“Horrible Host” 1 of 5 stars
Review of AHOY Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Put in Bay
AHOY Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 19 Put in Bay B&B and Inns
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Horrible Host”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife & I have been coming to PIB for at least 25 yrs & have stayed at a bunch of B&B's & hotels & have never had such a negative experience such as this. The rooms & facility were clean & well kept but the owner, Nick, ruined our annual trip to the island. I suppose if you are over 70 & want a place to sit in silence then this may the place for you. We arrived at 1pm and met another couple there, we were talking in the lobby and got reprimanded that we were talking too loudly. At 4 pm we got yelled at because we had soft iPhone music on. "Breakfast" was lame. Cold cereal and 1 pot of coffee that was gone in no time with no refill. Day 2 my brother & his wife took a day trip on the ferry just to visit for a few hrs. He stopped by our room and Nick came to our door to tell us we could not have any visitors in the room. He was not saying "no overnight guests", he was saying no visitors at any time! Seriously?!? Dont rent the golf carts either, they are the slow electric ones that could barely get up a hill. If you want to way over pay and have no fun in complete silence, then this place is for you. We would NEVER stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ahoypib, Owner at AHOY Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Brian - Sorry if your annual trip to Put-in-Bay was ruined and I acknowledge the one positive sentence in your review about the rooms being clean and well kept. While we expect our guests to have a good time we also expect them to be considerate to other guests - it is not just your room (and other couple) staying in our facility. I realize that you have stayed in various establishments on the island and perhaps expected something different, however we are located in a semi-commercial area and when my neighbors make a comment about the noise on the balcony being at an inappropiate level, then yes, I would ask you to turn the music down. Since the music was at a level for my neighbor to make the comment in the first place then it is fair to say I would have raise my voice to attract your attention. I was merely talking over the volume of the music so you could actually hear me, sorry if you interpreted this differently.

Breakfast - There is a continental breakfast (as mentioned when making the reservation) served between 8am and 10am. After 10am the breakfast is put away providing there are no guests still in the dining area, HOWEVER we sometimes leave the remaining coffee out in case there are some late guests and the cereal is kept on the countertop 24/7. This should explain your comment about the breakfast or lack of it. For the record, the breakfast (served 8am - 10am) consists of a variety of bagels, breads, muffins, danishes, doughnuts, assorted creamcheeses, jelly, fruit, yogurt, cereals, juices, tea and coffee.
If you had been courteous to your host as well as the other guest in the lobby at the time of check in, then you would have heard me mention that breakfast was between 8 and 10am.

Golf Carts - We have electric carts which generally are slower than gas carts. If you had mentioned this during your rental period I could have given you an alternative cart or terminated your rental period.

Policies/Regulations - At the time of check in each room is required to fill out and sign a Guest Registration Form - your signature at the bottom of the form indicates that you have read the policies on the registration.

1) The reserved room is for registered guests ONLY.

3) Guests are asked to respect the house as their own, and respect the privacy of others by maintaining an appropiate noise level.

The room is for REGISTERED GUESTS ONLY, this is common policy for many places on the island so I am a little surprised that you took offense to this when you and the other couple had actually 8 people in the room and the balcony. I KNOW that I mentioned on more than one occassion that the B&B was for registered guests only. The registration form (that you signed) does state that any rules that are broken can lead to immediate eviction. This was not enforced, we want everyone to enjoy themselves, however there is a liability issue at stake with unregistered guests.

