“Nice and affordable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Saint Clairsville
Ohio
“Nice and affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stayed here for one night when my son had a wrestling meet in Steubenville. It was about at 35 minute drive from the school but worth it since this was half the price of the hotels near there. We were happy with the recent upgrades and cleanliness of the room. The only thing I felt that was missing was a hair dryer in the room. But when I called the front desk they had hair dryers they loaned out to the rooms without built in hair dryers. The only other thing that would be nice is some sort of breakfast like many other hotels, including some red roof inns offer. But overall it was great and we would stay again if in the area.

Stayed February 2014
terry1212, General Manager at Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Hi Heather0908

Thank you for your positive feedback. I am very happy to know you found our hotel so clean and affordable. I want to let you know that we are rolling out a in the near future our new Red Roof Premium Rooms. These select room will enhance the guest experience by adding service amenities including in room (air dryer, iron/iron board, coffee pots, welcome snack box, additional pillows and hard wood floors). We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the area.

Terry Fitch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Madison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We have family who live in the area and we stay at the St.Clairsville Red Roof Inn when we visit them. We have had the pleasure of being able to stay here on many occasion with our dog which they welcome with out charge. The location is very close to shopping and dinning at many shops and food places. The rooms are very comfortable an we always get a good nights sleep. The hotel will be getting a new upgrade very soon if it has not started them already. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling thru the area and looking for a nice clean place to lay your head. We enjoy our stays here very much and look forward to going back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
terry1212, General Manager at Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Hi Firechief201, Thank you so much for your great review, we really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to write a review. Our full Hotel upgrade was completed in January and we are very proud of our “new” property. It is so nice to hear that you always get a good night sleep when you stay with us; all of our housekeepers work very hard to make sure our rooms are always very clean and well maintained. We all look forward to seeing you (and your dog) back here very soon !
central, ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We had the opportunity to stay at the St. Clairsville Red Roof Inn the week before Christmas. (this was a 3 day stay) My daughter and I were on a mother/daughter shopping trip and also to visit the casino in the area. Well enough of that, let's get to the review. I thought the room we had was wonderful. Looked like it had been recently remodeled and was very neat and clean. We had a handicapped room, and the bathroom was very accessible, with a wide door that a large wheelchair could easily fit thru. Very sturdy and plentiful hand rails and a nice accessible tub. I believe this is one of the first hotel rooms that had a nice solid mattress that didn't sink down in the middle !! Plentiful parking and several handicapped spots available. I do wish that they had offered a continental breakfast of some type. The only thing that I forgot to have taken off my bill was the "safe" they charge for, they should offer that to you up front instead of just adding it to your bill, who puts valuables in a safe that staff has access to anyhow ? Also would be nice if a small shelf could be added closer to the sink area. Other than those 3 small complaints I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling thru the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
terry1212, General Manager at Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you so much for leaving us this Great Review, I am glad you enjoy staying with us. Yes, we just finished our renovation in January. We work really hard to keep the hotel clean and we appreciate when those efforts are recognized. I will be sure to praise my team for their hard work and share your nice comments with them. Also, I appreciate the comments on the safe charges, the continental breakfast and a placement of small shelve in the bathroom. I will address each issue with the appropriate people and see if we can make some changes. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the area.

