“Good place to stay for college visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn

You added Comfort Inn to your Saves list
Comfort Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5100 Old Scioto Trail, Portsmouth, OH 45662 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portsmouth
Norwood, OH
“Good place to stay for college visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stayed at this Comfort Inn on 9/23/11 and was completely satisfied with my choice. There were only 4 hotels in Portsmouth that I could find. We were in town for the Shawnee Family Weekend being promoted by the college. I would have liked to have stayed a little closer, but it only took 10 minutes to get to Shawnee. I got a AAA rate of $76 for a nice room with 2 double beds. My husband thought the place looked a little dated, but I thought it was pretty nice. I usually like queen size beds when I choose a hotel, but they were so comfortable that it made up for the smaller bed. The TV in the room was the smallest I have seen lately, especially since so many have now updated to flatscreens. This was only a 19" TV, which may be unimportant to a lot of people, but I thought worth mentioning. The room had a microwave & large refrigerator too. The bathroom was large with the shower having good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The room was very quiet and I heard absolutely no train noise that some have mentioned. There was also a workout room and indoor pool that we didn't use, but looked at. The pool was small and not exactly the cleanest I've seen. Morning breakfast was from 6-9:30 daily. Disappointing on the weekends that it wasn't later, especially since we went to bed late. Breakfast was adequate and maybe we are all getting a little snobby saying that these days. Seems like we expect a lot more than the average complentary breakfast. lol. There were plenty of choices from hot to cold foods, but I have had better. I was slightly annoyed by the lady in charge of filling the breakfast because she kept telling everyone that it was over at 9:30. Guess it was because there were so many people there around 9. If you need a place to stay while visiting Shawnee State University or for any reason, I would reccommend this Comfort Inn.

Room Tip: I was in room 125 which was nice since I didn't have to wait for the elevator. It was right nea...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Sharon S, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
We enjoy having the families of Shawnee State students. We also realize that as parents with college students funds become tighter than when they were at home. We gladly offer discounts to our parents when visiting just mention that you are visiting the university to our front desk staff for those discounts. Our staff can also assist you in finding the best places in town to eat such as the Scioto Ribber. The Ribber is within a block of the university.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This was the Holiday Inn Express until recently. Within the past year, it was fully re-modeled. New furniture, beds, carpet, vanities, etc. Very nice hotel and clean. The people were nice, as well. It is up a huge hill with a good view of a valley. Be aware that the rooms with the view of the valley also have the noise of the trains. The quiet side is away from the road, valley and trains, but no view.

Room Tip: Valley view = Train noise.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Room was very well kept and clean no issues to speak of breakfast was great

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Our Comfort Inn, is located in the rural area of Portsmouth OH. We are within a 5 minute drive to the downtown area and to the Portsmouth Raceway Park. Summer time racing is just around the bend beginning in May. We appreciate all feedback on our hotel.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Must say the king bed was exceptionally comfortable and the water pressure was surprisingly strong- which is a plus. The first night the fire alarm went off and I noticed no one even checked to see if visitors were evacuating or to tell us it was fine to go back in-- seemed a bit odd. The first two nights we were on 1st floor- very loud air conditioner in room. We requested to move up to the 2nd floor after we found out that the people up stairs were going to WWF wrestle all night and jump off the beds till 2 am. The stay got MUCH better after the very nice young gentleman at the desk not only moved us to 2nd floor, but gave us the jacuzzi suite AND knock a little off the price !! That was impressive!
The 2nd floor suite was SO MUCH BETTER--- the bathroom was much nicer and no noise ! ( Oh yeah- newer air conditioner upstairs too - quite!)
Breakfast was passable - nothing to write home about.
The friendless of the housekeeping was GREAT!! We didn't need anything extra but everyone we passed in the halls were extremely pleasant.
Work out area very small and hot :(

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your response. Our staff appreciate all feedback and we are proud that we take customer care important. However, sometimes staff may so to speak "drop the ball". This is when retraining is given so that we are top in the customer service area. This summer the area will be hosting the Ohio Challenger baseball tournment, this will be an exciting time for our area. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay.
Defiance, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011 via mobile

A converted former HI Express, you can see why HI divested the property, no flat screen, slow Ethernet, worn fixtures reasonable low end property.

• Stayed June 2011
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

Free upgrade after I asked. Breakfast was good, The room was clean and the bed was good with nice bedding. The front clerk wasn't super friendly but she was fine. They need a TV in the fitness room is my only complaint.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Versailles, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

This truly is the best option in Portsmouth...and while there ARE other motels around, I feel like it's the "only game in town. Really...the only other TRUE option worth your while would be Shawnee State Park Lodge...and that is quite a drive out from Portsmouth...and a bit more expensive than the Holiday Inn Express. I grew up in this area, and so I know the ins/outs of the town fairly well. The location of motel is not great - I mean it's in a fine part of town, but it IS just off a 4 lane highway...so bring your ear plugs, if you are a light sleeper; also - there is an active train track just across from the hotel. I would suggest requesting a room NOT facing the road/train track...but if that's not possible - EAR PLUGS. I used mine, and did fine.

Staff was friendly, hotel was very clean. For the rate I paid (triple A rate), I was pleased. We used the pool...and that could use a little updating, but it was a nice "break" for my 9 year old.

They have a complimentary breakfast... offerings were fine. If you want a little something more, there is a McDonald's less than a half mile down the road. And, if you really want to fill up, there is a Bob Evans in down town Portsmouth.

I will stay here again - I don't have any complaints, motel served its purpose. Bed was comfortable, too.

Portsmouth is not exactly a hotspot of activity any more (which is sad to see), but if you are there for an overnight or on some business - you can find some chain restaurants (like Bob Evans, Damons and Applebees, and BW 3s). Fast Food available as well.

The people are nice and friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!