“Comfort in not even ho-hum level of hospitality” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$79 (USD)
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Orlando, Florida
“Comfort in not even ho-hum level of hospitality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

Remarks regarding recent stay at Comfort in Sandusky Ohio, arriving the evening of Friday, Sept 4th, departing Sunday Sept. 6th. Overall, my stay did not meet a $129.00/night rate in the least. Of the three young men at the counter, we were waited on by an individual who obviously has no plans to climb the Comfort Inn corporate ladder. After hiking the trail through this extensive 280 room elevator free facility, I could not enter my room, the card key did not work. So, after retracing my many footsteps back downstairs, our front desk attendant remarked as he re-programmed my key cards “ I thought I might have put the wrong number on it but I wasn’t sure.” I have now more than familiar with the long and winding road, I am able to enter the room. Ready to get things unpacked, I turn the air conditioner on as the room is pretty stuffy. Nothing happens. We make a call to the front desk. After stating the problem, the response was “Wait a minute, let me flip the breaker, hold on (waited 10 seconds-then) Is it on now?” As if by magic it came on, wow. We had difficulty getting the television to work, but we got it wired so it would tune in. I have to agree with other comments I have read, Please invest in some decent towels. The towels I had were John Wayne towels, rough as sandpaper and wouldn’t take any ‘water’ off anyone, but they are excellent for exfoliation. This might be appealing for my wife, but I like my skin the way it is-thanks anyway. The breakfast fare was very adequate, the room and space to accommodate 280 rooms for breakfast was woefully inadequate. I could eat well if I was the first one in line when it opened but if I slept in at all, the lines to the waffle makers (both of them) became so long they would wind through the entire food service area creating such congestion families had difficulty accessing the cereal, oatmeal, pastries, fruit, and coffee. Oh, on the coffee, three of the four regular coffee earns were empty both mornings, but the Gourmet brand was good when I got it. The waffles are a great idea, every kid wants one. If they could be located farther away from the rest of the food lines the whole morning would be less stressful and hurried. The overall cleanliness was lacking, spider webs in my window, cigarette butts in the hallways. Our kids liked the swimming area.

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I'm surprised that a Choice Hotel chain member can have all the amenities that they have. Two bars, an awesome restaurant, pools, two areas for the large breakfast... The front desk was friendly and gave me a "no walk rate" of 62.96. Not bad for a HOTEL by Cedar Point. There are a lot of shady MOTELS on Rte. 6. I would stay here again, the only thing I didn't like is the instructions for the safe were faded and kind of scratched. It wasn't hard to figure out though.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Midland, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Our family of four had a great time at this hotel. We stayed in a room with two double beds. Two pillows per person. The room was very clean. The room had a an iron, coffee maker (maker is small bring extra coffee, small filters, cream & sugar). The room also had a hair dryer and a safe you could use for $1.00. It also had a washer & dryer, pop machine and ice machine in the hallway. The lab top worked fine in our room (we looked up the time cedar point opened up 10:00 am 11:00 am on Sundays) We visited the pool when we arrived Friday night, the indoor and outdoors pools are connected by a hallway, they also have a sauna. The outdoor pool was a little cold but that is were the kids wanted to swim. That was fine with me because the bar was over looking the outdoor pool so I could watch the boys while I enjoyed a drink. Drinks were strong and only $3.00 for a mixed drink. (Bring beach towels & swim suits). As a parinoid Mom and safety director by profession, I knew where my kids heads were at all times in the outdoor pool. I only have one suggestion for this hotel: Put a LIGHT UNDERWATER in the outdoor pool, it's a good idea especially where alcohol is present. We all retreated to the hot tub and indoor pool which were very well lite, which felt great after the long drive! I slept like a baby that night... In the morning we went down for the continental breakfast, they had all sorts of pastries, homemade to order waffles and lots of sweets, I would have liked to see some yogurt and fresh fruit for me, but the kids and husband loved the sweet treats for breakfast. (Notes for Cedar point: Parking $10:00, you can get your hand stamped and go out for a packed lunch or rent a locker for .50 cents. I recommend this or you will be eating greasy fried food that is way over priced. NOTHING HEALTHY TO EAT INSIDE PARK.) Nice hotel would recommend it to friends or stay again...!!!... Kids loved it and so did I!

chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

It was definately not worth the money, the beds felt like concrete, the pools were disgusting hair and bugs floating around in it. the pool area looked grimey with filthy scum and dirt in the floors and even the walls of the pool looked dirty. there was hair in the corners of the bathrooms in our room, and in our kid's room there was a towel with lipstick stains that had not washed out right from the last person who used it. iknow its a place for kids but the kids next across the hall ran up and down the hall all night and screamed til two am! i dont know with competition so tough you'de think that hotels would try a little harder. the only thing i could say is that the staff was very pleasant, but it still hurt to pay so much for what i got.

Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

It is a shame that Sandusky does not offer any decent accommodations for under $200 per night. If you are just a regular person, chances are you can't afford that. Anyway. I wanted to have a place to crash after Cedar Point. We read most all of the reviews on this site and came to the conclusion that there are one or two properties that have good reviews- both of which were too much money for less than a 24 hour stay.

So we did the priceline.com bid and hoped for the best. I bid $65 for the highest star rating offered- which was 2.5. I later found out after reading more reviews that others bid lower and got the same property. I am not sure what their daily going rate is but I hope it is not much higher than that because it sure is not worth it.

After the long drive in from Michigan we spent the first part of our day at Cedar Point. We then took a break to check into the hotel, about 10-15 minutes away at around 5pm. Since I am a good little tripadvisor member- I did my homework on the property and knew what to expect. The other reviewers are dead-on with most all of the negative comments that were posted. That being said I knew what I was getting into and just made the best of it. But it started to gross me out more hour by hour.

I walked into two clerks helping two different people that both had various complaints. One of the guests was being moved to the Comfort Suites. The other was asking for money off of his room. A frazzled looking young man appeared behind the desk and asked to help me. He was rushed, not friendly-but not rude. He tried his best to put the two rooms I had booked near each other. I said "whatever is easiest for you, bet you don't hear that too much!" and I got a chuckle and a "no". Got our keys and off we went.

Room was okay in size, but yes very outdated. We were there briefly before going back to the park. I took a shower while my husband rested on the very hard small bed. Went into the bathroom to be greeted by an un-flushed toilet. Yuck. I flushed it. Shower did not drain. I dealt with it. Towels were like sandpaper, just as the other reviews have stated. The one positive thing about the shower was the adjustable massaging head. That was nice. Left for the park again.

After the park closed, we decided to rest for a minute at the hotel, then go check out the hotel poolside bar to get a buzz on. I started noticing more unfavorable quirks with the room. The walls were completely scuffed, dirty with spots and hand prints-all of the walls. There were a few small unidentifiable stains on the sheets. Also, the fitted sheet was not on the bed all the way and was INSIDE-OUT. This led me to believe that: a-they do not care enough to put it on the right way, or b-they just turned it inside out from the last time without laundering it! I hope the case was "a". Since I was aware of the cleanliness issues with this place-thanks to this site-I brought my own sheets. I put my own over theirs.

Besides the slow draining tub there were some unclean spots up the shower wall, enough to where red and green mildew was forming, and the shower curtain had mildew as well. Speaking of mildew, I found some in the ice bucket too. I removed the plastic bag liner to use the bucket for water to rinse the shower clean. (I had brought some Lysol and sprayed the tub down and scrubbed it with a washcloth). I noticed that in the corners of the bucket there was the familiar red and green mildew once more.

A few more things about the room and then I will describe the poolside bar. The coffee pot was filmy and the tray it was on had water spots and ring marks. The light fixtures on the wall were all scratched up. There was a funny smell in the closet that smelled to me like B.O., but my hubby said it was a fresh wood smell? Don't get it. Can't comment on the climate control since it was neither warm out or cold out, so just ran the fan to drown out any noise while sleeping. TV and Remote worked fine. The "Guest Services" guide was nothing more than a ratty, wrinkled and well-used 2 pocket folder with some pages of information about the hotel and stuff. There were no pens or paper. The carpet was old and worn.

We met up with the other couple we were traveling with to check out the bar. Walking by the common areas near a side-entrance to the hotel there were no ashtrays, so cigarette buts were all over the place, literally. We went up to the pool bar and ordered some drinks. The pool area seemed pretty clean to me, except the bathroom just inside by the indoor pool. Walked into another unflushed toilet. I did check out the indoor pool in passing and the grout in the tiles were black and there was dirt all over the floor by the pool. Someone could run a mop over it a few times a day, ya know? We chatted by the bar and drank until it closed and returned for some spotty sleep on the bed that felt like one of those pull-out beds from a sofa. We woke up late and missed the breakfast. Checked out with no problem.