Terry Fitch - General Manager
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is a fairly usual Red Roof Inn. Since Red Roof Inns began renovating nationwide, like 6 years ago, they have really committed themselves to being kind of like the McDonalds of pet-friendly budget-conscious hotels. I think all the trends in hotel room decoration have changed since then, but that doesn't stop this earth-tone obsessed national experiment in Ikea stereotypes of the 1990s from charging forth with Formica counter tops and brushed steel fixtures of the people. So you don't go there for ambiance, but the expectations and market price-points indicate a clean room and a consistent experience from property to property. As with other Red Roof Inns, they welcome dogs, and the roof is red. And it is an inn.
This particular property was consistent and clean as its brand declares, at a market price in the middle of the pack. There were a few negatives and positives related to my stay here, which I will describe in that order.
First the negatives: the heat is electric, as in many Red Roof Inns. Here is the process: first you stare incredulously at the air conditioning unit, and it stares back with an icy-cold indifference. If AC units would talk, this one would say, "uhm there's a thermostat on that rust-colored wall over there, dude." AC units would most assuredly call you "dude" in order to maintain that cool, indifferent exterior. So you sense what the unit is telling you, and you operate the thermostat on the wall. Turn it clockwise and wait a few minutes. Nothing kicks on. So you look around again, you look at the AC unit and it shrugs: "I dunno, man." You then notice there are these heat-generating panels long the tops of the walls. These appear to have been invented by a guy who nailed his pancake griddle to the wall and said, "this is a great idea!" It was a freezing cold night, so I had the heat on maximum and it got up to maybe 71 or so. I was kind of hoping to be warmer in order to feel cozy after being outside in the snow, but I like to sleep in a slightly chilled atmosphere anyway, so my dog and I went to sleep. She (my dog) was a little disgruntled that there might be 20 square feet of actual grass to go sniff and eliminate on, and obviously that's a lot of dog business. I walked her down the gravel areas also, but she was like "this is gravel, not grass." I had to agree. We'll come back to the pet thing when we discuss positives, so hang in there. There was one other negative, and it was probably just a fluke or something: at the top of the stairs on the second tier of the hotel, there's this patch of roughly cut out old piece of carpet from one of the rooms, and a chair without a cushion, angled outward as if it were patio seating or something. Nearby there was another patch of old carpet, about 6 feet by 8 feet, just laying there. It kind of creeped me out, for an $80 hotel stay.. like ... toss the chair and carpet or shove them in one of the rooms you're working on. Don't leave it out like that, it looks really trashy.
Positives: First of all, pets stay free. I mean, my dog's credit card was maxed out anyway, so that is always a nice feature for Red Roof Inns, and unlike other "pet friendly" chains, you don't have to go look up the specific policies and click through the tabs to look for how much the pet fee is or how to book that special urine-soaked room where they stick anyone with a four-legged companion. No, Red Roof Inns are pet friendly, so there's no individual research to do about hidden policies and such. That leads me to another positive- the front desk staff was thrilled to have my dog staying. "We love dogs," she said with a smile! Sometimes you have to sign a little liability waiver. I don't recall if this Red Roof Inn had a waiver to sign, but the tradition of dogs trashing hotel rooms goes back to that movie where Benji was traveling across the country. As the legend goes, he trashed EVERY hotel room he stayed in, flushing dog bones and lingerie down the commodes and pooping on the night stands. Now every dog must pay for that. This Red Roof Inn is in a neat location- it is convenient to shopping and food in a fairly bustling little highway-friendly town.. i.e. there are quite a few choices in dining from fast food to sit-down chains and sports bars. The hotel itself is convenient to getting on and off the roads, but it's up on this hill that keeps it out of the noise. My stay was good, mainly, because the room was exactly as I expected- clean and consistent and welcoming to my dog.
I would definitely recommend this Red Roof Inn to other travelers, particularly with pets, who are on a budget and need a clean affordable place to sleep where they'll smile at you when you check in, and welcome you back.

Room Tip: Join AAA, you get considerable discounts at Red Roof Inns.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We were visiting near St. Clairsville, and needed a place to stay, but we had our pets with us, our options were slim, at the time there were only 3 hotels who accepted pets, and the other 2 looked like total rat traps, then we found the Red Roof Inn and it was a life savor, very nice experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
terry1212, General Manager at Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback! I am very happy to know that you found our hotel clean and our staff so personable. I know how hard it is to find hotels that accept your four leg family members and we try our best to make them feel like they are at home. We look forward to welcoming you and your pet on your next visit to the area.

Minerva, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stay at this hotel whenever I am in the area, I know I will get a good clean room, friendly helpfull staff, who for the most part go above and beyond to keep your stay enjoyable, Opal has especially done a great job to make me feel at home and since I am a woman alone working out of town it really means alot to have a place and people that make you feel safe and secure.
My last stay was not quite as good as normal there is a younger girl named Paige working there and she was very unprofessional, she seemed to be in and out of the hotel alot even when not on duty, but the rest of my stay was great I will stay there whenever I am in the St Clairsville area.

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the back side of the hotel, the bottom floor, it quieter and a little darker in...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
terry1212, General Manager at Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing! It is a pleasure to know that you are a repeat guest and that we have been able to provide you a clean room and exceptional service from Opal. With that said, great service depends on all of the staff members willing to give their very best at all times. I will assure you that I will have a talk to our newest member of our front desk and I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the area.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Great choice for a stopover in St. Clairsville.
We just needed a place to stay for the night while traveling and this place fit the bill.
Rooms were warm and clean, with comfortable double beds and a fridge and microwave.
I tried to find something gross in my room without success. Linens are clean, fresh, and white.
A no frills hotel that is well kept and in good shape. The staff obviously puts forth the effort here to keep this place nice.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
terry1212, General Manager at Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
It is great to hear that you have had such a positive experience at our location. We take pride in ensuring that we offer spotless rooms to our guest. I will be sure to share your feedback with my staff and I hope we can continue to exceed your expectations.

Terry Fitch

Been to Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville? Share your experiences!