“Violent Place” 1 of 5 stars

downtown, Put in Bay, OH
Improve this listing
Ranked #31 of 33 restaurants in Put in Bay
Cuisines: American
Description: they have a mechanical bull outside.
Description: they have a mechanical bull outside.
Chardon, Ohio
“Violent Place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife and I were vacationing in Put in Bay last week. We always make a point to spend time at the outside bar at TJ's Smokehouse, before that when it was the Cresent.
Well much to my surprise this time we were sitting at the bar, and the bartender was a dark haired tatted up individual, with a mow hawk. What was unusual was he charged my wife and I for every drink. But did not charge I am guessing his friends ever. I kept checking to see if he was marking a tab. He wasn't. That's to bad for the owners.
Then Saturday night, we are standing at the fence talking to friends who were in TJ outside seating area. We saw this guy walk up and grab a stool to sit on near the bucking bull. The bouncer, who I believe to be the same guy not charging for drinks, gets in a tug of war with this individual and body slams him to the ground??? When his daughters and son run over to assist he and another bouncer, tosses them to the ground and kicks the son. All this over a stool.
Everyone in the family was bloodied. What kind of thugs work at this place.
I can't wait to see what kind of law suite comes of this.
Talk about under trained employees

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

47% Recommend
“Food Good, Service Slow, Restroom Yuck!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

To be fair, we had a large party of 14. But, that being said, it was not crowded for a Sunday after 2:00. Based on another reviewer, I had the pulled pork sandwich and fries. The pork was very tender and not greasy bit a bit watery. The bottom of a nice bun was all mushy. If I was a bun eater, I would have been very disappointed. The Cole slaw was very good and on top of the pork was yummy. It did come with very little
sauce but there was extra on the table. The fries were very good. Others in the party loved the sweet potato fries.

Use the public restroom in the park.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Marion, Ohio
“Very Good - We'll be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We are frequent visitors to the island, but last Sunday was the first time we ate at T J's. I ordered the pulled pork entree and my husband had a hamburger topped with an egg. Both of our meals were very good. Both meals included French fries and the pulled pork entree also included a very small dish of coleslaw. (I wish it had been larger.) The servings of pork and French fries were generously sized and the prices were moderate. It can be a busy place, but it was less than half full when we were there in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. Service was prompt. We have added it to our list of places we will go to again.

It is in a very old building that used to be a hotel. The old ceiling and carved back bar are attractive.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Syracuse
“Ride the bull”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Food was very good. Service very slow. But a place everyone should try. The pulled pork sandwich is great. Sweet potato fries were very good too. Kids love watching people ride the bull. I highly recommend.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dayton
“Excellent Meal and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Enjoyed our dinner here very much. Ate on the patio. Musician playing....town was CRAZY with Xmas in July. They were very busy but our service was prompt and friendly! EXCELLENT food...had the salmon with spinach and potato dumplings. Another in our party had the ribs. They were awesome. Priced fairly well for the portions and quality. Fun to watch the bull riders.
Good atmosphere. We will return!!!

• Visited July 2013