“Put in Bay: Happening Party Town!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Put in Bay
Park Hotel
You added Park Hotel to your Saves list
234 Delaware Ave, P.O. Box 60, Put in Bay, OH 43456   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Put in Bay
Ohio
“Put in Bay: Happening Party Town!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

I live just an hour or so south of the Port Clinton/Catawba area and have been to PIB a couple times. Here are some observations and recommendations I'd like to make if you're planning a trip to the island:

I always take Miller's Ferry to South Bass Island because it's cheaper than Jet Express and you can take your vehicle over on the ferry. It's slower than the Jet but I always enjoy the ride over, and it usually only takes about 20 min. anyway. When you get to the island, take in some of the scenery. There are tons of little B&B's to add charm to the surroundings as well as quaint shops etc. But watch out for the golf carts if you bring your own vehicle because they are everywhere!

Both times I've stayed at PIB, I've stayed at the Park Hotel which is right downtown in the middle of all the action. It's a very nice victorian-style hotel and all the bedrooms are decorated differently. You will have to use a community bathroom, but it's not bad at all. On one of the floors, the girls bathroom has three toilet stalls and three shower stalls. On another floor there is only one toilet and one shower for girls but you can always go to the other floor and use that one if it's occupied. And the security is good too, you can't get past the front desk to get to your room without showing your ID, so make sure you have it with you at all times!

Downtown PIB totally comes to life on weekends, especially at night. There are several popular establishments such as the Round House (right next to the Park Hotel!) which always plays awesome music or has awesome live bands. Then there's my other favorite, the Beer Barrel Saloon, which boasts having the longest bar in the world. Pat Dailey does a lot of live shows there so make sure you catch him if he's there when you visit. You'll have to pay an extra fee to get back to the stage where he plays ($7 I think) but if you don't want to pay that much, you can still hear him play if you're up in the front of the bar. Also, you have to try Frosty's pizza because it's the best! After the downtown bars close for the night, you can take a taxi out to the Skyway which stays open much later. By the way, the taxis are pretty reasonably priced. If I remember correctly, we paid around $15-20 for a car load.

Here are my words of caution: if you're planning a family vacation, do NOT go to PIB on weekends! Or if you do, stay away from the downtown part. It is a MAJOR party scene and there are a lot of "shenanigans" that go on that you wouldn't want your little kids to witness. I have heard that it's much calmer to visit during the week so you might want to go then if you're interested in a family vacay. It's geared toward the 20's and 30's party crowd so if that doesn't interest you, don't go. You'll only waste your time and money. Try going to Kelley's Island instead which is much more family-oriented and also has a nice beach/campground and the glacial grooves park.

But if partying IS your scene, you'll love it! My friends and I call PIB "The Happiest Place on Earth!" LOL It's fun whether you're single or not, but I will admit that I had more fun the time I went when I was single. Everything is no holds barred so be ready for anything! Of course there are cops patrolling the streets so be aware of that!

When I go, we have fun just cruising the island during the day in a rented golf cart and visiting places like the Perry monument, winery and cave and all the little souvenir shops, or hanging out at the state park beach, then going back to the hotel to shower and change and get ready for a night of partying!

All in all, I have nothing bad to say about PIB. But again, make sure you understand how wild it can get! Other than that, you will have the time of your life!

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about PIB or the Port Clinton area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2005

Stay at the Park !! Close to the action. Clean rooms, excellent location , and a bargain as far as Put in Bay hotels go. The Inn is rumored to be haunted. However on our two day vacation, we saw no ghostly happenings. Located right next to the Round House Bar, one of the most popular hangouts on the Island. Right across the street is beautuful De Riveria Park . Frosty's is right on the corner, they have the coldest draft beer around and serve an awesome breakfast.

• Stayed August 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2004

This is a perfect hotel for the younger generation because of the inexpensive rates and the fact that the hotel is right next to the Roundhouse Bar. Not a hotel for couples or quiet evenings. We had to share a community bathroom but everything was very clean and neat. For the money, I would definately stay again!

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!