“A one star resort for a four star price” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Put in Bay
San Jose
“A one star resort for a four star price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

I would only recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. First off when we made a reservation many months in advance they required a 50% deposit. OK, but on the day of check-in they charged the remaining 50% to our card rather than at check-out as almost every hotel I have stayed at in the past and no additional charges could be added to your room to include drinks around the pool.

The pool was loud with an even louder DJ and certainly not a place for a family. I know that this is a party island but we were assured that this was a family resort -- Wrong. And there was no restriction that pool guests had to be hotel guests. Drop your credit card at the bar, drink and enjoy the loud DJ. People who were drunk at 3 and 4 in the morning would go up and down halls banging on doors. Security guards were on duty from somewhere around 6PM until I don't know when.

One person in our party had the tail light of his car completely broken. Fortunately it was viewed from the window by another guest and since the security guards had words with a drunk unruly guest in the parking lot the late night before, they were able to track down the culprit and get him to admit to and pay for the damage.

Then there was the evening when 5 or 6 of us were talking in the lobby - all very sober, but perhaps a little loud - were asked by security to leave because the desk staff were unable to hear the phones. This was at 11:30PM. Actually we would have been out around the pool talking except that a near-by sewage plant caused a foul odor due to the wind direction.

One couple in the group (with their two children) had not had their room made up and when they called to complain at 6PM after a day out and about, they were told "Too bad, housekeeping had left" -- Remember we were paying $250.00 per night.

Our room was comparable to a one or two star Days Inn or similar hotel that one might pay 89.00 to 119.00 per night. Unless you are in your late twenties longing for a night out with folks who seemed like college fraternity boys, I strongly suggest you find different accommodations.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

430 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

We have just returned from a weekend at the Conference center. We were there for my Brother's wedding at Our Lady of Sorrow's Church which happens to be around the corner from the Resort and conference center. It was our first time on Put-in-Bay and were a little lost until we came to the resort.
Now mind you almost all of our family choose to stay there and we needed 10 rooms. We range in age from 80 to 20 months. The resort offered a pool with music and free breakfast on Sunday morning.
The part that makes me want to write this review is that after the wedding, a reception on another island and much celebration, I wrote to ask if I could have a breakfast toast to the graduates and retiree in the group. I wanted to bring a family favorite coffee cake and mimosas. I was told to make myself at home, and we certainly did. We even shared the coveted cake with a staff member. I was worried that I might be met with resistance, and found nothing like that to be true.
This is a great place for the young and young at heart.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — music was a bit loud for the older crowd
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

We were very pleased with our stay at the Put-in-Bay Resort and Conference Center. The lobby was fresh and inviting. The pool and bar area was clean, fun and refreshing. Our room was clean and relaxing.
The property is in a great location...close to the downtown area.

• Liked — Close to all the fun of Put-in-Bay!
  • Disliked — Could decorate the rooms more..a little plain!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

We booked a room (a smoking room with two queen beds and a balcony overlooking the pool) a month in advance and they charged our credit card, but when we arrived they told us they were "overbooked" (how does that happen?). They said they would make it right by sending us to another hotel and giving us a golf cart to use. They said we would have a suite, an indoor\outdoor pool and a jacuzzi. Well, where they sent us was a fleabag hotel with a room with 3 full beds (no suite), a jacuzzi that was broken the whole time we were there, they had the door closed between the indoor and outdoor portions of the pool, and there was no smoking. I will assume in the future that the Put in Bay Resort Hotel will treat me as crappy again. Luckily while on the island we passed a place that I will definitely stay in the future.

Stayed July 2008
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

We were going to Myrtle Beach during the summer of 07' but we decided to go to the Put-In-Bay Resort. When we booked, it was a fast simple experence. Check in went fast and smooth, and the staff was nice. Dispite the size of the hotel on the outside, their suites were the biggest I've ever stayed in. The rooms were very clean and the beds, sheets, even the pull out couch was clean and fresh. Trust me, I'm very strict on how clean my sheets, and beds are. The only problem was the parking. We had a Six-Seater golf cart. It was more a pain to park. If I ever go to Put-In-bay again, I definitly will start at this hotel!