I want to say that I stay in and review many hotels. I have used priceline about 3 or 4 times in the past year. This is the first time I was really unhappy with the price I paid for what I got. Some places you just shouldn't use priceline for, and Sandusky is one of them. Taking into consideration that I was there for less than 24 hours, I dealt with it and made no complaints to management since I had fair warning. I came prepared, but still it was hard to stomach. If you are planning a trip to this area I suggest coughing up the money for a better place especially if the stay will be more than 1 night. In this time of influenza break outs and such, cleanliness should be #1 priority for hotels. This place just needs one good housekeeping manager to whip the staff into shape and raise the standards. That would make all the difference. I can deal with out-of-date; but mildew, dirt, stains and smells are unacceptable. It seems they don't care because they know Cedar Point will bring them business-they do not have to rely on repeat guests. Its a shame Choice Hotels let them carry the name because a chain should be reliable, clean and have the same standards chain-wide. Sad state this one is in!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Don't stay here...it is FILTHY!!! The place is old, but that's no excuse for poor/lack of cleanliness! The rooms are so dirty I didn't want to take my shoes off...mystery spots on walls, doors and floor, bathroom gross with bottom of tub and grout black with ground in dirt, mystery spots on bedding, sticky drawer handles, towels feel like sandpaper, beds are as hard as the floor, pool has hair floating in it, and the hot tub has a disgusting dirt ring!! The windows and doors haven't been cleaned in forever and ice machines don't work!! I didn't try the breakfast as I didn't trust I wouldn't become ill! Made my skin crawl!!! Couldn't wait to leave! When I expressed my disgust at check out I received a blank stare with no apology.

New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I recently went to Cedar Point with my teenage boys, and I did a lot of online research on hotels in the area before I booked. I read the reviews on this Comfort Inn hotel as well as others, and realized that if I didn't want to pay $150+ per night I would probably have to settle for less-than-desirable accommodations. I decided to take a chance and book a Sandusky hotel with Hotwire. I've used Hotwire many times in the past and have never been disappointed with the hotel they provided. We've been fortunate to stay in Hotwire hotels that are extremely nice for a low rate. So, how bad could it be this time?? REALLY bad. This hotel is by far the worst place I've ever been in. I've stayed at many Comfort Inns around the country and most are very nice — not particularly well-appointed, but clean and accommodating. This hotel gives the corporate chain a serious black eye. Hotwire should be ashamed for offering it.

When driving up to the hotel and walking into the lobby, you think, "Hey, this doesn't look too bad. Fresh paint on the outside, clean, inviting lobby. Maybe all will be OK!" WRONG. One step beyond the lobby into the hallways and you just know you made a terrible, non-refundable mistake. Good thing my rate was only $46/night. About $45 too much.

The hallways were dirty and dingy. Very low level lighting made everything dark — maybe so you couldn't see how dirty the carpet was, or all the dirt and scuff marks on the walls and doors. The hallway reeked of stale cigarette smoke and I was amazed that non-smoking rooms were located right next to smoking rooms, alternating down the hall. As soon as we walked into our room, the musty, moldly smell was overwhelming. Turning on the A/C only made it more damp, but since the temperature outside was in the 80's, we had no choice. The room looked like it hadn't been updated since 1980. The carpet was damp (probably the reason for the smell) and the beds were hard as rocks, literally. My younger son threw himself down on the bed and actually yelled "Ouch! Are these beds for real??" While the bathroom wasn't exactly dirty, it had mold/mildew stains in the tub and I was actually nervous about walking in it with my bare feet. The towels were so thin and rough that they felt like you were drying off with sandpaper. The safe in our room didn't work. But the front desk was accommodating and let us store our valuables in their safe up front. I was told that they'll be removing all the safes from the rooms eventually because most don't work. She didn't say whether or not they would be replacing them.

There was wireless Internet connection in the room but the connection was spotty and kept dropping out. I had to keep moving all over the room to see if I could get a better connection.

The pool and hot tub were gross. There was dirt floating all over the tile floor - it looked like no one had hosed down the area in weeks. All I could think of was all these dirtly, sweaty people coming back from a full day at Cedar Point and jumping into the pool without showering. And this hotel was filled with people with kids. If you don't want to be around lots of people and lots of kids, stay away. There is also an outdoor pool with a bar, but we didn't use it. The nightclub attached to the hotel (next to the outdoor pool) looked very seedy, like some disco left over from the 70's.

I actually have to commend the hotel staff for the breakfast area. It looks like they used to have a very small area for breakfast (I think some earlier reviews stated this), but they have moved breakfast into a function room and have set up many tables and chairs for a large number of people to eat. The counters where the food is set up are spacious and there actually is quite a variety to choose from. (What do you expect for a free breakfast?) If you're going to Cedar Point, which about 99% of the people staying there were doing, then you don't need or want to eat a huge breakfast anyway.

Overall, this was not a good experience and the best part of the stay was leaving. You've been warned.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Sandusky? Share your experiences!