“Hotel Breakers...indeed...” 1 of 5 stars

1 Cedar Point Dr, Cedar Point, Sandusky, OH 44871   |
Brooklyn, New York
“Hotel Breakers...indeed...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel is a dump. I recently did a tour of Ohio (from Brooklyn NYC) from Cleveland to Cedar Point to Cincinnati and all over the Buckeye State and this was the most expensive hotel of our trip including Put-in-Bay lakeside room, downtown Cleveland hotel, Columbus, etc.
Many fans of Cedar Point like to call this "nostalgic", etc. I call this a ripoff. At $300+ for Bon Air section of the hotel I can't believe they have the nerve to charge this amount. Yes, this is all about location and people seem to love the early-one hour access to the park as well. That's about it as far as perks.
The hotel is dated beyond being nostalgic and quaint. It's simply not a good hotel in any regard.
Negatives: AC barely worked, never got cool/cold even on high (maitenance couldn't figure it out either). I could spit harder than the water pressure in the shower. The shower drain didn't work so I was in ankle deep water for my shower. Toilet you had to flush twice for it to function properly. Styrofoam cups in the room?! Really? In 2013 you can't give me a real glass and/or bottle of water. No elevator?! Again, it's 2013. Cedar Point spent $30 million on Gatekeeper one would think an elevator in your own 3-story hotel would be a smart investment and/or they could offer some assistance in helping us with bags to the room. At check in my party clearly had many bags, no one offered any assistance or told us there was no elevator. I was later told it was noted on the website reservation. Very helpful, thanks.
I don't want to go on complaining, but the point is this was really sub-par and can't believe people stay here and give this place good reviews. I simply don't get it. I don't stay at Ritz Carlton's or Four Seasons regularly, I do however expect a shower, toilet, a.c.,etc. to work properly and beds to be comfortable.
Positives: Really the only thing is location which in 20/20 hindsight isn't the that big of a deal. It was so crowded during the hotel hour early entry that we only got on two coasters: Iron Dragon and Raptor (which later in the day had no waits) Gatekeeper had a 30+ minute wait during the hotel guest hour.
I would never stay here again. I would do CP as a day trip from Cleveland next time if I ever return.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
Tyler A, Manager at Hotel Breakers, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your visit. I apologize for the disappointment of your stay. It is our goal to correct any issues that arise while you here. We welcome the opportunity to have a more in depth discussion about your visit. Please contact Melissa at 419-627-2104.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
Chandler, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We recently stayed at Hotel Breakers in the Tower Section, in a Lakeview Suite. As I expected, the room was dated but clean. I believe there are plans to update the rooms in the next few years, but I didn't plan to spend much time in the room so it wasn't a problem for me.

The view was very nice, facing out onto both the lake and the park, where we could see Wicked Twister, WindSeeker, and (if I recall correctly) even GateKeeper. Since my mom wanted to see the water and I wanted to see the beautiful rides, we were both happy! The porch was screened but given the thousands of mayflies coming in off the lake, that was a good thing.

The beach looked pretty nice, though it was fairly cold and windy for most of our trip, so almost no one was on it. I found the signage to get to the park rather confusing and lacking, so the walk into the park down the beach path was longer than I expected. It wasn't a bad walk once I figured out a good route...for me, the best (warmest) route to the beach gate from the Tower was through the Conference Center/Breakers East entrance, then into the lobby and down the corridor to the tower. I think it took about 10 minutes.

There was a little confusion upon check-in; we were told where to park but not furnished a parking placard (I'm assuming we needed one? the other cars had one). We went back and got one without any problem. My mom ate at Perkins three times (including room service), and I had it twice. Very good!

What did concern me a bit was that around 7:30 in the morning, an alarm went off in the tower, saying something about an emergency situation, and to proceed to the nearest exit and await further instruction. So we put on our jackets and shoes over our pajamas and made our way down. Not once did an employee give us any instruction, not even when a small group of us paraded through the lobby and into the rotunda. (Which isn't the nearest exit, but I'm not my best when woken from a sound sleep by an emergency alarm.) We waited indoors because it was cold, and we had no idea the nature of the threat (if there was one)...I interpreted the message as saying to go TO the exit, not to necessarily leave. Since no employee was doing ANYTHING or talking to us at ALL, I assumed nothing was horribly wrong. We asked a few employees who passed by what was going on, but they didn't know.

Finally, someone in our group of guests went back to the lobby and was told that the fire department was going to clear us to go back up. Later I heard someone just pulled the alarm and we could go back up to our rooms. There were enough people gathered to go up the elevators, I figure that was true.

