“Great Place to Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harriet's House & Island Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Put in Bay
Harriet's House & Island Suites
You added Harriet's House & Island Suites to your Saves list
247 Erie Street, Put in Bay, OH 43456   |
Special Offer
CIC GOLF SPECIAL!
Akron, Ohio
“Great Place to Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed over the weekend in September for the 5k race. We had another couple with us and had plenty of room in our suite. If you want great guest services and a nice CLEAN, quiet at night, and close to EVERYTHING - this is the PLACE! What a pleasant surprise - this place is the cleanest place I have ever stayed. Denny was kind enough to get a card table for us to use in our room. (We had a down pour one night and it was nice to play cards in our room) There was coffee and a coffee maker in the room, also a microwave, a full size refrigerator for the beverages! and a hairdryer. I especially liked that there was a locked door to get into BEFORE you get into the entrance to go into your own room. I felt very safe.
We will always stay here when we are at Put n Bay!

Room Tip: This is an excellent location to everything
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Crescent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I just returned from a weekend visit to Put In Bay. Our group of four couples stayed at one of the townhouses operated by Harriet's House & Island suites. The townhouse was very clean and quite honestly the bathrooms were spotless. My problem with Harriet's House was that the townhouse was described on the website as a four bedroom townhouse. This townhouse is in no way, shape or form a four bedroom rental. The first floor does include a bedroom with a door. The second floor includes a second bedroom with a door but also has a bed that has absolutely no privacy. The bed is at the opposite end of the second floor from the bedroom with a door. Let me tell you that when I saw that bed sitting out in the open of the second floor I was absolutely astonished. No door separating that bed from the first floor, the second floor or the third floor. In order to access the third floor you actually have to walk past the bed that is out in the open. You can pick up on that detail on the pictures on the website. Past the bed up the steps to the third floor where there are two more beds in what I would only describe as a sleeping area. No door on the third floor sleeping area. As advertised this place can sleep ten, but should advertised as a two bedroom with additional sleeping areas for six.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

A group of girls and I stay at Harriet's House every year for Christmas in July and every year it is a great experience. The property is always very clean and well maintained. We stay in the building with 4 suites and you need a security code to even enter the building. Christmas in July can get a little crazy at the Bay so our group appreciates all the efforts the owners go through to keep us safe.
There are rules and guidelines to staying at Harriet's House which are pretty consistent throughout all properties on the island which not only protect their property but guest as well. I would highly recommend staying here for anyone looking to have a safe and family-friendly experience. Owners have been nothing but kind and wonderful to us and treat us all like family whether we are staying with them or are just up for the day. Stopping by to say hello is part of every visit to the Bay for us.
One time my husband and I decided to run up to PIB with no hotel reservations and our first stop was to Harriet's House to see if they had any vacancies and when they didn't, Denny(one of the owners) made numerous calls to other hotels to see if anything was available. He was a great help and we were able to stay over night and enjoy our stay. Not sure that any other owners would be so helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I fly in from San Diego for a girl’s trip every summer (10+ yrs) and can't wait to get to the island & Harriet's House! The accommodations are perfect for our group of 7-9 and the staff could not be more professional and helpful. 2 bedrooms upstairs can sleep up to 6 and the living room also has 2 sleeper sofas. There are 2 bathrooms downstairs (1 large, 1 small) that allows groups to get ready at whatever pace; while the kitchen & living room accommodates those ready and waiting. Then there’s also the patio area, which is a fun hang-out spot to catch-up with old (and new) friends and overlooks a meadow where you can sip your coffee (or favorite beverage) in the morning and watch the birds, rabbits and chipmunks. This place is always booked, but they still manage to turn it around, day-after-day, in impeccable condition for their guests. This family-owned business maintains the highest standards and I would love to hire their staff to clean my house because it just doesn’t get any better. HH’s location is right off the beaten path and within walking distance to the hub, but they also offer golf-cart rentals if you want to venture out, which is also highly recommended. I’m counting down the days for our return to the island and Harriet’s House!

Fremont, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I've had the pleasure of staying at Harriet's House for the past 11 years for an annual girls trip over to Put-in-Bay. We have always had a great time laughing, talking and enjoying cool beverages on the table outside. On these trips we've always stayed at the quaint and very clean house. Because of the wonderful experiences I've had over the years I have made additional trips over with couples, sometimes staying in the suites and other times the townhouses. All of which are in top-notch condition. On EVERY visit (close to 20!), I've found the owners to be extremely friendly. They definitely take pride in their property and you can be confident you will have an awesome experience if you choose Harriet's House for your stay at Put-in-Bay.

Perrysburg, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Harriet's house is a wonderful place to stay. I have known the owners and their two girls for years and when I heard they were starting this I knew it would be well run and CLEAN! They are wonderful and highly respected people. I have seen them accomplish so much but I'd have to say this is one of their best adventures yet! Me and my girlfriends have been staying in the house for 11 or 12 years, it's our annual trip. We have been coming every year since they opened except we missed the first. Cannot imagine staying any where else. I have also come with a group of couples and stayed in the suites and also with my children. From a family vacation or a partying time with adults this is great place to stay and has a great location. Not right in downtown so off the beaten path but so close you can walk everywhere. You are also in walking distance to several pool/bars. They are wonderful owners, enjoyable to see and very respectful to their guests. Highly recommend staying here. Me and my GF look forward to it every year! Thanks Denny & Linda for all the great times!! Jami

Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

First of all let me start by saying this place is very nice and very clean. But it is totally not worth the headache of being stressed and worried about getting in trouble the whole time, I felt like I was being watched the entire trip. I went with a group of 10 of my friends for a bachelorette party. We are all women in our 30's and very mature and not a crazy group (we were in bed by midnight every single night). We were hardly in our room but to get ready and to sleep so we were never loud or distruptive. We stayed in the suites which was nice because we were all next door to each other. But, the owners are way controlling. I realize that this is an investment of theirs but I am a very responsible person and we were not tearing things up or being disrepectful at all.
I had friends that came up to hang out with us for a little bit and they were staying back in Port Clinton so instead of riding the ferry back and forth after being at the pool to change out of their wet clothes, I told them it was fine to throw a bag in our room and change in our bathroom. I paid for the place afterall, I think I should be able to let someone use my bathroom. And when we changed and went out one of the girls came and told me there was a notice on our door saying we were going to be asked to leave if "unregistered" guests were in there. OKAY they were CHANGING clothes. They had their own place to stay and it was no big deal they were in and back out in 10 minutes. I was unaware that you werent allowed to have visitors during the day even, and I felt like my dad was yelling at me for having boys in my bedroom again. haha I am not paying extra or getting kicked out over that. So I went up to talk to the owner and I assured him they were only changing and I promised they had their own place to sleep they just didn't want to pay the ferry to go back and forth 4 times. He said okay but he didnt want it to turn into a "sorority/fraternity party." I take offense to that because my group of girls I was with is a very respectful and mature group, we aren't a bunch of crazy college girls so please do not refer to me as that, you dont know me.
Anyways, I let all of that unreasonable drama go and went on with my evening of fun with my friends. We all were back in the room and went to bed and my other friends picked up their bags and left. In the middle of the night our door opened and I thought it was a friend of mine going outside but when we all woke up everyone asked who left the room. No one did.
The next day one of our keys came up missing. We could not figure out how because we had them under the mat in the entryway because there is a code on the door and the other room was my friends so we were safe to leave them under the rug. We were not supposed to check out until Monday, but on Sunday we all decided to go ahead and check out and head back. We walked to the office to tell the owner we had lost a key and we owed him $10 for a lost key. He acted very caught off guard and said "Which one are you missing? oh, oh I have your key, you guys left it in the door last night and I didnt think that was a good idea." First of all, if you left a note on our door once, why couldnt you leave a note saying you had our key from it being left in the door before we tore the whole room apart looking for it? And secondly, like I said there is a code to even get into the building and we knew everyone staying in the building, so we were not unsafe even if it was in the door. I am sorry to accuse, but I am pretty positive that the owner (a man) seriously took our key and opened our door to look in in the middle of the night to see if my other friends were in the room. He thought he had the rest of the day to put the key back before we would realize it was gone because we werent supposed to check out until the next day. To me, that is NOT okay and I am very upset about this happening. A man does not need to come into a room of women without knocking and especially in the middle of the night. What if one of us was getting out of the shower or even sleeping in our underwear?! The owner also comes in to do a walkthrough before you leave and he made a comment like "Funny how messy this room was and now its all picked up!" How did you know our room was a mess if you didnt let yourself in? Because he was never in there when we were.
Also one of our friends took a cab back to the ferry before the rest of us left and the cab driver told her that rumor has it they have cameras in the rooms and stay up all night watching them. I don't know the truth to that because he almost doesnt need cameras he sits outside on his golfcart watching everyone come in and out all night long. I dont think that the man goes to bed ever because he is too busy trying to get people in trouble. I am very disgusted with this place and we will NEVER be back and it is sad because it is a very nice place. Owners are just on a little bit of a power trip and way paranoid that everyone is trying to "sneak" around and do things they aren't supposed to.
Sorry so long, I am just very dissapointed because it is a very very nice place to stay but we wont be back, and every bad review I have read is the exact same complaints that I have. But just wanted to let everyone know to hold onto your keys so you dont have anyone looking in your room in the middle of the night to make sure you arent doing anything you arent supposed to be.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dennis R, Owner at Harriet's House & Island Suites, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and noting how clean and convenient our downtown Put-In-Bay lodging is. We are sorry your stay did not meet your expectations and wish to address and correct a few points in this review.

Harriet's House and Suites has been serving the needs of visitors to the island for more than a dozen years. During that time period we have had the opportunity to meet thousands of guests. Our guests have come from 36 different States and their ages have ranged from infants to 80 year olds celebrating life's journey. They come to the island for various and sundry reasons. Many come to party. Some come to escape the pressures of everyday living and enjoy a relaxed island atmosphere. Others celebrate some significant life event with us such as an impending wedding, anniversary, birthday or family reunion.

The vast majority of our visitors have expectations of us. They want a facility that is safe, clean, and well maintained. In order to meet these expectations, we have established a set of simple and straight forward rules. We require no smoking in our facilities, no excessive noise in the evening when returning from Put-In-Bay's nightlife and only registered guests are permitted in the building. These rules are communicated to our renters in the form of a contract that is sent out weeks before their visit and reviewed upon arrival to the island as they enter their rooms. If our guests feel the need to have an exception to the rules, the opportunity to discuss their concern is given at check-in.

The overwhelming majority of our customers love staying with us as verified by the fact that over 50 percent of our visitors return each year and book with us a year in advance. Unfortunately, some individuals that are uncomfortable staying at Harriet's House feel that rules do not apply to them. Over-occupying a lodging room is against the laws set in place by the Ohio State Fire Marshall and our Insurance. We enjoy conversing with our guests and only those who are attempting to take advantage of a situation feel that they are being watched.

In this particular situation, the owner found a room key in a door lock and for the safety of the guests, the key was removed from the door lock and put in safe keeping. And contrary to the "rumor" that has been expressed, Harriet's House does not have any security cameras on the property, be it inside a guest room or outside on the property. Neither of the owners have ever entered a guest room without permission of the renter. Further, each room is equipped with a chain lock security system to prevent unauthorized egress while the guests are inside their room.

Been to Harriet's House & Island Suites? Share your experiences!