“Not as bad as the reviews say!!” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$79 (USD)
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Toronto
“Not as bad as the reviews say!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

My husband and I sayed here for 2 nights in July 2009. We booked here because of the rate and proximity to Cedar Point, and were not disappointed. Sure it's not some incredibly fancy hotel, but for the money you pay and what you get, we couldn't complain.

CHECK IN/OUT - Well first we got room keys to a room with people already in it - so we went back to the front desk to explain and were given another room instantly, no problem. Check out was simple & quick.
ROOM: Spacious, clean, average accommodations. Bed was a bit hard, so what.
BATHROOM: Very clean and stocked with shampoo, conditioner, lotion. Towels weren't replaced after we used them, but no big deal, just ask for more if you need them.
BREAKFAST: Breakfast is included here, but be prepared to wait a good 15 minutes in line to get anything. I wouldn't count on eating here unless you give yourself some extra time. Try the McD's down the street instead.
PARKING: Free parking and lots of it.
POOL: Looked like fun, always lots of kids swimming & playing, it was definitely the busiest place in the building!
LOCATION: Awesome location, 10 minutes to Cedar Point. Right on Milan, everything you need is within 5 minutes!!

This is a good hotel, with a great location and comfortable rooms. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and we most likely will - don't be concerned, it's really not as bad as these reviews say it is!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
CGrandeSandusky, other at Comfort Inn Sandusky, responded to this review, August 6, 2009
We thank you alot for your good review of our hotel. The images you posted will be a great help to people looking to stay at our hotel in the future. We're glad to have helped your vacation be accomodating and I'm sure alot of fun & a trip to rememeber. Again,thank you for posting your good experince.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Staff was rude from the start. The woman checking me in said take 2 keys, one might not work, but when I returned saying neither worked, was angry. She told me there was nothing wrong with the lock, did I try it more than once? Duh, of course I did. She was irritated with me but eventually reprogrammed the keys and they did work.

There was hair in bathtub and a girls headband on floor under the table by window in clear view which did not make us feel good about cleanliness.

Indoor pool and hot tub were filthy. Grit on the bottom of the hot tub and the same in the pool. You could actually see all the sand and dirt on the bottom of the pool. It is one thing to be worn, another to not be taken care of.

Breakfast had waffles and other break things (english, donuts bagels, though they ran out), but no yogurt, fruit, oatmeal or anything else 1/2 healthy. There was overflowing trash (no exageration) and no attendant in sight until we were almost done and then she came in, exchanged a coffee and left without emptying the trash or cleaning up the trash that was laying all around the coffee because there was not place to put the trash there.

Ran into another couple who felt the same as us and also had the rude check in woman the same night we did.

Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

The room was tiny the bathroom was so small the door almost touched the toilet. The chairs in the room were dirty and the bed was so hard the floor would have been softer. We booked for 2 nights but left after one sleepless night because the bed was that UNCOMFORTABLE!!!!!!!!

Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We stayed five nights and had a great experience here. We look for several things in a hotel when we go on vacation. We want an indoor pool incase it is raining, I like a hot tub, my three teenagers like a good breakfast, I want a good convenient location, and I want a good value. This hotel satisfied all of these very well. There is a good indoor pool, large hot tub, dry sauna, and a nice outdoor pool. The room was clean with no problems. It didn't have a refrigerator. This is definitely a family hotel with lots of kids. There was a national dance competition going on it town so there were a lot of teenage girls around. It's location is very close to a lot of stores and restaurants (we liked Ryan's all-you-can-eat buffet). The hotel is an easy 10 min drive to Cedar Point. The hotel staff helped us decide what to do on the two days we didn't go to the park.
Bottom line - It's a good hotel if you have kids and are trying to save money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

Stayed here last night as part of a group attending a wedding. We usually try to stay at Comfort Inn or at least within the chain due to the generally high level of quality re: service and facilities. This is the second one we've stayed at though that certainly needs some updates. This is particularly relevant due to the fact that we stayed in a room that was normally about $180 - more expensive than comparable or nicer hotels in downtown Chicago and downtown Columbus. There were visible crumbs in one of the chairs, a wet spot in between the beds, likely from something that had been cleaned up but not pleasant to step in, and overall the hotel just needed a bit of a facelift (rust on the stainless, broken pieces on stairs, beat up trim and carpet, etc.). Nothing major, but if I'm going to spend anywhere near $180 the place had better look like it costs that much. Service was fine and the continental was basic (again, for $180....), so overall only OK.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at this Comfort Inn during a visit to Cedar Point. We stayed for 3 nights and had a very positive experience. The people at the front desk were friendly, and because of a coupon I found on some Sandusky website we got 20% off of our stay. The price wasn't too bad to begin with, but we ended up paying $56 a night which was incredible. The room was spacious and clean, and the bed was comfortable. The only problem I encountered was having a window by the pool, which people would tend to stay at pretty late at night/were noisy. This didn't bother me too much because I can sleep through anything, but if you are a light sleeper I would request a room elsewhere. It was very close to Cedar Point and by many restaurants and stores. I have virtually no complaints, and would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Youngstown, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

We arrived at 2pm and our rooms were ready. Check in was quick and friendly. I did not know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. Our rooms were clean and stocked. We stayed for two nights. Our rooms were cleaned and restocked when we went to cedar point. The teens enjoyed both of the pools. The adults enjoyed relaxing at the cabana bar and their staff was friendly also. Due to reviews, we came prepared. I brought extra pillows and towels. The beds had four fluffy pillows. So unless you like hard, flat pillows as I do, there's no need to bring any. I was glad that I brought a few beach towels. However, I saw many guests carrying armloads of fresh towels so there did not seem to be a shortage. I recommend the coin op dryer after swimming. I hate to pack wet items. If you are a family with teenagers, looking for a budget friendly stay and also enjoy a few drinks in the evening, give this place a try. If you are looking for fancy amenties or pristine surroundings then this is not for you.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Sandusky? Share your experiences!