“Just an Ok stay...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BayShore Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Put in Bay
BayShore Resort
You added BayShore Resort to your Saves list
328 Toledo Ave., PO Box 597, Put in Bay, OH 43456   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Put in Bay
WYANDOTTE
“Just an Ok stay...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

After reviewing the comments left by Carol C. I will have to agree with nearly all of what she has posted, going to Put In Bay you understand before hand that this is a summer tourist town and they WILL make their money when they can, where they can and the lodging is no exception, so with that in mind, I will not repeat what has already been posted or described.

During our two night stay we did have a few issues of concern, while nothing extreme, there were still some issues that should be noted.

Check In: It was my intention to pay cash for our entire stay as we did not want to place undue charges on our credit card, however we were advised that the hotel would not refund or credit our first night's deposit stating the owner / manager will not approve any such transaction unless it is a "valid or legitimate" request and also because it "costs the hotel to conduct this transaction".

Sorry, as a guest who is paying the nightly prices that they are charging I feel I am entitled to handle my funds as I see fit, not the hotel. While I understand the need for a deposit to hold the room, my request was not unreasonable and the refusal to honor it did not sit well with me...simply never heard of anyone refusing cash as a payment...

Security: Immediately upon entering the hotel we were approached by hotel security advising us of a cooler inspection stating Ohio code does not allow for patrons to bring any alcohol onto the property.

Please know that we are a slightly older couple that were at the hotel for our 28th wedding anniversary, and did not give the appearance of those who were really looking to "let loose" for the weekend as many visiting the island do. While the possibility that Ohio "could" have such an ordinance that "may" exist I do not recall ever encountering such an ordinance or law in any hotel I have ever stayed at and question how they could restrict an adult from enjoying a beverage in their own room that they have personally brought?

Funny, the two Ohio police officers we met also advised that they were unaware of such an ordinance or law in their own state, I wonder if this has been developed to curtail excessive drinking (understandable) and restrict the purchase of alcohol to the hotel's inflated bar prices?

My concern as well is the manner in which security handles situations such as this, as a retired law enforcement officer it is how you handle your encounters with the public which will determine the final outcome.

Our room was "fairly" clean, and as reported earlier, not lavish or well appointed by any means. While again you have to accept the fact well in advance of where you are going and what the cost will be, it still however stings to know that you are paying excessive rates for what would normally be a fine hotel and this is certainly not.

Could our room have been cleaner, absolutely, again especially at the nightly rate they are charging.

Security: patio door would not lock, at least we were on the 2nd floor.

Over all it was a nice trip, just expensive.

Room Tip: Rooms face the lake and have a beautiful view...I would recommend the 2nd or 3rd floor for noise rea...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
7 Thank DANIEL F

Broadview Heights, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

A lot has been written about the Bayshore and, having stayed there for several years, I agree with most of it. The location is, indeed, perfect. Close enough to town, overloooking the lake, with 2 pools, a hot tub, a tiki bar and restaurant all on site. That is what you pay for. The rooms are not luxurious by any means, but some of the criticisms we have had in the past, which have been echoed by other readers, seem to have improved. The rate, of course, has not been reduced, but the front desk staff on our recent visit was very cheerful & helpful, not surly as we encountered in the past. We had a king room and our mattress was quite acceptable, not awful as in other years. The lobby area and restaurant were very clean and attractive. On the down side, the pool towels were ridiculously small and the bath towels in the room were thin and worn. But - we had fun!

Room Tip: We enjoy the first floor with patio doors leading right out to the grounds.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Carol C
West Chester, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was for a Boy Scout weekend while the boys were under the monument in tents, we decided to be close to the center of it all and still have a place to unwind in a quiet area.
The staff was friendly. They had a security guard manning the entrance which is good since we don't drink and didn't pay to be in a party resort with a bunch of drunks.
The room was on the second floor. Good view of lake and it was screened in so the bugs did not get us.
The queen beds were ok. The bathroom was large and clean. The TV was old and no ESPN. Hmm... maybe they can pay the extra charge and offer to the rooms? No big deal, wasn't there to watch TV anyway.
Glad we chose this after driving through the back area behind the strip. Loud and full of drunks. I was a part of that when I was young but now want to be away from it. This place was the ticket

Room Tip: Turn off the AC when sitting on the back porch so you can have conversation.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank John B
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our biggest concern going into this hotel was the cleanliness of the room. We weren't sure Put In Bay put a priority on clean rooms. This one surprised us though. The room seemed to have all the basics covered. We were able to unwind and not feel the need to avoid anything dirty. Good job by them.

We stayed in a king Jacuzzi room on the first floor from a Mon-Tues. Open area, plenty of room. Easy access to the pools and bar. The place never got noisy, but never seemed dead either. The hotel wasn't right on the main strip, but it was close enough that we could walk downtown without complaining. And that's saying a lot for my wife. Boom.

The best part was the location. Pools and hot tub look right out at the lake. Along with various tables, chairs and benches to have a drink on. Each room faces out that way as well. Saw a great sunrise from that area. The location gives the feeling of detachment, but is also entertaining enough.

Room Tip: If I could go back, I'd request something on the 2nd or 3rd floor. They have screens around the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelwithwhiz
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Me & the Mrs. enjoyed yet another fantastic weekend at the BAYSHORE. The room was clean and well taken care of; pool was quiet but fun, staff was excellent, TIKI BAR rocks with Andrea who is by far and away the best bartender on the island. Drink prices are very reasonable as are the food prices. View is spectacular and the restaurant food is very good, especially breakfast outside. ANY place you stay on the island is expensive, but I feel the Bayshore is worth it because of its location, its service and proximity to downtown action. You are close yet away from the noise if that isn't your thing. You can rent carts, security is present but not overbearing. They want people to have fun without being obnoxious which is fine with us. I think this is the best place to stay on the island and worth every penny for the rest and fun you get. We've stayed here around the same weekend EVERY YEAR SINCE THEY HAVE BEEN OPEN, and we run into the same groups of people who have done the same thing. Cant think of a better compliment for a place when folks keep coming back. The Bayshore does it RIGHT! Thanks for another fantastic weekend!

Room Tip: Tiki bar is best kept secret on the island. Andrea is a great bartender and the staff is very friend...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zonebuster13
Syracuse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here with our family for 3 years. It is a beautiful location and that is what you are paying for. We always get a suite which includes 2 double beds and pull out couch and refrigerator. Do not bring alcohol as it will be taken. That is the other nice thing. Quiet and none of the party groups. We do allow our kids to stay up past 11 so if you are expecting silence at 10, that is a little unreasonable for any hotel--- it is vacation. Pool closes at 11. There are no fitness centers, game rooms, etc that you get with other hotels off the island. I run on the island every morning. The pools this year were more disappointing. I think because it was so cold outside this is the first year that I realized false advertisement on the pools being heated. The hot tub needs to be cleaned. The sides are stained with a fungus that stained my sons shirt. The tiki bar is great as always. Staff is very helpful. Oh--- the beds are the hardest beds I have ever slept in. But I would stay at no other place. Simply beautiful location.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Carolyn W
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Can't beat this walkable location to all things PIB! I heard they were strict with searching coolers and not giving guests extra towels or pillows, but that wasn't much of an issue for us. Hotel is clean and view of Lake Erie is beautiful! Try DJ's next door for an ala carte morning breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013
South Beach Resort Hotel
#2 of 3 in Marblehead
3.5 of 5 stars 247 reviews
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center

Been to BayShore Resort? Share your experiences!