Unfortunately Trip Advisor does not have the capability for me to attach a copy of the registration form that you signed, however I would be more than happy to send you a copy if you wish. Hopefully you will have a more positive experience at the next place you stay in Put-in-Bay.
Thank you for your understanding. Nick

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Sweet Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This was our first time at Put in Bay and certainly not our last. We loved this B&B. It was so beautiful and a perfect location. We stayed in the Irish room and loved it. It was clean, beautiful,and the price was right. All of the ammenities were great. Even the soap in the room was green because of the Irish room (though Irish Spring soap would have been fun). Breakfast was great, coffee was excellent, and there were complimentary sodas throughout the day. We could not have asked for a better place to stay.
The only issue we had, and it really wasn't an issue, was we thought this was a "couples only" B&B as it's advertised to be. There were several middle school aged kids running around and getting in the way during breakfast. I was more annoyed with the parents for not minding their children. But I was very shocked that kids were even there.
Another suggestion would be to put together a binder of FAQ about the B&B or the island itself. For example, I didn't know until the last day that we could have rented golf carts from this B&B rather than going into town. Also, we didn't know breakfast times, and when I asked the woman employee, she told me until 11am, but it was until 10am. I went down at 10:30 to get coffee only to have to buy some in town. It would have been nice to know where we could get fresh bathroom towels, too, as they were not replaced throughout the week. These are all minor suggestions just to make this fantastic place even better!

Room Tip: The back villas are nice looking and newer, but I prefer to stay in the main house. The Italian Room...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Strongsville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I decided at the last minute to find a place to stay as we headed up to Put-n-Bay. I found Ahoy, online, and called. He told me that he had an opening and would hold it for us.
This place was pretty and very clean. Our host Nick was very friendly and made us feel at home. We are planning to go again this year and we will be staying at Ahoy!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

My Husband and I made a pretty last minute decision to visit Put-in-Bay. We had never been before, but on the advise of friends, we decided we would give it a shot. I visited www.putinbay.com and found a list of hotels and B&B's on the Island. I did a little bit of research on location and prices. Because I had found a coupon online, I called Ahoy to see if they had any rooms. To my surprise, they did, so we booked it. When I called I believe I was speaking to one of the owners (I'm sorry to say, I don't remember her name!) She was very pleasant to speak with and was able to answer all of my questions and didn't seem annoyed that I had so many...lol!

At her suggestion, we took Miller Ferry over and was able to find the line of Taxis that she promised would be there to take us to Ahoy. If you want to save a buck or two, ask several drivers their prices...they will compete. We were able to get 2 for $5!

Upon arrival at the B&B, Nick the owner met us at the front door. I had read several reviews and people had nothing but great things to say about him. To be honest, my first impressions was that he was a bit rude and seemed to rush us through the check in process. He did tell us that our room was not ready yet and we were welcome to leave our bags and go explore the Island. I have a handicap and am not able to walk long distances so I had asked for a golf cart. Again, Nick seemed annoyed by my request, but asked me to fill out a form and told me it was $60 a day. At this point in was almost 12:30 and it had to be back by 8, so we decided against getting one but figured we could get it the next day.

After we had lunch we went back to Ahoy. We went into the dining room to get our bags and ran into Nick on the way to our room. He offered to show us the way. We were in the new building behind the Main house. Nick let us in the door and showed us to the room, made sure everything was ok and then excused himself.

There are 3 entrances to the "Cottages". When you walk in the main entrance to your cottage directly in front of you in a staircase that goes up to 2 rooms. To your left is the Shared Kitchenette for your cottage and just passed that is another room, which is the one we stayed in. There is also a doorless closet that has some extra sheets and towels. I am not sure if they plan on closing this in in the future, but it was very convenient to have access to it. Once you walk in the building you can smell that it is still new!

Our room was a pretty good size. Again, I know the building is new, so I am sure they are still in the process of completing last minute details so it didn't bother me much that there was molding and such that still needed to be done. Although very spacious our room only had a king size bed, a TV on the wall and a super small table with 2 stools in the corner. There is plenty of room for them to put a dresser or two in, but again, that may be in the future plans. The floor in our unit was all tile. Very pretty, but somewhat cold so I was happy that I brought slippers with me.

The bathroom was also very spacious with a HUGE step in shower. There was a set of towels for each of us along with a full size bottle of Suave Shampoo and Conditioner, a full size bottle of Suave body lotion, liquid soap and 2 bars of soap for the shower. Very nice!
Also in the room is a dorm size fridge that sits on the floor. They had provided some snacks as well! They do offer cold drinks, but they are in the main house.