• Liked — The size and TV
  • Disliked — Parking --NOT THAT BAD--
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Audubon, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

My husband and I went to the PIB Resort & Conf. ctr. on Sept. 9th-11th (a Sunday-Tues stay) and it was decent for the money ($125 a night for a jacuzzi room). Since we didn't arrive until Sunday afternoon, I cannot comment on the island's activities because NO ONE was there! It was a ghost town. The weather wasn't the best so maybe that contributed to it. The hotel was pleasant, staff nice & helpful, but the bed was as hard as a rock! I honestly cannot understand why a hotel would put such hard beds into their rooms. We were both in pain after only 2 nights. It is a newer hotel so the facilities are stone, tile, etc. so it really could have been cleaner. The bathroom was clean and we did find a cricket in there, but it is an island - I would think you'd have that. The big outdoor hot tub is awesome and the pool was nice but the bar wasn't open, which was disappointing but understood since we were 2 of the very few guests. The island appears to be fun when there are people there if you like to party (we do) but for other travellers with kids, I don't think there is much to do. Older people might like to ride around the island in the golf carts, which is definitely fun. There are plenty of good restaurants - try the perch or walleye fish platters - very good.
I would not stay there again because the beds were so bad but if they changed the mattresses out, I would most definitely stay again.

• Liked — Big hot tub
  • Disliked — Horrible beds - slabs of concrete
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

My husband and I stayed for two nights Labor Day week. We stayed during the week to avoid the crowds. We are in our mid 20's, no children, not active drinkers.

We stayed in room 107 which is on the first floor, smoking room (not by choice), near the end by the excessively loud mainmaintence room. The room contained one queen bed, desk area, in-room, two person Jacuzzi, bathroom without a sink (located oddly in the room...), digital in-room safe, iron and ironing board, and mini-fridge.

Positives:

-In-room safe big enough to store my laptop computer.
-Free WiFi (no need for the Ethernet cord if you have a wireless computer even though they say you need one).
-Room is appealing to the eyes

Negatives:

-Bed is so hard that it caused a bruise in my leg from the broken spring. My husband has back problems and just had a steroid shot prior to this trip. He will now have to go back and get another due to the hardness of this bed. Not recommended for anyone who needs comfort to sleep.
-Pillows are worse. I highly doubt they clean the pillows themselves because they reek of body odor and smoke. The pillows are flat and have no support.
-Room requested was non-smoking and we received smoking. I called a week prior to confirm on reservation and was advised my request was not taken into consideration and was "stuck" with the room or forfeiting my deposit of one night stay ($125).
-Air conditioner runs, but doesn't run continuously as other hotels. I guess for conservation purposes but it drowned out the load maintainance across the hall.
-The walls are PAPER THIN. We listen to the neighbors going at it like rabbits for THREE hours-- seriously.
-Not sure if it's the people or the doors, but you can hear them SLAM every time someone walks out of their room. Quite annoying when you are trying to sleep.
-Everything in the room is cheap and very low quality. You can tell this place is poorly run by the quality of products they use.
-The staff is terrible- arrogant and cocky. We were treated like "tourists" and bothersome. In fact we only met one nice person on this whole island... the nice lady at the Historical Museum was the only one who treated us like people and not like a profit.
-The pool was nice to look at but had a terrible odor. I didn't feel clean entering a pool that had several couples performing a task meant for the bedroom.

In short- If you are a person who likes to drink to get drunk, doesn't care where you sleep at night, likes to listen to loud people at all hours of the night (or too passed out from the boozing), this is the place for you.
BUT- if you enjoy a nice, relaxing vacation, quality service, attention to detail, and RESPECT they stay some where else. From the prior reviews, this may be the best place to stay on the island, so you are better off staying in Port Clinton or Sandusky. I am personally disgusted that PARENTS bring their small children here and surround them with this culture. There should be an age minimum to take the ferry over.

Short comments about Put-in-Bay itself--

Don't expect to eat anywhere decent. Expect to spend a lot of money on cheap crap and TERRIBLE food. Expect to be treated like a money tree and not a person... the islanders come first on this island and the "locals" are rip and ready to treat you like trash. Spend your vacation money by traveling elsewhere.

• Liked — Free WiFi
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!