“Best Hotel in Portsmouth (Rosemount)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn

You added Comfort Inn to your Saves list
Comfort Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5100 Old Scioto Trail, Portsmouth, OH 45662 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portsmouth
West Union, Ohio
“Best Hotel in Portsmouth (Rosemount)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had a recent comfortable stay at this motel, which is located on a hill just a few miles north of Portsmouth. The room was clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. I was in room 127. There was no problem with noise from the outside. Free breakfast is provided.
I had stayed at another motel downtown, part of a national chain, which was definitely below standard for those facilities. In contrast, this Comfort Inn exceeded my expectations. It will be my go-to choice for this area.
The only negative, and a small one, was that the woman at the desk was a bit rude, a couple times, as I was checking in. There were no other customers around but myself, and nothing difficult about the process of checking in. I already had a confirmed reservation.

Room Tip: 127 was fine.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay at Comfort Inn in Portsmouth Ohio. We pride ourselves in being #1 in Customer service and we hope that on your next visit you will receive great service. We love hearing that all the hard work we do here at the hotel shows to you the guest. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Sharon Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Kenton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2014

We were in the area to visit Portsmouth. Hotel isn't far from downtown and plenty of places to eat along route 23. We had a room on the parking lot side. The heater fan had a noise that was annoying. We were moved to a room on the other side of the building. Amazing how much traffic noise you hear on that side and then there are the trains. Breakfast was as expected. The attendant was good keeping food items out. We would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: if you are a light sleeper get a room on the parking lot side
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 30, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding the Comfort Inn of Portsmouth Ohio. We realize that the noise from the highway and the trains can be distrubing to some travelers, however the view on the west side of the hotel can be worth it. With the fall colors at their peak, this gives a beautiful backdrop to the Eagles and Hawks soaring through the Scioto River Valley. This is an amazing sight to spot these beautiful birds. Our hotel is engulfed with the beauty of the trees and wildlife both in the Spring and Fall. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope on your next adventure that you have been able to spot one of our beautiful birds.
Bucyrus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

I have given this Comfort Inn "good" reviews in the past....& just want to confirm in 10-2014, that they are still our Portsmouth choice. We stayed there again 10-01-14 for a family funeral trip....& got the same comfortable stay in Room 123 as always with friendly "go-getter" staff on hand too. They're taking good care of the facility, & most of all, of the customers still yet today. The breakfast is a great start to the next morning too. The lady attending that was keeping on top of keeping it well-stocked with a nice array of choices from a homemade waffle on the spot to sausage, biscuit, egg, gravy, toast, hot or cold cereals, yogurts, milks, juices, coffee, tea, fruit, bagels, donuts, muffins, & several things I may not have mentioned. But if you go away hungry, it would be your own fault.

The bedding is very comfortable & the rooms are spacious & well furnished with modern amenities of all kinds. I know if there's anything you might lack, checking with staff would remedy any situation- for they are obviously there to serve.

They are there to protect safety on many levels as well....such as my finances! For example, my husband checked in while I was still gathering up items from the car to bring in. So he used our debit card at that point, which only has my name on it. Since I was not inside yet, I needed to identify it was me when I came in. AND I THANK THEM! So many times, I stand at counters where a plastic payment is taken & no identity verification is ever sought. But then pay with cash & they'll have to verify the $'s real....which tells me that if the crime would "hurt the business, they care- but not if it hurt the individual victim say of the stolen plastic"? BUT not the case at this Comfort Inn, she was warding off that danger of someone using a stolen debit card or anything of the sort! I so appreciated the effort to be sure we were the rightful user! So keep up the good work at the desk Comfort Inn. I was in no way offended at any point. It was done w/class & professionalism, but for my credit protection too.

Before we left, I forgot to mention to them that I was missing the Gideon Bible in the room anywhere that I could find. (I hope that meant the visitor just before us found need of it & made it their own!) I find we use it at some point on an overnight stay for devotion time w/the Lord. I carry one in vehicle, but it's nice to think no matter who might seek one, it's available too though. I know there's some controversies out in the world of having them available in rooms. I would doubly support a hotel that would take the stand to say "you bet ya, it's in every room". There's so much addictions & such going on, that any chance for help in the night from that Bible available that's been provided by people such that have prayed for that person even before the situation happened....that God works it out to be there. But God does that with willing people to make that Bible be available. So I hope that every hotel manager checks their rooms for Bibles, even if you choose to place it inside a drawer there. If you need more, contact Gideons- it will be taken care of. You never know whose life that could change! If you choose to take a stand on the controversy of Bible availability there, Manager, then I advise you to make the choice on the side of God....for then your business will truly be blessed. I hope you take the time to do an inventory of Bibles for all the rooms. God WILL bless that.

