“Hotel was just okay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Richfield
Michigan
“Hotel was just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

We stayed here for the night while visiting friends in the area. Check in was simple and pleasant. The first room we were in was dirty and run down. There was trash in the drawers and the desk seat was worn to the point of ready to tear open. After it started to rain and drip inside the room I called and asked for another room. The second room was much cleaner and not so run down. The pool was very nice, except the chlorine was so high we were unable to swim for very long. I haven't had my eyes burn that much before! Two of the three machines in the fitness room were broken with out of order signs on them. There were no hand weights or weight machines, just cardio equipment. The breakfast staff was friendly and the breakfast was typical Holiday Inn Express fare. I did find it unusual to serve the milk in jugs with the tops off instead of the individual milks and the tip cup by the coffee was odd. Overall this hotel was just okay and next time we will try a different one in the area.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

We needed a place to stop for a night when driving home from New York to Chicago. I chose the Holiday Inn Express Cleveland-Richfield based on the good reviews on Tripadvisor. The hotel did not disappoint. It was very convenient to I-80 (The Ohio Turnpike). The lobby and rooms were nice. We had a suite with two queens and a pullout sofa bed. The room was very comfortable for our family of 5. There was free internet in the room. The room was nicely decorated and very clean. Beds were comfortable. The sofa bed was not, according to my daughters. Breakfast was decent. The Holiday Inn cinnamon rolls are very good. The breakfast room was large and uncrowded. The staff was nice. The best part of this hotel is the pool. It is clean and WARM. The spa is HUGE and bubbly. There is a sauna, The pool was open until 11PM. When you are using a hotel as a stopover on the interstate, it is really nice to have a good pool area in which to relax and unwind. My family really enjoyed the pool. This hotel is a good value. Also, if you have time, go see Brandywine Falls. It is only 10 minutes away in the Chuyahoga Valley National Park.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

Located right off the highway, the hotel is quiet, comfortable, and clean. The front desk staff were very friendly. Room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. We stayed here on the way to our destination and, based on our initial stay, the return trip. The breakfast is simple and fine for a quick bite before hitting the road though we prefer the Richfield Family Diner (down the road). We had stayed at another hotel in the area and this will now be the one to which we will return.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Deerfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2008

We stopped at the Holiday Inn Express while traveling the Ohio Turnpike. It was very convenient to the Turnpike exit. The hotel was very clean, the front desk was very efficient at check-in. The room was one of the largest I have been in. I was traveling with three children, and we had plenty of room for everyone without tripping over each other. The bathroom was very clean, and the beds were very comfortable. The pillows had cases on them with labels embroidered for "firm" and "soft". I was surprised that the pull-out couch did not have linens, and called to the front desk to ask for them. None arrived, and when I called back 30 minutes later the person at the desk said the he had just started his shift and had no message about linens. He promised to deliver some right away, and had them at my door in about 4 minutes. In the morning the housekeeping staff knocked at the door at 8:30am. I suppose that was my fault for not putting the "do not disturb" sign out, but since we were staying only one night I figured that we would not be bothered until we checked out. We spent the morning in the small pool, but since we were the only ones there the size was ok. The breakfast was fine, cereal, toast, muffins, etc. They let us use the breakfast room to eat our lunch even after we had checked out of our room. The hotel was very quiet and provided a good place to rest in the middle of our long drive.

• Liked — clean and quiet
  • Disliked — some staff not very attentive
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Findlay, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Richfield, Ohio. I found it one of the best Holiday Inn Express' that I have ever stayed in. It is a newer hotel with no blemishes. The recreation area consisted of a hot tub, sauna, workout room, and indoor pool. The breakfast was a hot meal (not just to toaster type). The management and staff were extremely polite and wanted to make sure that all was well. They were constantly asking my wife and I if everything was OK.

My wife and I got the dinner and suite package. The dinner was at a restaurant down the street called Memories. I wouldn't recommend it. It was pretty greasy. (And it is not associated with the hotel).

The hotel suite consisted of a heart shaped hot tub and a king size bed. The mattress and covers looked like new and never slept in.

For the money, it was a great deal. I have stayed at more expensive hotels and more "upscale" hotels that give much less service.

The only downside I can see regarding this hotel is its location. It seems to be in the middle of nowhere and could be hard to find. However, putting that aside, I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Value for the price
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

This hotel just opened in 2007. The grass hasn’t event been planted yet. The hotel is very nice as upscale as Holiday Inn Express can be. The rooms are nice and the new Holiday Inn bedding group is very nice. Over all I found this a classy place.

It is a quality hotel however it is in a difficult location. Squeezed into between two interstates this in not the most scenic location, but it is service able. The location is convenient to Turnpike and the Interstate which may be a good thing or a bad thing.

On the down side, there is an old lounge/bar hanging on to the front part of the property. It has seen better day and they probably wish they sold when the Holiday Inn Express was developed. It is kind of an eyesore. Also a motel wrapping around back side. It is questionable as well.

Winter travelers note the Brandywine Ski area is less than 3 miles a way. This location could make for a nice base for a trip there or it could make a nice diversion on a b trip. During the summer months, a run from the hotel to the slopes makes for a great workout.

There is a Pilot gas station with a Wendy’s within walking distance for fast food and snacks.

Over all this is a nice place in a difficult location but not with out value.

• Liked — the nice decor
  • Disliked — the bar and motel right next door
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

We stayed here on our way home. The hotel itself appears to be brand new. The inside was very clean and new landscaping outside. Rooms were clean. My complaint is with the hotel staff allowing outside people to come in and use the facility (swimming pool, business center and who knows what else - this is all that I saw). Even though I was the paying guest, one of these people actually questioned how long I would be using the internet so that they could use it. The area around the hotel appears to be experiencing a complete overhaul. Consequently this hotel is stuck right in the middle of an older motel and I'm not sure if the other building was a restaurant, bar or just a run down house. The employees/patrons from the motel behind this hotel appeared to be allowed to enter the hotel and use whatever they wanted. The front desk were very friendly with these people. I was with my family and although I have no complaints with the service, room or breakfast in the morning, I just didn't feel safe. This activity seemed to be very unusual compared with other hotels we have stayed in. Consequently, I will not be staying at this location in the future.

• Disliked — Allowing outside people to use facilities
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cleveland-Richfield? Share your experiences!