I relayed my safety concerns to Cedar Point more than a week ago and haven't heard back. There's another review on TripAdvisor that references the evacuation, and management replied "I'm glad to report our systems did work as intended." But I consider employee training to be a very important part of any emergency system. To me, it sounds like the evacuation plan is to let guests try to figure out what's going on without assisting them.

I never personally felt endangered during the incident, but in retrospect I'm concerned that both here and on Facebook, I haven't seen management acknowledge that there was any sort of problem.

I had a wonderful time at Cedar Point and enjoyed the quirky, kind-of historic nature of this hotel and the convenience. I would probably stay here again, because I figure the odds of being injured in a serious incident are very low. But if I were a parent traveling with kids, I think I might reconsider out of concern for them.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are a farther walk to the beach entrance, but are the newest rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Tyler A, Manager at Hotel Breakers, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for providing a detailed review of your visit. We constantly review our safety procedures and are always taking into account guest feedback when we have any type of unexpected situation - be it a false alarm or not. Your feedback is important and I'm glad you provided it. Thank you.
Brunswick, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I'm 38 and I'm never driving from Cleveland to C.P. and back again same day. 2 adults, 3 kids, Breaker's Hotel for 3 days/2 nights, $613 out the door. Live out of a cooler in the room (don't eat the $8 hot dogs and drink the $8 beers). Re-enter the park as many times as you like. Beachfront hotel for 3 days for $125/person? Includes tickets, free parking, and early entry. Kids were in heaven. 3 pools and 3 hot tubs and a mile-long beach? I may be cheap, but I'm not stupid.

Room Tip: Just get the cheapest. You're there for the stuff outside the hotel.
Tyler A, Manager at Hotel Breakers, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for the review, we're glad you chose to stay with us.
Pittsburgh, Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I loved how close the hotel is to everything! U can literally park and never leave the park..the rooms looked old fashioned for 200 plus a night and the tv...lol was a joke. But thankfully u don't spend a lot of time in the room. We was gone by 730 to go out for breakfast and was allowed in the park an hour early at 9. Then got back around 10ish n jumped in the hot tub which was big and very nice with a warm water waterfall...what sucked is that it closed at 11! Really? If we stayed at the park we wouldn't of had any time in there. At least stay open till midnight. Prefer 1 am but could live with midnight. Besides that it was great. But Perkins for breakfast is nice and there is also a Fridays on site. Will probably stay again. Just wish the rooms were updated some.

• Stayed June 2013
Tyler A, Manager at Hotel Breakers, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We do provide rooms at different price points, depending on what types of accommodations you prefer. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again.
Burr Ridge, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel based on proximity
and the early entrance to the park.
The location was the only positive. On our first morning, the hotel received an emergency evacuation at 7:45am. We were out in the rain and cold (61 degrees) in our pajamas for 15 minutes without any update or communication from hotel staff. Many of the guests were so cold they went back into the hotel without clearance. They really need to get a better communication system between guests and staff for an emergency plan.
The next morning, we had scheduled an early wake up call with Debbie to take advantage of the early park entry. The call never came.
Melissa, in management, did handle the situation very professionally and stressed that our experience was not typical. She is an asset to the hotel and hopefully will be able to assist in improving the weaknesses.
The hotel is somewhat "tired" and the overall service is lacking. If you don't mind paying the high price for location, this hotel is for you. Just be sure to have a B plan for your morning wake up call.

• Stayed June 2013
Tyler A, Manager at Hotel Breakers, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm glad we were able to take care of you while you were here.
Hyattsville, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Hotel Breakers yes needs to be updated a bit but will stay there every time I stay at Cedar Point. The workers go out of their way to help you. I like that can leave the hotel and 5 min walk too the park

Tyler A, Manager at Hotel Breakers, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you, we can't wait to see you on your next visit.
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you want the best location this is the hotel. However be prepared for dated everything else. We wanted to be able to walk to the park and have beach access and it was great for that. It was pretty crowded especially with school groups but the hotel is pretty large. We stayed in the tower section, non view room on a Sunday to Tuesday. The beds were the old coil mattresses so every time someone moved the whole bed moved. It was clean and the employees were all super friendly. The restaurants are not cheap onsite, think $7.99 kids meal and $12 hamburger. So we ate offsite as much as possible. In all it was pretty good. Being able to walk to the hotel is a nice perk but we were in our room quite a bit since it rained and it was just not great for how much you pay. Updates are badly needed.

Tyler A, Manager at Hotel Breakers, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for providing your review of the hotel. Your comments are important to us as we review updates for the future.

Been to Hotel Breakers? Share your experiences!