“Nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn to your Saves list
Comfort Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5100 Old Scioto Trail, Portsmouth, OH 45662 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Portsmouth
OH
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We were in town due to a relatives hospitalization. The staff was fantastic to us from the phone call to reserve the room, til our check out time. Friendly staff all the way around! The room was comfy, with a flat screen tv. The cleanilness of the motel was very good. Lots of clean towels, bathroom was exceptionally clean as well as rest of our room. They have a pool, which we didn't use, but we did use the excercise room and even tho it only had 3 pieces of equipment, it served the place well. I'd stay here again, if in the area. The Continetinal breakfast was great. They had a great selection of breakfast food, with a well set up area, compared to other motels which offer breakfast. You want to know what my complaint was? We couldn't stay and relax another day here. To the staff here, Keep up the great work. People complaining on this particular motel, need to understand they aren't paying for a luxury resort, so it won't be a plush/posh room, but they will get a clean, bug free, stink free, comfortable, safe room,well worth the money! The beds were checked for the dreaded bedbug signs and found NONE!! You can't always get a promise of this in high end motels. You will like this place if you are normal and not a complainer. Some people couldn't be satisfied it they had a penthouse suite. Just saying to anyone who reads the reviews, this place is a nice place for the money! Don't pass it up for a more expensive place, you will be sorry.

Room Tip: Bottom floor had excess exits besides the main entrace, making it easy to carry stuff in/out of room...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

I guess from what I read this is a good as it gets in the area. But if that's the case next time I will sleep in a tent in a campground. I do not believe that's the way it should be. I paid a decent price for a whirpool room. Thinking it would be similar to the one I had rented in Charlottesville, VA not so long ago. Wow, not the same. Upon opening the first room I set my self down and looked toward the whirpool tub as I had driven quite a distance and was looking forward to the relaxation. It had hair and soap scum and the jets were dirty and brown. I went to the front desk and offered to show it to him. He believed me right away and gave me a new room. I entered the the only other whirpool room they had and it was slightly cleaner. He said if there was anything else he could do to let him know. I was so exhausted I gave up. I ran hot water through the tub and jets and hoped for the best and tried to ignore the fact that I just knew I was sitting in dirty water. The water main broke (they said the next day) so the water was brown. Nobody said anything about it though so I thought it was just nasty well water, but no it was broken pipe debris, sweet. The jets worked but one, of course. As I lay in my dirty tub and looked at the walls I began to realize the dirty black marks on the walls from goodness knows what activity. There were footprints on the walls across from bed, Nice. The whole room was disgusting. I will say the towels and sheets appeared clean, that were mine but wait brace yourself, not all the towels in the room were for me.. HERE is the icing on the cake. In the bathroom, the floor was not only dirty, and had hair, but on the floor in the corner was a balled up, discolored washcloth. GAG!!! Goodness knows what that little treasure contained. I just settled into my nightmare and tried to sleep and once all the children in the rooms next door and across the hall stopped going in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out,about midnight I fell asleep. Breakfast was actually pretty ok and the lady they have hired to run that seems to really care about her job and her area is clean, food stocked, right temperature. It was not good overall though and not at all what I expected from Comfort Inn. I will not ever be back to this location. Like I said, invest in a tent. It will be cleaner, quieter, and you will have something worthwhile to take back home.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Sharon S, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Negative feedback can result in a positive for the staff. Our staff complete a training process no matter how long they have been with the hotel. Sometimes we all just need a little retraining and when we receive negative feedbacks, those members involved in a negative feedback our retrained. We hope that this was just an isolated problem and that we have learned from the mistakes. We have people that stay with us that come to Scioto County fairgrounds for different events such as the Swap Meet June 2-3 and the Scioto County Fair in August.
Elk Grove village, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I heard that this place is the cleanest in the area. The room was clean but needed new tile work in the bathroom and the walls needed refinishing. All of a sudden, I heard this loud noise and thought that an airplane was landing right next to me but it was a train! My husband said, "Why would anyone build a hotel next to a train track?"

