chairs along with the sofa and 2 beds made up the entire furniture of the "suite" (along with a mini fridge and microwave.) There was a TV in each room but they only are 20 inchers. There is a built in credenza between the two rooms with the TV shelf, drawers and a couple shelves. But the Credenza is strange.... half of it faces one room, half faces the bedroom...lots of wasted space.

When we arrived, we found clothing from the previous occupants in the top credenza drawer...obvious the maid didn't check them. (this is the second time we have found remnants of previous guests at a Cedar Point Hotel....last time it was half a case of beer at Breakers Express. and we don't drink!). The floor seemed dirty and there was somewhat of a strange odor. The room has a balcony with two chairs on it, but the noise and heat from the air conditioner along with the smell of fish from the lake make it not pleasureable to sit out there.

The pool area was very nice and the kids enjoyed the pool (and they have a lifeguard on duty when the pool is open.). The lobby is very nice and there is a gift shop. The other public areas (connecting areas between the buildings, ice machine area, et.) just didn't seem very clean. The staff members we encountered were friendly and helpful. Especially the front desk staff.

There is a restaurant next door (Breakwater Cafe) that has a breakfast buffet (you have to pay for it) and other meals, but we did not bother to go there.

The hotel is on a beach..but it is not a swimming beach. You have to walk to the Hotel Breakers for that.

One of the reasons we picked this hotel was that you could walk to Cedar Point from it or take a free shuttle. It is about a 10 minute walk to the entrances to the park on paved paths. The directional signs are somewhat confusing however. On the last night at the park, my daughter and her friend left the park after us (when the park closed) and walked to the shuttle pick up station. They waited there with several other people for nearly 30 minutes and no shuttle appeared. The others were in Lighthouse Point and Camper Village and decided to walk leaving my daughter and her friend there. They went with the Camper Village people as far as the Campers but were then forced to walk the rest of the way to the hotel in the dark and alone. (they had called me and I was walking back to meet them.) At no time, did they see the shuttle drive by or pull up to the hotel.

Overall, I didn't like our stay and I cannot reccommend this hotel for many reasons. The only slight positive that I can find is its location but that too is not as good as Hotel Breakers. (and all Cedar Point Hotels get one hour early admission so that perk is available to other hotels)

My reccomendation if you are going to Cedar Point and want to stay in their hotels (for early entrance, free parking, cheaper tickets) is to stay at any of the other 3 main ones. (Hotel Breakers - closest to the park, Breakers Express - cheapest but have to drive or Castaway Bay - free waterpark use, have to drive about 5 minutes to the park). You will get a better deal for your money as the prices are basically the same. My choice will now be Castaway Bay...never again Sandcastle.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
metairie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

My new husband and I drove from Georgia to Cedar Point for our honeymoon. Got there on a Monday night (almost midnight) and stayed until Thursday morning. The price was very reasonable ($125) and the discounted tickets for the park was an added perk. Ate at the breakfast buffet next door and it was reasonably priced and quite good. Staff was very nice. Our room was clean and comfortable. Pool was clean. If I visit the park again, I would stay at Sandcastle without hesitation. The walk to the park from the hotel was 5 minutes. Loved our time there and would recommend it to anyone...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I have been staying at Cedar Point for 30 years as a child and as an adult. I had always stayed at the Breakers until this year when I decided to give SS a chance. Next time, I won't.

Considering the hotel just opened for the year it was in desperate need of a deep clean. The lobby stinks, the pool filled with bugs, no luggage carts, and for some reason housekeeping "forgot" to clean my room.

I understand you pay for location and I will go back to the breakers because you can't do any better than staying on CPs doorstep. However, I do not understand how they can have any pride in their hotel properties. I don't know who manages the hotels for Cedar Fair but, it is time to look elsewhere. Maybe the management should go undercover and stay on site - I give them 5 mins before they leave.

Until a developer comes in and opens a mega family resort with quick and reliable service to the park, cedar point has no reason to make their hotels anything better than 2 star at a 5 star price. I wish I had the money if for no other reason than a service to all of us who work hard to take our families on great vacations.

• Stayed May 2011
chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

We love the amusement Park Cedar Point. But really wish they would give you more for your money when it comes to the resorts. The Suites are so small you can barely walk around in them. That wouldn't be a big deal if the price was for a small space. But the prices they charge are totally outrageous. Good thing you don't spend much time in the room. But the beds are so uncomfortable, we hardly got any sleep. Maybe they will build a bigger, higher quality resort with a more reasonable price. I would recommend staying somewhere else. even the old Breakers is better then Sandcastle Suites.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

Front desk staff helpful and prompt. Rooms were small I was expecting a little more since it was on resort but it felt like I paid extra for a ordinary room. Location was wonderful since I didn't move my car at all except to go out into town. the free shuttle was awesome especially after a long day at the park. the gift shop was expensive but we were in a resort, they do have everything you need just about though. they do offer free coffee and hot tea in the lobby.The pizza we ordered through room service was really good bigger than expected, although they dont have a restaurant in house they do have a few in walking distance one across the parking lot and 3 in the hotel breakers which is a 5-10 min walk or take the shuttle. the only thing that bothered me was the huge amount of spiders everywhere on the pool chairs, on the pool gate, i found 1 in my bathroom and saw one hanging in the hallway.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

My husband and I brought our 3 children and niece to Cedar Point and stayed at the Sandcastle suites. The only real positive point to this hotel was the location and how close it was to the park. Other than that, we found it grossly overpriced at $279 just for one night accommodations in a room with 2 queens and a pull out couch. The rooms were clean and service was decent. We were woken up several times throughout the night with stomping and walking in the room above us. The nearby restaurant was HORRIBLE. Nearly 1/2 of the menu (I'm not even exaggerating unfortunately) was marked off as unavailable. This included a lot of children basics like cheeseburgers, chicken, lasagna etc. and we got there just as they opened. Service at the restaurant was very disappointing as well, with significant language barriers to deal with.
Overall, I'd recommend trying one of the other park resorts, this one just didn't make the cut in our opinion.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sandcastle Suites? Share your experiences!