Overall, the room was extremely clean, as it should be since it is new. I have a habit of tearing apart my hotel rooms because I used to work in the hospitality field and have seen some of the things that go on. So, I did check the floor in the bathroom corners for hair. I did tear the bed apart to check for clean sheets and signs of bedbugs and took an alcohol pad to the remote control. Everything passed my test!

We were very lucky to have nice "housemates". We spent most of the first night outside at the table and chairs provided getting to know our new friends.

A little about Nick. As I said earlier when we first arrived, I didn't have a very good first impression, but I have to tell you, the man is not afraid of work. He was working on the yard, or the Golf carts, or going around making sure all the outside lights were on as it got dark. We saw him digging holes in the yard to put posts up all while taking calls from his cell for reservations. We stayed for 2 days and as we got to know Nick, he turned out to be a great guy. I don't know if he was having a bad day when we arrived or if something was on his mind, but he redeemed himself...lol! Sorry Nick! :-)

My only complaint, which has nothing to do with the B&B itself, but it's location is that I was able to hear the Bass from the music at the nearby club until 2:30 in the morning. I have trouble sleeping anyway, so I was awake to hear it. My husband nor any of out housemates heard it since they were sleeping. Otherwise the location was great.

Some suggestions I would have for them...Discount the price of the Golf Carts for your guests. We were able to find places to rent them cheaper on the strip. And, put a refrigerator with drinks in each Cottage Kitchenette. It was a pain to have to go to the main house to get something each time. Although you could take a few and put them in the fridge in your room, I didn't want to take away from the rest of the guests.

A tip for you....Your room door is unlock-able and the main door closes automatically so even if you are going to just sit outside...make sure you have your key!!

I would highly recommend Ahoy to anyone looking to stay at a B&B. They will sure be seeing us again!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ahoypib, Owner at AHOY Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you so much for your recent review, we really appreciate that you took time to share your impressions. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I would like to apologize, if you felt like being rushed through the check-in process. Nick was probably busy getting the rooms ready, so they would be available at 3PM, whch is the actual CHECK-IN TIME . If any guests happen to arrive early, we do let them store their luggage until the 3PM check-in, so they can go and explore the island and not worry about the suitcases... Otherwise, we take time to make each guest feel comfortable and informed during the check-in process AFTER 3pm.
You stayed in our new Villas, wich we just opened few weeks ago. We are still in process of finishing, decorating, improving inside and outside on daily bases. You saw that Nick doesn`t take a break, lol... Our goal is to provide a quiet and comfortable lodging in the Front house, and the Villas.
You also mentioed that the room doors in Villas are unlock-able. I need to correct you, because each rom, including the entrance doors, has a key and nobody is able to get in without a key. Special locks are installed for the security and liability purposes, therefor each door is locked all the time. Nobody is able to get inside without a key. But we are always around to help...
Thanks again for the review, and we are looking forward to seeing you next year!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

My wife and I were given a gift for our 25th anniversary by our daughters - a trip to South Bass Island in Ohio, their favorite summer destination. We drove from Chicago, took Miller Ferry and tired but excited checked in Ahoy Bed&Breakfast. Nick, the owner, offered us some soda and helped carry our luggage upstairs to the Russian Room. We were amazed how spacious the room was. Nick suggested couple restaurants where to get good food, and told us about local attractions and places we would enjoy visiting. He pointed out to the maps and many discount coupons laying on the shelf available for the guest, which was nice.They even keep the menus and specials for local restaurants, which we read on the porch and decided where to go for dinner. Our stay was very enjoyable, island was beautiful, and accomodation great. Very neat and clean and comfortable. We would love to come back in the future and bring our friends too. And we would definately stay at Ahoy B&B again. Thank you Nick for your great hospitality!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to AHOY Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!