“Just what we were looking for” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Put in Bay
Clarklake, Michigan
“Just what we were looking for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed during customer appreciation weekend and had a blast! The staff were all very knowledgeable, helpful, and tolerant!
The breakfast was good but it would have been nice to take the food to the rooms if we wanted to.
Will definitely come back :)

• Stayed October 2013

460 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was my first trip back to Put In Bay in over 5 years. Much is the same but it has grown substantially in that time. The Resort Hotel and Conference Center is one of the new additions since I was last there. My friend and I were at PIB for a guys weekend and choose the hotel because of its close location to the heart of town. The suite was very spacious, comfortable and clean. Needless to say that I slept very sound and woke up refreshed each day. The staff was friendly and very willing to help provide advice and a smile. I loved the continental breakfast which had eggs and pancakes in addition to the expected pastries and cereal. Had a great time Saturday afternoon at the pool and Blue Marlin bar. Relaxed atmosphere with upbeat music and people in a party mood. I definitely would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a place to meet people and have a fun weekend.
Another new place for me that I recommend was the Brewery. This is a bar that the locals hang out in late at night because of the great service and ability to carry on a conversation. The bartender Sara was delightful and provided excellent service.

Ft. Wayne, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The room was very clean. The beds and linens were comfy. Soap and shampoo smelled nice. There is a fridge in the room, but no coffeemaker. We had a 2 Queen room that met our needs for our girlfriends weekend. The price of all the hotels/B&B's here are very high, even in the "off" season. There was no breakfast on Saturday morning, but coffee is available in the lobby 24/7. The people at the front desk could not have been nicer to us.
My only gripe here was the lack of a coffee maker. I'm one on those people who wants my coffee in the morning before I even get dressed, so having to get dressed enough to not scare people and drag myself to the lobby and back is not my favorite way to start my day (no hangover either.) At all times of the day we saw people cleaning in the common areas, so they really make cleanliness a priority here and that's what's on the top of my list for a hotel.

We'd never been to Put-in-Bay. We found the friendliest and most helpful people here. After checking in after dark on Fri night, we stepped outside and asked some young people if they could point us in the direction of the restaurants. They didn't just direct us, they TOOK us on their golf cart. We were 4 ladies, early 60's doing our annual girlfriends weekend. We had a great time here.

Fort Thomas, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at this Resort for the first time and was very impressed. It is centrally located to the Village of Put in Bay with everything in walking distance. The resort is well layed out with very clean and nice rooms. Our room had a view of the pool terrace area and that was nice also. The Hotel Staff, and especially Amber and Lisa were exceptional hosts and helped with all our questions about what to do and see on South Bass Island. They were very helpful in recommending restaurants to our tastes.

The vibe around the pool on Saturday afternoon was great with the guests enjoying the pool with swim up bar, and the huge hot tub. Upbeat music put everyone in a happy mood. The staff that works the pool Tiki bar and restaurant were very outgoing and sincerely helpful and provided great food and drink service.

In all, this resort is great and will be a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are entertaining to people watch - others likely quieter.
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

All-in-all the property was OK - nothing special. Room was clean, average to smallish size. The continental breakfast in the morning was the absolute worse I have ever seen. It was the most generic/off brand breakfast out there. The bagel was so thin - well, it compared to a piece of thin bread. Eggs were dry - yogurt was generic/off brand & terrible. Come on folks - show a little pride in what you offer....you're rooms are not budget priced.....don't put the breakfast in that category! We originally booked a Thursday because otherwise we were told we had to book a Friday AND Saturday together, no exception & that didn't work in our schedule. The girl on the phone was blunt and borderline rude. We took a Thursday because we only wanted to stay one night on the island. Later, we were told (by a very nice gal), we could add a Friday to the Thursday. I thought about it for a couple days & thought... Hmmm, that might work out OK. I called back & I asked about the price for Friday & was first informed that I had to make any requests via email. I told her I needed to know if this was possible because I'd have to cancel a night already booked on the mainland before the deadline. She kept saying I had to email the request & again was a rude person (not sure if it was the same girl as earlier) She then told me if I added Friday to Thursday, my Thursday weekday rate changed from $125/night to $175 a night because it was now considered a weekend rate!!!!!! What the heck - I've never heard of such a thing & I do my fair share of traveling. Understand the weekend/week day rate - but I have NEVER-EVER had a place charge me a weekend rate on a weekday just because the 2 days were connected! At that point, I was so furious I didn't even want to stay on the island - but would have lost my deposit. The gal at the desk when we checked in was very pleasant. All-in-all we had a fun time on the island - I just think this place needs to re-think their customer service and perhaps teach some phone skills. OR, maybe business is good enough to be able to do that! I highly doubt we'll stay there again - there are many other options on the island.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Chardon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Had been two years since our last stay here with my employees. We took advantage of the bac-to-school Villa special for a Sunday night. We again thoroughly enjoyed our stay,our check-in staffer Terrance was outgoing,professional and accomodating. My only downside was I never realized that the units only had a sm stovetop and no oven. I had brought food to bake. Luckily a friend was staying somewhere that had an oven and breakfast was saved! I absolutely LOVE staying at the Villas!

Room Tip: Check out the layout ahead of time. The third floor bedroom although nice and quiet is a haul.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed here on my first trip to Put-In-Bay. When I checked in, they needed both the credit card I paid the deposit with and the one I was using the pay the balance. Luckily I had the deposit card as I don't usually carry it with me. I don't really understand why they needed to physically copy a card used months ago but they should tell people if it's a requirement.

The room itself was pretty standard: 2 double beds, TV with some basic cable channels, desk, etc. There were several power outlets near the desk, which was nice, plus a fridge. Plenty of bath towels in the room with pool towels available at the front desk. They provided shampoo and lotion but no conditioner, which was a bit odd.

You have to ask at the front desk for the wireless password. The Internet access is free; however, the service was terrible. There was almost no signal in my room, except when you stood right next to the door. When I mentioned it to the front desk staff, they said to bring my iPad down to the lobby.

After being out and about all afternoon, I came back to find that my room hadn't been cleaned. Housekeeping had somehow missed. The front desk sent someone up in response to my call; she changed the linens and emptied the trash but didn't clean the bathroom or vacuum.

The pool and bar was decent, the music was cool. The bartenders were responsive when you needed another drink and the pizza was pretty good. The free breakfast included some hot items, like biscuits and gravy or waffles, plus the standard fruit, pastry, and cereal offerings. Depending on the time you get down there, it could be quite crowded.

Overall, the staff was friendly and helpful but I definitely wouldn't classify this as a 'resort'.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!