“Not Bad, in the Land of the Ridiculous” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Chicago
“Not Bad, in the Land of the Ridiculous”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

For $100/night my wife and I could stay in a granite and marble appointed suite in breathtakingly beautiful Negril, Jamaica with all the omelettes, lobster, shrimp, pineapple, etc. that one could ever dream of included in the price .....or stay in cardboard box room on flea-bag hotel row in the paradise of Sandusky, Ohio. Every hotel in this area should be ashamed as they are ridiculously expensive. Let's call that 'x'. My father-in-law loves to fish and there's no way of getting around getting ripped off in this area, which he likes to frequent. Therefore, we always try to find the lowest priced alternative when forced to stay here. I read the overwhelmingly horrible reviews on this flea bag, but knowing how silly people are, I decided it couldn't be that bad and gave it a shot. The receptionist was friendly and check-in was a breeze. When we got to our room you'd think we'd have needed a gas mask and assault rifle before breaking down the door by reading these reviews. Our room (140) was clean, cool and comfortable. It was just like every other hotel room in this bastion of mediocrity. The carpet in the hallway was dirty and our room was no where close to new. But it wasn't that big of a deal. As we got in the bed, my wife saw 'a hair' on the sheet and had a conniption fit, at that moment I immediately understood all the negative reviews on this place. I've rambled enough, it's not that bad, the wi-fi worked in our room, the tub didn't drain properly and that would be my only complaint.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at our property. As you indicated, this is a seasonal destination tourist area--the pricing and amenities are completely controlled by supply and demand. I'm glad that you found our accommodations met your overall needs but am also happy that you let us know where we fell short. Comments such as these continue to help us better train our staff because, no matter what, everyone deserves clean, comfortable accommodations--no matter whether your're at the Ritz or at the Travelodge. That's our committment to friendly customer-service and high standards of cleanliness and comfort. We hope you'll choose to stay with us again in the future!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and the place was fine, exactly what I would expect for $70 a night. The pool was clean as was our room, no bugs of any type, no weird smells, etc. Only negatives are the pillows are very small and the wi-fi is slow when everyones at the hotel and obviously trying to use it. The people at the reception desk were friendly and effcient and we had 1 instance where we needed some supplies and they were quickly brought to us. I think some people expect a Hilton experience when they are paying Knights Inn rates. The place was packed every night and everyone seemed happy and friendly, no loud screaming, nobody running for their lives from all of these supposed bugs, etc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you, very much, for your positive review of our hotel and staff. Although a seasonal property, we take pride in providing great customer service to ALL of our guests and providing clean, comfortable accommodations to everyone. Obviously, we're doing something right to have someone such as yourself go out of their way to write a review that is nothing other than positive. Thanks--we hope to be able to be of service to you again in the future!
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

