“Worst. Hotel. Ever.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Saint Clairsville
Caldwell, Ohio
“Worst. Hotel. Ever.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Upon arrival, we were given a tour. I guess this should have been the first red flag, most hotels don't give you a chance to back out. But with a quick glance, everything seemed ok for all the more time we would actually have been in the room. Boy, was I wrong. Unfortunately, it was 11pm when arriving back to the room and I was not about to pack up and move everyone. I was in room 320 on 3/21 (checked out 3/22), most of the light bulbs were burnt out, so the bright overheads above the bed were the only option to provide adequate light but too bright to enjoy relaxing. The toilet ran constantly after one flush. My son was playing on the floor, where he discovered cigarette butts under the bed. Disgusting. When pulling down the blankets, several hairs were in the bed. Disgusting. The front desk night clerk was obviously smoking marijuana in the elevator just as we returned. He had just stepped off and the smell was overwhelming. He was almost high enough that his functioning was on the verge of shutting down. From all appearances, he was later involved in an altercation between other individuals in the hallway right outside of are door which had my son frightened. Of course, being as high as he was, we had no way of reaching out to complain. Disgusting. The pool room was moldy, cold, and just plain dirty. While the water appeared clean enough, clearly the floor and tables in the area were not. The smell of dogs which were behind the front desk was overwhelming. Disgusting. The staff was rude. As we arrived for check in, not a single member of staff aside from the front desk spoke. They kept their heads down and made us feel we weren't welcome and about to have the scariest night of our lives. I cannot say one positive thing about this hotel.

Suggestion:Spend an extra $40 and book with the Holiday Inn Express across the street.

Room Tip: Rooms not in this hotel are the best.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Fredericktown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed here on 2-15-14. I only booked this hotel because it was the only one I could find with an in room hot tub with smoking and a bar. The room and bathroom was filthy. Bed sheets had burn holes. I did not dare use the hot tub until I went across the street and bought a gallon of bleach to clean it with. This hotel must have the worst/laziest house keepers. After talking to a few other couples I was told that their room was the same. The bar was not open that night because the bartender was not feeling well..Really !!!!! Only one bartender at the hotel ? This hotel is in need of updating with a maintenance worker who knows what they are doing because the one they have now is doing a terrible job. I would figure that having to pay over $200.00 for a room that it would be a nice room and nice hotel. Worst hotel experience EVER.

Room Tip: Nothing good here.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Previous reviews weren't too kind to this hotel, but this isn't too bad if you want to get some sleep and a hot shower. Price was a bit more than I wanted at $100, but they do allow pets. We didn't get down to the pool or bar area. The parking lot is pretty rancid, but our room was clean and they had a large flat screen tv. The bed was comfortable and the other guests weren't noisy. It's not luxurious, but I've seen worse, a lot worse. The staff weren't friendly, but they weren't rude either. I'd recommend this for one night if you want to get off the road and get cleaned up.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Saint Cloud, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have never written a poor review, but this needs to be said; as with other reviewers I have to suggest you stay anywhere but this hotel and I mean anywhere else. This was our 4th stop on our 3 week trip, we were tired and the exterior looked fine. Once inside I started to have second thoughts but as I said we were very tired. I should have gone with my gut on this one. We took the room and as I was getting ready to get in the shower two men walked right in our room. The front desk apparently gave them a key. I thought my husband was going to kill someone. I never did get in the shower which was for the best as the shower was disgusting. We were told they would take a big $20 off our bill. I am not the best at math but I know the following is wrong: Signed the paper upon check-in agreeing to the outrageous $105 cost.... minus the 20 for strangers in our room plus about $10 in taxes....Total for the night came to $120. I don't think so. Unfortunately and admittedly stupid of us we didn't even look at the bill until we were stopped in the next state. We just wanted out of there so fast. Also the alarm clock went off in the room at 3:30AM and we couldn't shut it off so my husband pulled it out of the wall. My husband and I have stayed in many hotels both good and not so good but none that have ever equaled the horrific stay we had here... STAY AWAY, Keep driving.

Room Tip: Want a good room... go to a homeless shelter instead, anywhere but here.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in some very nice Econo lodges, but unfortunately this was not one of them. The decor was odd and dated, and had the feeling of random pieces of furniture bought at a second hand store and placed in odd areas of the room. Pieces of the plastic moulding were peeling off the walls, and there were odd rust colored stains on the floor by the ice machine. The kicker was the lack of breakfast. A few paltry carbohydrates, no proteins, and because we arrived at the end of breakfast, we were told "I just turned the waffle machine off." They were not willing to turn it back on. We will be sure to stay elsewhere on our stays in St. Clairsville in the future.

• Stayed July 2013
Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I don't usually stay at Econo Lodges due to a bad previous experience. I had seen this hotel and it looked pretty good from the outside. Some reno work had been done on the exterior of this former Microtel hotel. Once inside you realize that all the reno money was spent on the exterior. None was spent on the interior! Tiles on the lobby floor were cracked and breaking apart. My bathroom door showed an indentation where someone had punched it. (Don't know who won that fight) Breakfast was slim and dried out. Walked down to the pool which should have been condemned! There actually was yellow tape surrounding the hot tub! I don't think it was crime scene tape, but didn't take the time to check it out. I have to say, though, I was surprised at the wildlife. As I was walking outside to my car in the evening, there was a raccoon eating at the cat's feeding station!!! I'll think twice about staying at an Econo Lodge again.

Room Tip: Try someplace else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Place is nasty. Desk clerk was asleep in the room behind the counter had to wake him up, think he was drunk. Vending machines were empty. Bar was closed, sleepy offered me a couple beers since bar was closed. Had to wedge a screwdriver in the coffee maker to get it to work. Didn't sleep all night. Can't say how breakfast is, didn't stay long enough to find out.

Room Tip: Avoid them all!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Red Roof Inn St. Clairsville
#3 of 12 in Saint Clairsville
4.0 of 5 stars 154 reviews
Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Wheeling St Clairsville
Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marr...
#7 of 12 in Saint Clairsville
3.5 of 5 stars 64 reviews
The McLure Hotel
The McLure Hotel
#6 of 8 in Wheeling
3.0 of 5 stars 119 reviews

Been to Econo Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!