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We realize that being located beside the train tracks and a highway can be quite distrubing to a lot of guests. We try our best to accomodate guest away from the west side of the building. The best part of the west side of the hotel is the beautiful view of the Scioto River Valley and the Shawnee State Forest. The sunsets can be so beautiful and calming that can make the stay quite enjoyable.
Norwood, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stayed at this Comfort Inn on 9/23/11 and was completely satisfied with my choice. There were only 4 hotels in Portsmouth that I could find. We were in town for the Shawnee Family Weekend being promoted by the college. I would have liked to have stayed a little closer, but it only took 10 minutes to get to Shawnee. I got a AAA rate of $76 for a nice room with 2 double beds. My husband thought the place looked a little dated, but I thought it was pretty nice. I usually like queen size beds when I choose a hotel, but they were so comfortable that it made up for the smaller bed. The TV in the room was the smallest I have seen lately, especially since so many have now updated to flatscreens. This was only a 19" TV, which may be unimportant to a lot of people, but I thought worth mentioning. The room had a microwave & large refrigerator too. The bathroom was large with the shower having good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The room was very quiet and I heard absolutely no train noise that some have mentioned. There was also a workout room and indoor pool that we didn't use, but looked at. The pool was small and not exactly the cleanest I've seen. Morning breakfast was from 6-9:30 daily. Disappointing on the weekends that it wasn't later, especially since we went to bed late. Breakfast was adequate and maybe we are all getting a little snobby saying that these days. Seems like we expect a lot more than the average complentary breakfast. lol. There were plenty of choices from hot to cold foods, but I have had better. I was slightly annoyed by the lady in charge of filling the breakfast because she kept telling everyone that it was over at 9:30. Guess it was because there were so many people there around 9. If you need a place to stay while visiting Shawnee State University or for any reason, I would reccommend this Comfort Inn.

Room Tip: I was in room 125 which was nice since I didn't have to wait for the elevator. It was right nea...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
We enjoy having the families of Shawnee State students. We also realize that as parents with college students funds become tighter than when they were at home. We gladly offer discounts to our parents when visiting just mention that you are visiting the university to our front desk staff for those discounts. Our staff can also assist you in finding the best places in town to eat such as the Scioto Ribber. The Ribber is within a block of the university.
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This was the Holiday Inn Express until recently. Within the past year, it was fully re-modeled. New furniture, beds, carpet, vanities, etc. Very nice hotel and clean. The people were nice, as well. It is up a huge hill with a good view of a valley. Be aware that the rooms with the view of the valley also have the noise of the trains. The quiet side is away from the road, valley and trains, but no view.

Room Tip: Valley view = Train noise.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Room was very well kept and clean no issues to speak of breakfast was great

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Our Comfort Inn, is located in the rural area of Portsmouth OH. We are within a 5 minute drive to the downtown area and to the Portsmouth Raceway Park. Summer time racing is just around the bend beginning in May. We appreciate all feedback on our hotel.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Must say the king bed was exceptionally comfortable and the water pressure was surprisingly strong- which is a plus. The first night the fire alarm went off and I noticed no one even checked to see if visitors were evacuating or to tell us it was fine to go back in-- seemed a bit odd. The first two nights we were on 1st floor- very loud air conditioner in room. We requested to move up to the 2nd floor after we found out that the people up stairs were going to WWF wrestle all night and jump off the beds till 2 am. The stay got MUCH better after the very nice young gentleman at the desk not only moved us to 2nd floor, but gave us the jacuzzi suite AND knock a little off the price !! That was impressive!
The 2nd floor suite was SO MUCH BETTER--- the bathroom was much nicer and no noise ! ( Oh yeah- newer air conditioner upstairs too - quite!)
Breakfast was passable - nothing to write home about.
The friendless of the housekeeping was GREAT!! We didn't need anything extra but everyone we passed in the halls were extremely pleasant.
Work out area very small and hot :(

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your response. Our staff appreciate all feedback and we are proud that we take customer care important. However, sometimes staff may so to speak "drop the ball". This is when retraining is given so that we are top in the customer service area. This summer the area will be hosting the Ohio Challenger baseball tournment, this will be an exciting time for our area. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay.

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!