The worst hotel ever! We were greeted so bad at the reception, so rude! The hotel is old, dirty and filthy. The room was so disgusting, dirty and filthy ,the furniture used and out of date. The room smelled of humidity. No Wi-Fi to talk about ( in the hotel reviews it was included ). In the wee hours of the night we were awakened by drunk idiots having a party in the parking lot. Horrible hotel! Stay away!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Although not the kind of reviews we like to hear about our property, I DO want to thank you for sharing your experience and inform you that many of the issues you listed in your review have been resolved. We had a group of people who were staying at the hotel for an extended stay that we ended up having to evict because of the problems you suggested. We also have been working diligently with our housekeeping staff to improve the standards of cleanliness and customer service that you spoke of. Additionally, our front office staff has been reorganized and some people have been dismissed because of their lack of concern for our customers. It's comments such as yours that give us the information and amunition to make solid, positive changes of which we can be proud and of which our future guests will be the beneficiary. I hope that you'll treat this as an isolated incident and that you'll give us another chance to prove our committment to quality and customer service to you and your family in the future!
Nitro, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I planned a trip to Cedar Point with my three kids. I looked online and must admit i read the terrible reviews on this Travelodge, but chose to disregard them. My Mistake. we arrived on Friday, August 3, 2012. The room was dirty and smelled very bad when we arrived. It was also very hot in the room, although the air conditioner was running when we arrived. I figured it had just been off and would cool down over time. Wrong again. We went to eat, and i stopped and bought some Lysol, an air freshener and some Bleach cleaner. We were gone about 3 hours and it was still smothering hot in the room when we returned. I called the front desk and reported this and was told they would send someone. No one ever showed up. Didn't get a call back either. I cleaned the room and sprayed lysol everywhere. We went to bed around 10:15 because we had a long day at the park the next day. There were people at the pool drinking and hollering and slamming doors for over an hour. I called the front desk and they said the pool was open till 11:00. I told them it was after 11:00. They said they would handle it. Still more yelling, laughing and slamming doors. Horns going off. This lasted another half hour. I called again. I was told they were on their way to the pool to get things settled down. At 12:15 i called and told the girl who answered that either they get the group under control or i was calling 911 and getting the police. I finally got to bed and sleep after 1:00. Needless to say i didn't get much sleep. We went to the park the next day and returned back to the hotel around midnight. Pool party again. Luckily it was starting to rain, and the storm sent them back to their rooms. I am not a prude, and am not against drinking or having a good time. I am against infringing on others and acting foolish in public. I felt as if i was staying in a white trash trailor park. It was ridiculous. Also, on top of all of this nonsense, when i checked out i was charged more than what i was quoted. I am contacting the main headquarters for Travelodge and putting in a complaint. I said nothing to the staff when i left because i was too furious. PLEASE BELIEVE the bad reviews on this site and others. Pay a little more and get another hotel, or stay a little farther away from CEDAR POINT and avoid this place. I didn't heed the warnings, but i hope you do.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. Period. Have never EVER had such a bad experience at any hotel/motel in my ent...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to relate your experiences during your recent stay at our property. I am sorry that the cleanliness standards didn't meet your expectations--we are constantly working with our seasonal housekeeping staff to ensure better quality and more focused customer-service. The partying and hollaring you refer to was from a group who ended up having to be forcibly evicted from the property. Things have gotten much better since this action was taken--so people should factor that into their reading of this review. At any rate, we hope you'll consider this an isolated incident and give us another try in the future!
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

From June 27-30, 2012, my wife & I, along with our 13-year-old daughter & her friend stayed at the Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky while visiting Cedar Point from Baltimore, MD. We'd read the TripAdvisor ratings (most of which were terrible), but we also read the responses & stayed there anyway. Bad move!! The pool was green & unusable everyday. The "free" internet didn't reach our room, not for either of our laptops or any of our iProducts. It did however work just outside the room, on the balcony. There were SEVERAL smashed bugs on the wall, just inside the door. One evening, I was awakened by a bug crawling on me. The carpet had 2 chunky, unidentifiable stains (maybe vomit?) at the foot of one of the beds that I (mostly) scraped away with some cardboard. EW!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to relate your experience at our hotel property. Although we seem to have fallen short of the mark with your stay, I can advise that 90% of the carpet in everyone of our rooms has been replaced with brand new carepet, the pool situation has been remedied, as has the wireless problem. Thanks for bringing those issues to our attention as it has helped us to improve our property and, most importantly, for future guests!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I normally don't write reviews but in this case I feel I need to share with fellow travelers. If you don't have a problem with cleanliness, stained bedding or centipede like bugs crawling all over your room then this is the place for you. My advice just pay the extra money for a better hotel! The only good thing about this place is that its conveniently located. It might not be so bad if they hired a good cleaning staff!!

• Stayed July 2012
I'm sorry that your recent stay didn't meet (or exceed) all of your expectations. We have a very strong and progressive pest control management system in place in our property; however, it being an outside-corrider property, the bug situation cannot be controlled 100% of the time. We have also used your comments (and others) to help train our cleaning staff so that they understand the standards that we, and our customers, expect. Thanks for sharing your experiences; we hope you'll give us another try in the future!
Navarre, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

When we first arrived..the desk clerk was out side smoking..not very professional in my opinion...the room it self was clean there were no budbugs trust me I checked ..There were a couple of things I didnt like..your house keeping staff needs uniforms of some sort..they were dressed horribly..again not professional and not friendly at all..The towels in the room were like sandpaper..some fabric sheets would help Im sure...and your breakfast wasnt..some pastries and coffee..It wasnt horrible for the price..but I feel like if you did just a few small things you mite have return business..I would start with attitude adjustments for your staff!..They should have a little pride!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Your comments and suggestions are very good and we plan to use your comments as a way for continual improvement of our staff and property. This is obviously a work-in-progress, but we are actively working to make positive changes. I'd urge you to give us another shot in the future--I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the changes we're implementing!

Been to Travelodge Lake Erie Sandusky? Share your experiences!