This hotel has been our go-to hotel for many years when we do come for family functions several hours from our home. We've been to others there in Portsmouth in the past right there on the route 23 & thru Portsmouth next to the Ohio River there. This is the best choice in that line-up, and not the best of the worst either....they care about the customer. So book your room, & I seriously doubt you'll be sorry. We haven't ever been.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 6, 2014
Thank you for letting others know that we are providing the care and comfort for all our guests. The staff work hard to do their jobs and appreciate knowing that others see their hard work.
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here while she was visiting Shawnee State University. They offered us a very good rate. It is not the closest to the campus, being several miles north of town, but I am a Choice Hotels member and the setting is quiet and lovely. The room was spacious and clean and the beds and bedding felt like a much more luxurious hotel. Even my 17 year old daughter commented on the comfortable bed and she rarely notices that sort of thing. The only drawback was the lack of outlets to charge phones, laptops, etc. Breakfast was also good with waffles and other choices. The staff was very helpful and friendly. If my daughter chooses Shawnee State we may be back often.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2014
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay with the Comfort Inn in Portsmouth Ohio. You'll be happy to know Choice Hotels have implented a program to have all hotels install more outlets to allow for the modern technology. Our hotel had began this practice by installing lamps with additional outlets to make like easier for our guests. By the end of the year you will see more outlet spaces. We do hope that your daughter enjoyed her visit to Shawnee State and that we will become your home away from home.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

The hotel was fairly clean, and the bed was comfortable. The staff seemed nice and they had an OK free breakfast. I noticed that the outside of my room window was dirty and there was some dings and so forth on the walls in my room, but for the most part it was very presentable. The only thing negative that I found was a used washcloth hanging on the top of the shower curtain and there were a couple of hairs from the last guest that were hiding in the curtain and on the edge of the tub. The house keeping apparently didn't think to open the shower curtain to have a look around.
Other than that, i'd say the cost of staying there was reasonable and I would consider staying there again. It sure beats the Super 8 down the street which is a total flea bag of a place. I would not even let my cat stay there, even if it was for free.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to inform other travelers of your recent stay at our Comfort Inn. We apologize for the oversights in your room and have shared your feedback with the housekeeping staff. We look forward to your next stay and hope that you will experience a great stay.
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The Comfort Inn in Portsmouth Ohio is much better than the average Comfort Inn. I'd had bad experiences with Comfort Inns elsewhere, but tried this Comfort Inn because of the good reviews on TripAdvisor.

I was pleasantly surprised when I stayed there in May 2014. This motel is clean and comfortable. There isn't anything fancy about it, but I don't need fancy.

Despite the presence of the many construction workers who were also staying there, I slept better there than at any other motel on my trip. The construction workers must've tiptoed around when they got up in the morning; I didn't hear a peep out of them.

The stairway carpet was a bit worn. No big deal.

The motel staff had already started clearing away the included breakfast fifteen minutes before breakfast was supposed to end. However, they cheerfully hauled it all back out.

Note that you will probably need to make reservations ahead of time because of the aforementioned construction workers. There are road construction projects near Portsmouth and construction workers must read TripAdvisor too.

This motel is located a bit north of Portsmouth. If you're headed north, you'll pass the entrance road before you see the motel, so you'll need to make a U-turn and come back. Then you have to drive up the steep driveway to the motel itself.

Convenience stores and gas stations are conveniently located just south of the motel. A
Walmart store is located east of Portsmouth. The tourist info center in downtown Portsmouth is very helpful.

Room Tip: My room was on the side awy from the highway. I didn't hear any noise from the highway or the t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding the Comfort Inn of Portsmouth Ohio. The staff love to hear the great feedback regarding their hard work. I encourage the staff to read the reviews as this helps them improve on their skills. We want all all travelers to feel they have come home for a visit not with just their own families but with our Comfort Inn family. Thank you again and we hope to see your return soon.

Sharon Smith
Worthington, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I recently had to stay here for 10+ days due to my mother's death. The staff at the Comfort Inn-both the front desk and room attendants-were excellent and understanding for us. The room was immaculate, the bed was very comfortable, and the facilities were clean. The complimentary breakfast was good, as the attendant kept everything well supplied. There were fresh chocolate chip cookies at the desk every afternoon, which was a nice touch. I had to make arrangements for several rooms for other family coming in from out of town, and all the front desk staff were very good in accommodating all my requests. All in all, for a town the size of Portsmouth, the Comfort Inn is an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!