“Location....Location....Location!!!!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Elkton, Michigan
“Location....Location....Location!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We have just returned from our stay at Hotel Breakers while visiting Cedar Point for Halloweekends. There were 6 people in our party and we had reserved a Lakeview Suite which would accommodate all of us. We arrived at 9:15 am and we were happily surprised at check in that our room was ready. The check in staff was very pleasant and helpful. Check in took us a whole 10 minutes, then we were off to the park for the day. Literally a 5 minute walk to the gate! Location and Early Entrance are the two reasons we picked this resort for our stay this year. I wasn't too concerned about any of the amenities. After spending 14 hours running around Cedar Point, the only thing I was looking forward to was not having to drive. Our room as clean and comfortable, and to us, that's all that mattered. Our room was equipped with a frig, microwave and coffee maker. Very nice touches.
Location, location, location and early entrance. If this is what you are looking for with comfortable accommodations and friendly staff, then Hotel Breaker's is for you!! I will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Novi, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I visited Hotel Breakers during Halloweekends in October. It was 3 other adults and myself, and we stayed for 2 nights.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, but the check in process was very long. We got everything ready at the desk and went up to the room, just to find out that 2 of our party was already in the room. The front desk never mentioned that anyone had checked in already. So we had to wait for all the tickets to be printed and all the paperwork to be done, only to find out that ½ of it was already done. It was a little annoying. But the staff was nice, so it was difficult to be upset. It was also a busy weekend.

The room was very average. It was in the older part of the hotel without elevator access and was a little confusing to get to. Nothing too special about the room itself: a TV, two beds, towels in the bathroom, and itchy sheets. The alarm clock didn’t work and kept blinking, even after we fixed it, so we had to unplug it the whole time. While we were gone all day Saturday the room service never can to our room, so we had to call the front desk for clean towel, which they brought in about 10-15 minutes (which was great!).

The hibachi restaurant was delicious and entertaining, and I would go again in a heartbeat. Fridays was average and expensive, but the wait staff was attentive. Perkins was kind of disgusting, but it was the only breakfast option. The eggs were very gross (fried on the outside, and runny on the inside.. for scrambled eggs…), but all the bread options were fine. The first day the waitress forgot about us, and we had to go to the front to pay and to page the waitress.

Check out was super easy, and the best part of the stay.

Overall, I would stay there again because it was average, and convenient. It was very close to the park, had package deals, and was relatively cheap

Room Tip: There is an older part without elevator access, so if you have a lot of luggage or kids, be careful...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was really worried about staying at this hotel after reading the bad reviews. However, we were able to get a room on the newer side (whew). We had a room reserved in the older part but since we asked to have a refrigerator in our room they gave us what they had available...and it just happened to be on the newer side. It was decent, nothing special. I would rate it a two star.

Check-in went smoothly (thankfully because it felt like they had the AC on) but don't expect them to know what is open when you ask. We ordered Dominos Pizza late Friday night because they told us nothing was open. We found out Saturday that TGI Fridays was...from a bartender at the park!
The room was clean, heat worked well, bed was average. Make sure you take the "do not disturb" off your door if you want it serviced. They won't come back.

Would I stay again? Probably. It's definitely a great location with a quick walk to the park. I would definitely want to be placed on the new side though.

Room Tip: If you think you may be placed in the older buildings....ask for a refrigerator! Maybe you'll g...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our family (wife, son 6, daughter 8) stayed at Hotel Breakers on Oct 13-14, 2012. We were driving up from Delaware, and wanted to go to the park for Saturday on our way to Illinois. We arrived around 1am, and the desk staff took care of getting us squared away. We got to the room, which did not appear to have been vacuumed with bits of stuff (non-food) on the floor.

The rooms at the Breakers are old, and not what I would expect from a hotel tied to an amusement park (I didn't expect Disney, but this was more two star motel - especially at the prices they charged). The beds were like springboards which bounced if anyone even twitched. Everything was "dated" in the room, tube TV, no microwave, etc.

Overall, the hotel was very convenient, since we could walk into the park - but based on the cleanliness and amenities, I would stay somewhere else next time.

Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Breakers is in such bad shape that I actually contacted the CEO and the marketing dept.
We were so dismayed by our stay this past September 2012. The Breakers Hotel at Cedar Point is a travesty. The once lovely Breakers hotel has sunk to the level of a 1 star motel. We paid nearly $200 per room and were shocked at the deterioration and lack of normal ‘upgrades’. It’s really awful.

Room 1553 is a classic example of outdated-ness and disrepair. The rooms in the ‘modern’ section need a complete overhaul: First you smell mildew upon entering. (A previous tripadvisor reviewer said she actually brought Febreze to the hotel!) The bedspreads are outdated and unhygienic, the linens are scratchy and blankets are ratty—something we’d throw in a dog’s kennel! A hotel of this caliber should be using double sheeting over duvets, not nasty, old bedspreads. The TVs are old and from the 1980’s—for $200/night, we can’t get a flat screen TV? The HVAC system is terrible—there’s no thermostat and the room either is blazing hot or freezing cold--you have to get up during the night and keep changing the heater to AC and back again--This is energy inefficient and miserable for us guests! The toilet repeatedly flushes and needs to be jiggled to stop as if we were at an old truck stop restroom—what a waste of water resources, and yet again, super annoying. The carpeting is old and sticky. The check-in staff seriously need to take a customer service course—they are bored and surly early in the day. (Disney would have fired such staff for such poor attitudes.)
I was embarrassed for Cedar Point and its staff.

Cedar Point is such a great amusement park and The Breakers used to be so gorgeous. I am very disappointed that I wasted our money by staying overnight. It's still got a stunning beach and decent pools but you can't use them unless you stay at this dump. Please, Mr. CEO from Disney, fix this.

