“Average Motel, pricey for October, Great Location” 3 of 5 stars

Commodore Resort
272 Delaware Ave., Put in Bay, OH 43456 (Formerly Commodore Motel)   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Put in Bay
Zanesville, Ohio
“Average Motel, pricey for October, Great Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We booked this motel at the last minute, so we didn't check around much. This is an average motel but it is in a great location. We thought it was a little pricey for October, but the location made up for some of that. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. It is within walking distance to bars, restaurants, shopping, the jet express, etc. It was a nice last minute get-a-way!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Shaker Heights, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

I'm totally surprised by the reviews I am reading. Put in Bay is an ADULT Island. It has nick names like Ohio Cancun and ADULT Disney World. A group of girls and I stayed three nights at Commodore Motel. We were in the newer section and it was great. It wasn't anything super special but it was worth it because of the location. Every hotel on the Island is expensive so if you don't have the money to fork out then don't stay. I would compare this hotel to a Holiday Inn or any other average hotel, it's nothing special but it is clean and convenient. We enjoyed the Subway in our lobby eating Subway after 2:00am was great. The pool bar was a ton of fun! We loved being the first to grab a spot at the pool each morning. Just a reminder, if haven't been to Put In Bay this is an ADULT ONLY pool because it's technically a bar. The DJ was awesome and the drinks were amazing and decently priced! A lot of people visit this pool during the day it's not only for guest of the hotel, but it was so nice and convenient to be close to our rooms so that we could run inside if we needed to. The hotel halls, pool bar, and lobby were noise at times but we expected that. We were there to have a good time, party out butts off, and enjoy out last few days of summer. And that's exactly what we did. We will be back.

PS. Don't bring your car. It's not worth it. There will be nowhere to park and you wont need it since you will be within walking distance of everything. If you want to hit up the other side of the Island you can catch a cheep taxi. Also make sure you take the boat that drops you off on this side of the Island. I can't remember which boat does that but I know one drops you off right in town and the other takes you to the far side of the Island...which would be a little bit of a hike.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Some of the reviewers are complaining about the noise... Put in Bay is loud, especially on weekends. It attracts a party crowd, so if you want to escape for a quiet get-away, try another island (e.g., Middle Bass or Kelley's). Or, as for a room not facing the pool which could be party central till late.

The older section is cheaper than the newer, and OLDER. So don't expect the Marriott. The beds are OK, and the rooms are clean. The newer section is a little nicer. But we thought the value was tremendous.

The pool is a good place to hang out, get a drink, and people watch. The age of the guests varies, with most in their 30s, up to groups in their 50s. (The crowd is younger on weekends).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Canton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

My husband and I were apart of a group of 4 (40+) couples that have stayed every year at the CUDDADOR for the last 3 years. This year was the worst year ever l. Staff was rude, accommodations were horrible, Maid service was less than adequate, and the entire stay at the hotel was a total waste of money. We paid $1100 for a 3 night stay in a room that wouldn’t even meet the standards of a Motel 6. Lighting fixtures were busted and in deplorable condition, mattresses where totally uncomfortable and springs were poking us, the sheets and bed wasn’t changed there were blood and pee all over them, towel rack in bath room was broke, door keys worked. There was no coffee downstairs and when we asked about it we were laughed at and told to go around the corner to the grocery store. The walls are paper thin and keep no noise out what so ever.
I will not give this hotel another dime of my money; my money will go to Put-in-Bay Resort next year.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I was not prepared for the drunk fest in the pool area at this hotel. I am from Portland and I booked this hotel online. I had no idea what a bad experience this would be for my 14 year old son and 87 year old mother! One person was so drunk that he could not stand without assistance and fell several times (in the alley behind the hotel) while unsuccessfully attempting to board a cab. Finally the crowd left the pool area around 9:30 PM, so my son and I thought this was our chance to finally take a swim but NO, the pool was closed! To top it all off, the owner, Ed, was so rude and obnoxious when the pool manager asked me to give him feedback that he actually asked us to pack up and leave! We would have GLADLY left if it weren't 10:00 PM with no other hotel options available. Then, like a child, he yelled to me that he betted there were no hotels in Portland as nice as his - talk about the mentality of a five-year old! I would only recommend this hotel to a person who is in their very early twenties with nothing else on his or her mind than getting totally wasted while listening to blaring music and peeing in a public pool.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Zanesville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

This was our 4th year at The Commodore at Put In Bay. We stay in the new building in a jacuzzi suite directly adjacent to the pool. This years stay was during the Christmas in July celebration which is the biggest weekend of the year. Yes, it was packed with people as we expected. We love the crowds. Each year we have had a wonderful time and will return again next year. Our room is always clean, comfortable and well cared for. Hotel staff has always gone above and beyond in everything we asked. The Mist pool is fantastic with a DJ all day on the weekends. In planning a trip to Put In Bay, keep in mind this is a party island, especially on weekends and after dark, which must be taken into consideration. Since walking is the mode of transportation on the island, and blacktop in the heat sticks on shoes, it is certainly understandable why they choose tile instead of carpeting. Nothing at all scary about the short walk down the sidewalk to the main entrance, so many people in and out of that area all the time. There is a Subway located in the lobby but the best part of that is when they are making their fresh baked cookies. Mmmm, smells wonderful. I would add though this is not a recommended choice if you have children on your trip.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Stow, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

We booked a King with a jacuzzi to treat ourselves for the weekend. The rooms and hallway have NO carpeting, only tile which lets every bit of noise echo through. Did I mention the room was near the lobby.... the lobby with a subway open until 3am? Yep, all the drunks come through when the bars close for their late night munchies. A call to the front desk was answered by a very rude male that told me they were guests and had a right to be at Subway, he then hung up on me.

The morning staff at the desk were very helpful and relocated us to the third floor for the remainder of our stay. The first night in the new room was great, noise was minimal and the bed was comfortable. Unfortunately, can't say the same for the second night - again the drunks staying at the hotel were loud and obnoxious, leaving their doors open and the noise kept us up most of the night. I knew there was no point to call the front desk again.

We'll go back to Put-In-Bay again next year but we'll spend a fraction of the $200 per night cost to the campground, deal with any noise issues and keep the extra money in our pockets. Their pool is open to everyone so why pay for the lousy hotel room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Commodore Resort? Share your experiences!