“Clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Cleveland
“Clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed here to visit the area and Cedar Point. The hotel is in a wonderfully built up but not too crowded area, with lots of restaurants, stores and things to do nearby. That fact and busy season is the reason for the price per night. The hotel is very nice, not brand new but definitely no cockroaches or stale smoke smells. The staff put us in the wrong room at first but it was corrected. Our beds were very comfy, but for the two adults and two children sleeping in our room, the bathroom area was pretty small. Stand up shower only and a small sink, not the usual large bathrooms found in most hotels. Hard to get a family of four around and showered with that kind of set up. Our room was clean, the AC worked very well, staff was friendly and helpful. One minor annoyance was the pool, it's on the smaller side and the hot tub is very small, you're knocking knees with anyone else in it as the same time as you. Overall I Would recommend to anyone who doesn't need a lot of bathroom space :)

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Warren, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Sleep Inn in Sandusky Ohio while visiting Cedar Point for two nights. For our two night stay, we were given a tiny room on third floor, with two doubles, by the stairs. So it was either go thru lobby to use elevator and walk through entire wing or walk up 3 floors to get to our room, which was right by stairs (corner room). So after Cedar Point, we had to walk up/down 3 flights of stairs when wanting to leave the room...and must have made that trek about 20 times.

We checked in and it was quick although clerk made no mention of my hotels.com special requests. The lobby itself was nicely renovated and looked fresh as did the corridors with new carpeting. After we trekked our belongings to the room, we found a partially renovated tiny room with two doubles. One of them is practically touching the wall. We weren't overly excited to be staying there for two nights, bathroom was small with a difficult to open/close door, sink area was small, no couch, no fridge, and no microwave. The room however appeared to be mostly clean.

There is an applebees in same parking lot on the employees park by the right side entrance of the hotel, so little parking for guests in that area. When we first arrived, there was a disgruntled male Applebee's employee swearing loudly on his phone about how the restaurant accused him of stealing and how he wanted to sue. It was a larger male in twenties, and we were concerned about this, as we intended on eating at Applebees that evening! Great way to start our stay. Outside and to right of the side door there was broken glass. On the monday night there were tons of bikers and old car drivers in the area for some event and the whole area was packed, including hotel/applebees on the monday, and then on Tuesday everything was more calm. There was broken glass on the side stairwell for two nights, glad we didn't fall on it!

Despite being called Sleep Inn, for what ever reason, I didn't really sleep well and the pillows were too big/bulky. We checked the mattress's and they appeared newish and clean. The flat screen TV was nice, but everything else was just mediocre. We were in room 300 and the headboard on one of the beds is hanging on to wall by a thread. Carpeting seemed new but rest of furniture was old. The shower was confusing to figure out how to activate it, and it was a usual Sleep Inn capsule like shower, so if you like baths, look elsewhere. The water pressure was terrible as well.

During day 2, housekeepers were speaking loudly in hallway about 25 rooms being to much and how they can't clean everything. Lovely conversation to overhear as a guest.

The pool area was nice, hot tub small but effective, and pool also small but better than nothing. Fitness center was closed for "renovations" although I could see inside and besides a new door (old door leaning against pool building outside) it was untouched. There is an advertised sauna but I didn't see one anywhere. Looked in Fitness room and didn't see a door for sauna either. There is a small patio outside of the pool area with chairs but one of the ashtrays/trashcans was very rusty and looked terrible. The little things appear to be overlooked here. The entrance on right of building near Applebees was never locked, so we felt uncomfortable that anyone can enter building at any time. There was also no trash can or cigarette butt receptacle so there were butts all over the place.

Went to breakfast both mornings and it was also just average. I liked how boiled eggs were still in shell, while annoying to remove shell, they tasted more fresh than other hotel boiled eggs which are usually slimy and taste old. These didn't taste the freshest though, and I couldn't eat yoik, didn't taste right. Breakfast had yogurt, waffles, muffins, bagels, toast, and large round sausage, which tasted gross and had large pieces of fat. I prefer the links so you don't need to take so much to take a bite and throw it away. I didn't really particularly like anything about breakfast. The breakfast area is small with limited seating. The coffee machine made terrible coffee that I didn't like at all. There was also fruit and juice.

We decided to check out Red Lobster and I signed up online for their rewards. I went to business center to print a coupon and saw a sign $1 for 2 pages. I try to sign onto computer but couldn't sign on as a guest, wouldn't let me, so I asked front desk. The man was very helpful and fixed the computer after a few attempts and I was able to print the coupon. I went to desk to get the coupon and same man was very nice and didn't charge me and I was glad as I'd have to break a $20.

I was also happy that they allowed us to check out 30 minutes past check out time which was appreciated.

Biggest gripes was the no fridge/microwave and tiny room. I visited Cedar Point last year and this year from Rhode Island, a long drive, and still haven't found my "go to" Sandusky hotel. I don't think I'd go back to the Sleep Inn. Last year, I stayed at the Quality Inn in Milan down the road, and it was also just okay, but also no fridge/microwave and even older tube style tv.
I was happy that Sleep Inn was only 10 mins from Cedar Point which was nice! Didn't want to spend over 200/ night for Great Wolf Lodge, but need to find a better hotel if I visit Cedar Point again! Sleep Inn didn't impress me. Most of the hotels in this area appear very outdated and lackluster with limited amenities compared to hotels in almost any other area! This Sleep Inn is relatively renovated but wasn't anything special.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

The overall Hotel looks brand new! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was great with waffles and hot sausage's. In the morning i went to the pool and spa was very clean and relaxing. We had a very excellent experience at the Sleep Inn. I would really recommend this hotel to others. I will defiantly be back to stay at this hotel if i am in Sandusky.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Weston, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

The room obviously hadn't been cleaned. I believe the bedding wasn't changed out. The sheets were dirty and there was an entire bag of trash under the mattress. A tv dinner was behind the fridge. Pop rings all over the furniture.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Wife and I decided to stay here just to get away from the kids for a night. Hotel is a little dated but was ok. Nothing special about the room. Typical motel room but clean which is always a bonus. Place was quiet and staff was good. Carpet could use some replacement.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

After driving for 8 hours through rain and snow, the Sleep Inn and it's welcoming reception staff, put the stress of the day in retreat. The non smoking room was clean, fresh with very comfortable. Breakfast provided a choice for any particular diet and check out with no fuss. I did not make use of the hotel's pool facilities, therefore cannot comment. I highly recommend the Sleep Inn.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My family and I stayed here for Columbus Day weekend and I must say, management made some great changes since the last time we came (July 4th Weekend). The moment we walked in I noticed that the place is being remodeled. Customer service was friendly and very accomodating to our needs. As we approached our room the Housekeeper took her time to greet us and offered to assist us if we needed anything. I noticed that room was re-fitted with flat screen TV's and the beds felt more comfortable. One of the things we look at closely to evaluate the cleanliness of a hotel room is its bathroom, and it was spotless. The breakfast was very good, much better that what was offered if we went outside of the premises. The pool & jacuzzi offer great relaxation after a long day outside. Overall we got our money's worth and it exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!