Room Tip: Don't stay until they renovate the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Burton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I, along with our three adult children, son-in-law and daughter-in-law, and granddaughters ages almost 4 and 6, spent two nights at the Breakers. We were there for a family weekend to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We had three lakeview rooms (beautiful view) on the second floor of the BonAire section of the hotel as part of the Halloweekend package. After reading so many of the negative reviews we were a bit apprehensive about staying in this part of the hotel, our fears were completely unrealized. The recent updates (curtains, carpet, bedding, furniture, and TV) were more than adequate. In the bathroom, there was some wear and tear on the flooring - not sure if it was also replaced, but with a low quality material, or if it was just due to previous guests spilling or dropping items on it. But the rooms were clean and with plenty of towels, soaps, tissues and t.p.! There was a slight closed up smell when we first entered the rooms, but I brought Fabreze air effects with me and after a few squirts it was fine. These rooms do not have fridge or microwave, but we brought coolers with us. Having no elevator wasn't an issue for us as we generally use the stairs anyways unless we are above a 3rd floor. Some people might not like to see the pipes running along the upper walls of the rooms, but after all this section was opened in 1926 - to us it adds to the ambiance of a period hotel. Do wish they hadn't added drop ceilings here, though!

The decorations were fantastic, especially the bats in the rotunda. Some of us ate dinner Friday night at TGIFriday before the rest of our group arrived. Yes overpriced but I have not stayed in any hotel where it wasn't more than the off site restaurants - you're paying for the convenince and after a three hour drive we weren't interested in leaving for a meal. Lots of decorations here, too. Used the pool later that night (three feet depth only) and the whirlpool. Nothing special about this area. Plus opposite the entrance to Fridays with a long window wall - not private at all.

We had left the park Saturday due to the rain and tried to eat dinner at Perkins or Fridays, but were faced with an hour and a half wait minimum. Not possible with 9 hungry people. Perkins had an entire section of the restaurant vacant, too. Not enough staff? Their loss - we are all hearty eaters and big tippers!!! Luckily those coolers we had brought were full of cheese, ham & turkey chunks, pickled bologna slices, veggies & dip, fruit, water, milk,juice and soft drinks, plus we had an assortment of crackers, pretzels, chips and cookies. We had an indoor picnic!

We did not feel the price was out of line for three lakeview rooms, two days entrance into the park (we upgraded our Friday night tickets to Sunday ones) and included parking (that alone would have cost us a minimum of $90.00 for three vehicles). Overall we had a great experience and would definitely stay again - too bad they aren't open the Sunday night of these weekends to avoid a long drive home!

Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I would consider staying here again ONLY for the convenience of the location but the majority of the reviews were correct in that it's not that great of a place to stay. In fact, I would consider staying at the suites up the road next time I visit though I do realize you're all part of the same group.

I'm ok with the older decor and old TV's etc. What I don't understand is the uncleanliness. It was very gross. It was clear to me that our shower had not been cleaned. There were strands of hair on the walls of the shower and on the curtain and on the edge of the tub. There was a wrapper of some sort on the cubby hole in the shower. I understand that many people used the shower before I did but I don't want to see evidence of this. It's unacceptable to me.

As we were getting ready to leave the room, housekeeping stopped by and I told her that we were getting ready to leave to just give us a minute. Told her our shower wasn't cleaned and so on. She never came back. We came back to a room with an unmade bed and no clean towels and of course a still-dirty shower. Wow!

The hotel as a whole was cold. I understand they are only open on the weekends during the Halloweekends, but it was an uncomfortable chilly.

Check in and check out was painless. Check in had a long line but it went quickly and they were organized and the staff was very helpful.

We stayed on the second floor and I had no problems not having use of the elevator. Our room had a great view of Lake Erie and our bed was very comfortable. I slept very well.

The Ice-Cream parlor: oh dear lord. The girl that worked on Saturday night needs to be retrained in customer service. The guy 2 people in front of us asked for a spoon, there were none on the counter. She walked (slowly) to the back room, got the box of spoons, forgot a knife to open the box, went slowly to the back room again, got a knife then proceeded to fill 2 cups of spoons - instead of just handing the guy a spoon and on to the next person in line and filling the cups when she didn't have a line of customers. She finally waits on the lady in front of us, then the kid who wanted a malt (but they were out of milk - really? out of milk?) and then us but before she waited on us she opened a sleeve of nickels and was counting change. Are you kidding me? People in line behind us were grumbling. I interrupted her, she answered my question and went back to counting change. Wow! You guys really need to retrain the teenagers/young adults at Cedar Point. It was like this all over the park, not just your resort but this girl wins the blue ribbon for her lack of customer service.

The gift shops: the young workers in here were pleasant and offered tips for the park. In fact one, gave us the idea of going back to the park to the Game Day Grill which had excellent food at a decent price. Who knew Cedar Point had Montgomery Inn ribs and pulled pork!

Not that wifi was needed but I have Verizon service and service in your hotel and throughout the park was limited. Frustrating, yes but not your fault. It would be nice if you had wi-fi throughout the entire hotel instead of the main area. However, I did read reviews that said it was horrible wifi and I didn't have a problem with the wifi but my husband did. I have a DroidX, he has the iPhone and we're both on Verizon so I'm not sure why the issue.

Like I said earlier, the only thing you have going for you is the location and convenience. Based on everything except that, I would never return. I've also found that when people are asking me how the weekend went, I find myself gravitating to how horrible your hotel was rather than the fun at the actual park. :(

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Lake Erie, the sunrise was beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Breakers? Share your experiences!